Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:59 AM   #1

I've had an HP M307 Photosmart digital camera for about a year now. I've been using it with two 128 MB SD cards without a problem. Recently I bought a new Lexar 128 MB SD card to use with it. The card worked OK in the camera for about two days. Now whenever I try to use this card the camera displays "Unsupported Card". The other two cards still work OK. Attempts to format the card in the camera had no effect.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the Lexar card. I used it in my computer to transfer files without any errors. I formatted the card in the computer, but it still doesn't work in the camera.

I had a friend use the card in his Kodak camera. He took pictures with it without a problem. He formatted the card in his camera, but it still shows the same problem in the M307.

The camera came bundled with an HP 145 printer. I plugged the memory card into the printer and it seems to accept it. It reports no photos on the card (which I think is correct).

Does anybody know what's going on here?
clight1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:57 AM   #2

I got a replacement memory card from the manuafacturer (it had a 5 year warantee). The new card is working OK (so far).

Apparently the problem is not JUST with the camera and it is not JUST with the memory card. It seems to be some sort of compatibility issue between the two. Considering the large number of people that are having this kind of problem, it would be great if someone could figure out what is really causing it.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:42 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the Lexar card. I used it in my computer to transfer files without any errors. I formatted the card in the computer, but it still doesn't work in the camera.
If it happens again and you use Windows to format the card, make sure you format using a File System Type of FAT (you'll see a drop down list for file systems before you press OK and the screen that comes up when you right click on it and select the Format option). FAT will use a 16 bit FAT for most card sizes.

By default, Windows will format using a 32 bit FAT, that is not compatible with most cameras. So, if you formatted it using Windows prior to trying it in the other devices, that's probably what the issue was with your HP (some devices work with FAT32, but many don't).

The initial problem was probably only a corrupted FAT (and your friend's camera may work OK with FAT32, and kept the same file system type when reformatting). FAT32 support varies by model.

Another tool you can use to make sure the file format conforms to the SD specs is The Panasonic SD Formatter. You'll see a download link at the bottom of the page.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:26 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply.
I had read about the FAT issue somewhere else on the forum so I tried formatting the card both ways. Neither option would work in the camera.

The camera seems to access the card right after power-up. (There's a little light that flashes whenever the memory card is being accessed). In the case of the bad card, the pattern of the light flashing was different - it didn't last as long. After that the camera simply would not acknowledge the card at all, even to format it.

I suppose there could be an issue with the HP camera that when it encounters a corrupted FAT, it can't or won't reformat the card.

The camera also accesses the card when you turn it off. This access takes between one and two seconds. I may have opened the battery compartment immediately after turning the camera off - before the memory access was complete. This could have been what corrupted the card. I seem to remember thinking "oops - I shouldn't have done that". I put the camera on charge with a new set of batteries overnight. The next day when I powered up the camera, the problem with the memory card showed up.

I don't have enough guts to try this again. Perhaps someone with the same camera (HP M307) and a good memory card they don't need could try it :G. Yeah, right.