Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Sep 18, 2005, 5:56 PM   #1

Hello-

I am amazed that we have not had any posts from HP R817 users. It is a great digital camera. It is very capabable and produces great digital photos. We would love to hear from you R817 users.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2005, 5:57 AM   #2

Just bought the R818 a couple days ago-So far it appears to bevery easy to useand like the 5x zoom-called HP about the dock (none available) at this time-Rseries dock doesnt work with R817 or R818. Will let you know about quality of images.

Trying the Hp -Recieved an Olympus C60 as a gift a few months ago-My 1st digital camera-Wife takes good pics with SLR Pentax in auto-Found the C60 to be not great with flash-grandkids pics. Had to do a lot ofediting on pics-Is this the case with flash on these point and shoot models? The Hps flash seemms to be better so far.
Dent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 1:52 PM   #3

Dent1 wrote:
Quote:
Just bought the R818 a couple days ago-So far it appears to bevery easy to useand like the 5x zoom-called HP about the dock (none available) at this time-Rseries dock doesnt work with R817 or R818. Will let you know about quality of images.

Trying the Hp -Recieved an Olympus C60 as a gift a few months ago-My 1st digital camera-Wife takes good pics with SLR Pentax in auto-Found the C60 to be not great with flash-grandkids pics. Had to do a lot ofediting on pics-Is this the case with flash on these point and shoot models? The Hps flash seemms to be better so far.

The dock is avail andthe 817/818 does work with the R series dock, there was shipment issue andthe dock insertfor the R817/818 weren't sent out when first released... Just contact hp and they should get ya the dock insert sent for free....
DougK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:11 PM   #4

called HP (actually) HP store and they told me the dock for the R series is not compatible with the R817/818-they werent familiar with an insert.-they told me the 818 is a smaller camera then the other R series-Can you offer any other help for me.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 7:43 AM   #5

Dent1 wrote:
Quote:
called HP (actually) HP store and they told me the dock for the R series is not compatible with the R817/818-they werent familiar with an insert.-they told me the 818 is a smaller camera then the other R series-Can you offer any other help for me.

Yeah, there sniffing glue I work for Hp tech support and know what I am talking about lol, The dock physically itself was never meant for the new camera, however the new insert has the adapter built in to allow the conversion from the old R series camera connector to the new R series connector... Trust me it can be done ... If you live in Canada call us at 800-474-6836 and we will know what your talking about ...If your in the USA just explain the samething to them call them at 866-211-5214.... Just explain u have this camera your missing the dock insert in the package and you would like one sent out and should be done with no charge....

Old Oct 8, 2005, 7:19 AM   #6

Thanks for the info -live in USA-The 818 comes with an extra battery and AC adapter cradle-no dock-didnt order dock yet-Theywant 79.99 for the dock which includes an extra battery(which meansIll have 3 batteriesI think 2 would be adequate-Is the dock a necessity-I know you cancharge the extra battery onit andgo direct to a TV screen I mayhave to call you guys anyway if I cant get the support I need Dont read much about it in the forums.in the US-Do like the camera-evedently not very popular here in the US-one problem Ive encoountered is seeing the LCD screen in bright sunlight-No optical viewer as a backup-other then that good.Later-Did call HP TEch service-evidently the cradle which camewith the camera fits into the R series dock-At 80.00-to show slides on a TV screen is not worth 80.00

since I already have a 2nd battery. THANKS AGAIN.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:29 AM   #7

Dent1 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info -live in USA-The 818 comes with an extra battery and AC adapter cradle-no dock-didnt order dock yet-Theywant 79.99 for the dock which includes an extra battery(which meansIll have 3 batteriesI think 2 would be adequate-Is the dock a necessity-I know you cancharge the extra battery onit andgo direct to a TV screen I mayhave to call you guys anyway if I cant get the support I need Dont read much about it in the forums.in the US-Do like the camera-evedently not very popular here in the US-one problem Ive encoountered is seeing the LCD screen in bright sunlight-No optical viewer as a backup-other then that good.Later-Did call HP TEch service-evidently the cradle which camewith the camera fits into the R series dock-At 80.00-to show slides on a TV screen is not worth 80.00

Yeah I agree, you don't get much other functionality outta the dock then you do the craddle, most people don't use it on tv either so I am lil dumb founded as to why they buy the dock to begin with.. But if you ever do get one least you know to just bug the hell outta HP till they clue in lol, There must not be a huge issue with inserts missing on the us side cause they never seem to have an idea when we get the misroutes back up to Canadian support!...
Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:32 AM   #8

Dent1 wrote:
Quote:

I am not sure if I read that right, did you say you found out the Craddle fits into the R series dock if so that's totally incorrect lol, if someone told you that there koo koo ... only the camera fits into the dock, the special insert adapts it from the old connector on the dock to the new connector on the camera.. Just for clarification..
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:18 AM   #9

I've had the R817 about about a week, and I do like it a lot.

I bought the R-Dock separately, and it arrived yesterday. When I began to assemble it, I discovered that the proper insert was not included. A call to HP tech support yielded a promise to ship me the correct insert immediately.

Then I discovered that the connector on the dock did not match the socket on the camera. Since the two inserts thatcame with the dock (inserts for ogher HP camera models) did nothave anything to do with theconnector, I assumed that the insert that was on its way to me would nothelp with the connector issue. So I called tech support again. They said that they thought that the insert might include an adaptor for the connector, but they were not sure. they advised me towait and see.

Now that I've read the above postings, I know that the insert includes an adaptor.

But HP should change themanuals for the camera and for the dock to clarify this (or include the insert/adaptor for the R817with the R-Series dock.

By the way, I paid $49 plus shipping for this dock from techforless.com.

alcannistraro is offline   Reply With Quote