Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Oct 9, 2005, 1:38 PM   #1

Have had the 435 for about 1 1/2 yrs. Was using a SD 256 memory card. Then all of a sudden I get an "unsupported memory card" message. Anybody come across a means of getting the camera to recognize the card again ? Some at HP support centre suggested that the camera had to be reconfigured via a computer (????)

Thanks
rothmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2005, 6:34 PM   #2
Administrator

See if you can format the card via the camera's menus.

If not, and you have access to a card reader, try formatting it via a PC. With Windows, you'll need to make sure you do not use the default file system type.

Instead, after you "right click" on the drive associated with the card reader, select the Format choice there, then make sure to change the File System Type to FAT when you format it (Windows will default to a 32 bit FAT which is not compatible with your camera model, and you'll see a drop down menu choice for FAT on the format screen before you press the Start button.

As for HP support, I don't know what they're referring to, unless they mean a firmware upgrade for the camera which may make it more compatible with more memory card types.

But, if this one has been working up until now, then it's probablygot a corrupted FAT (File Allocation Table) which will require reformatting the card, or it's failed in a way to make it unrecoverable (unless the camera itself has failed in some way). It's more likely just a corrupted FAT.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:36 PM   #3

Thanks.

I put the card in a card reader and attempted to format it using the computer after selecting FAT instead of FAT 32. It gives me the standard warning about loosing all data - after I click start it tells me the card is write proteted (the lock tab on the card is not in the lock position. How do I un write prtoect it.

As an aside I used the card in a Pentax (I formatted it in the Pentax) and it worked but it still won't work in the HP. I can actually see the pictures taken with the Pentax using the card reader.

???????
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:15 PM   #4
Administrator

I'd make sure your batteriesare good and fully charged, too (sometimes batteries can impact a camera's operation). I'd make sure toinsert and remove the card a few times, too (perhaps wiping off the SD Card Contacts well also).

You may not be getting a good connection with the card from a bit of oxidation that's built up on contacts over time.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 1:35 PM   #5

thanks again.

I was able to format the card using the card reader and my PC however, when I put the card in the camera and turn it on, I still get 'Unsupported Card'. Remember, I've tried using a new memory card and got the same message - camera appears to work fine with no memory card albeit with only 16 mbs.

I'll let you know how I make out as I proceed through various steps.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 5:55 PM   #6

I've got the identical problem with the same camera. HP support suggested a "soft reset" (removing the batteries long enough to lose the current date), but that didn't work. They then suggested doing a firmware update from their website, but I was not able to get the update to work. (One of the requirements to do the upgrade appears to be using aworking card in the camera. Duh. That's the problem I'm trying to fix!)

If rothmilla, or anyone else, has figured out how to fix this, I'd sure appreciate your help. Thanks!
jferry2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 7:23 PM   #7

unfortunately my solution won't help fix the problem.

I brought it back to where I bought it and had them take a look at it under the extended warranty I bought. The extended warranty people said it was cheaper to replace the camera than to try and fix it - so I took their financial crdit (since the camera is discontinued) plus a couple of bucks of mine and bought a Canon SD300 (once burnt twice shy).

sorry
Old Jan 1, 2006, 7:26 PM   #8

Thanks for the update. HP supportsuggested I buy a new camera too.
jferry2 is offline   Reply With Quote