Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Nov 24, 2002, 4:06 PM   #1

Default Fine Pix 3800 versus the HP 850

Can anyone with experience help me out here. I want to buy a digital camera before Christmas and have attempted to narrow the selection down to a Cannon S30, a Fuji 3800, and an HP 850. I've looked at the specs and like the three of them. The latter two are very much alike and am leaning towards the HP with all of its input and output ports. The Fuji uses the new XD memory chips which are supposed to be better than whatever else everyone else is using. I want everything for under $350! A little help here please!!
VeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2002, 8:47 PM   #2

The HP 850 isn't in your price range. It's more like $500. If you can afford that, try the Olympus C-730. If you want the zoom (which is a great thing) for less, go for the Fuji. But you still won't get everything for under $350, unless you already have rechargeable batteries, a charger, and enough memory.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 8:45 PM   #3

Default Fuji3800 versus HP 850

Sanpete,

I was in a rush last Sunday and did not get to list all that I needed to say. I do already have rechargable NiMHi batteries and the charger. The memory I do not.

I am attempting to "spec"evertything out and be somewhat scientific about this as I don't have a money tree like so many people seem to have.

If you buy mail order it seems that you can get the camera at close to 40-50% off of MSRP.

I want: 3-4 Mpixels, at least 4x optical zoom(too powerful a zoom and I believe that stabilization can be a problem), digital zoom is less important, prefer rechargable AA batteries, a rugged body, smaller than an SLR, movie, audio editing, aperture and shutter priorities. I have the perception that the larger diameter the lens the more ambient light can be used w/o flash a.k.a. good low light capability. I do not know anything about the memory cards and what to stay away from! Help.
VeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 12:40 AM   #4

The only camera in your price range (online or not) with 4x zoom or more is the 3800 (or 2800). It has limited manual control. It will accept xD memory, which is a little pricey right now because it's new, but it's not too bad.

You can check prices at pricegrabber.com. Be sure to read the store reviews too.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2003, 9:15 PM   #5

You say you can get it cheap through mail order, but what mail order is this, can you send me a link to a site w/ a catalogue?
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 5:34 AM   #6

Try this link http://www7.activebuyersguide.com/ab...7X18e2&RefID=0

The decision guide was a great help when I was looking to buy.

I bought the Fuji 3800 because I liked the zoom and the look and feel of the camera.

The downside of this camera as discussed elswhere on this bulleting board is the limit of ISO 100, night shots are a challenge and the numbering system for digital shots presents some file managemet problems on my computer as it can reuse numbers.

All that said though, the rest of it is terrific. I don't know much about the rest of the cameras that you mentioned but the Oly C-730 appealed to me but was out of my price range.
rmlewis is offline   Reply With Quote