Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:01 PM   #1

We bought an R707 in November. It's a great camera for everyday users like ourselves. But, we've experienced an issue that was resolved in a way by HP that makes me wonder if this is recurring. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. We noticed that it would take 3-4 times to power-up the camera. Then last night, it wouldn't power-up at all. After trying some troubleshooting ideas in the manual and on hp.com, I contacted HP Tech Support via chat. The support guy had me power reset the camera. After that failed, he took my serial and product #'s, then told me that HP would replace the camera with a new one. I found it odd that they took that action so quickly. When I asked about whether this was a problem being reported, he skated around the question. Anyone else experience this? Also, if you start noticing power-up issues, you may want to contact HP before the warranty expires.
gboudx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2005, 6:34 PM   #2

This is the first I have heard of this type of fault occuring with the R707. Power issues such as this are usually associated with battery but can also be caused by an internal malfunction of the sliding power switch. When the switch is pushed to theright to power the camera onthe internalconnector can sometimes stick causing a delay in the startup, however this isVERY rare.

Anyone experiencing problems with HP Camerasin the UK can contact HP Customer Services on 0870 0104320

S.Mills

HP Sales Representative UK

HP Rep S.Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 3:03 PM   #3

It was probably the sliding power switch. HP replaced the defective camera with a new one. You may want to contact HP to find out more information. As quickly as they decided to replace the camera, it just makes me think this has been seen more than once. So far, I'm not all that impressed with the camera they gave us in return. It has taken some grainy looking pictures that we did not experience with the defective camera. I'm concerned that I got a rebuilt camera instead of a new one.

Edited: HP replaced the crappy replacement. This 3rd camera seems to work as well as the original. But they did indicate that if we have any issues with this one, they will issue us a 100% refund of our money. I just want the camera to work.
gboudx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:03 AM   #4

There could be loosely connectedwires in the camera
Ixus 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:39 AM   #5

Hi...

Recently I purchased a R707 and it worked ok, although I kept getting an electric shock when recharging the battery. One day, though the LCD screen broke (not the glass) so I rung hp and they said they'd replace it. I then ended up with one camera replacement with all extra accessories.

Problem was that the dang camera wouldn't work! I couldn't charge the battery (tried both batteries and battery charger) and YES I was told to power reset... nothing worked. It wouldn't even switch on with the partially powered battery I had in the old camera. I would turn it on and wait... then wait.. till it eventually turned on. Soon after it switched itself off.

In the end I had it replaced (again) and the one I have now worked beautifully the first time it was charged. However the camera and charger wouldn't charge the battery up today. I was so disappointed.

I tried again and left it for bloody ages and yes it charged fully. I am wondering if I have to go through all of this again.. I don't think I should have to have a camera where I am forced to recharge a battery three or four times. That just isn't right considering hp's reputation and price.

By the way with all the replacement cameras happening, I have one camera, three battery chargers, three batteries, three of all the accessories. I can't say I feel confident about this camera, although I am relieved in some sad way to know I am not the only one experiencing this charging battery problem.
Annie1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 6:57 PM   #6

Hi there,

I am a bit annoyed at my HP R707 Instantshare camera. It has periodically lost images (or keeps saying it cannot display them ) and freezes when Im takling a tiny bit of video and /or also appears to have taken video and then I go back to check it and it has disappeared compltetely! Its rather maddening - especially when there are so many pics and video clips I would have liked to cherish!

Very disappionted as I heard great things about this camera and my parents bought it for me as a Christmas gift.

I'll try the support line- but can you tell me if there are any glitches with this model? Has anyone else experienced this annoying and frustrating problem with this model?

I'd really appreciate it if you can answer me - my email is on my profile

Thanks so much

P x
Paulara99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:10 AM   #7

Paula, that's definitely a problem with the camera and I would get a replacement straight away! :shock:

Sounds to me like there is a problem with the inbuilt memory.. ring em and tell them how unhappy you are and make sure that you have the receipt to tell them where it was purchased.

Annie
Annie1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:39 AM   #8

I purchased a new R707 camera back in April, 2005 and by June a metal piece within the camera that holds the strap had fallen apart causing the camera to drop to the floor, which caused the zoom lense to lock up. After a heated discussion over 30 minutes I got HP to warrant the camera. Now it is July and the lense is locked up again and I can not turn on the camera. It came with a rechargeable battery, which by the way only costs $49.99 to replace or you can go with a Duracell CP1 disposble battery for $12.99, but I'm not sure how many shots you will get with it. I will be on the phone again to HP requesting they warrant this camera as well, for this camera never left the house. I personally would not recommend this camera to anyone. I also found that if you take, let's say around 20 pictures in a night, towards the end of the night it would take several seconds for the flash to go off. Sometimes I just missed the shot. I would stay away from this camera. HP could have done better for the price.
dhaley9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 2:16 PM   #9

I've had my R707 about 6 months, i just started using a memory card SD

16MB and now my camera freezes. can't do anything, i shut the cord to connect it to the computer in the door, so it's split now, some one from HP said it's a software problem with the intgration of the memory cards, heard of that before?
Solinah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:05 AM   #10

HP offers a 1 year warranty. I would contact them for resolution of this issue. I would also get another cord. If HP is too proud of them, you cna find almost anything on eBay.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote