Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Jan 14, 2006, 5:31 AM   #1

Hi All

I have been using my HP 945 for quite a while and i am pretty satisfied with it. Just like with anyother camera if settings are rite then this baby can compare even with the latest in the row cameras. My only 2 concerns for this camera that are constantly making me move to most probably a D50 is the battery time and the speed of the camera. SO my two questions are

1. I currently have energizer 2500MAh cells and they last me about 40 pics some with flash or otherwise. So are there are any batteries that would last me much longer like a typical canon or nikon camera.

2. The second question is that when you take a picture it takes a lot of time to process. At the moment i have 128mb card. I was wondering if i upgrade my card to a high speed 512mb or 1gb card, would that make any difference in time..

Cheers
subzerothegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2006, 3:33 PM   #2
E.T

1. Are you using El Cheapo charger?
Or then one (or more) of those cells is faulty... that amount of shots sounds way too low even for HP.
Or those cells might be even counterfeits depending on what side of globe you live.

2. Slow speed appears to be "feature"
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...hp945_pg5.html
From power on to first image capture is about five seconds -- most of that time is required to extend the lens. In normal (single-frame) shooting mode there is a 5 second processing delay before you can shoot the next frame.
Inferior/substandard performance, must be lot of processing running with too slow hardware, even slowest available memory cards should be able to write JPEG in couple seconds, can't say anything else... unless you wan't to know from what Finnish words you can get acronym HP.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 8:09 PM   #3

subzerothegreat wrote:
Quote:
1. Look for better batteries/charger here. http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs.htm I have the MahaMH-C204F and use 1800mHa batteries and get better than that. With NiMH batteries you lose some charge when the batteries sit, so you need to top off before using if the camera sat for any length of thime. There is more info in the battery/powerpack forum.
Quote:
2. A larger card won't make the camera quicker, it will just allow you to store more images. I recommend a 512 for good storage. I just took a couple of flash pictures and the camera was ready in 2.5-3 seconds including flash. Your mileage may vary.
Quote:
Hi All

I have been using my HP 945 for quite a while and i am pretty satisfied with it. Just like with anyother camera if settings are rite then this baby can compare even with the latest in the row cameras. My only 2 concerns for this camera that are constantly making me move to most probably a D50 is the battery time and the speed of the camera. SO my two questions are

1. I currently have energizer 2500MAh cells and they last me about 40 pics some with flash or otherwise. So are there are any batteries that would last me much longer like a typical canon or nikon camera.

2. The second question is that when you take a picture it takes a lot of time to process. At the moment i have 128mb card. I was wondering if i upgrade my card to a high speed 512mb or 1gb card, would that make any difference in time..

Cheers
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 8:14 PM   #4

Well Actually i bought the batteries from Ebay.....and they were in packaging as well....and the logo says...........Energizer and the packaging looks real as well....I think it is my charger ....even though i charge for 20 hours it does not charge them fully................i think the charger cant charge to that capacity........

I will buy a new charger and batteries from amazon or ebuyer next month.
subzerothegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 5:42 AM   #5

subzerothegreat wrote:
Quote:
Well Actually i bought the batteries from Ebay.....and they were in packaging as well....and the logo says...........Energizer and the packaging looks real as well....I think it is my charger ....even though i charge for 20 hours it does not charge them fully................i think the charger cant charge to that capacity........

I will buy a new charger and batteries from amazon or ebuyer next month.
My 945 never got better than about 40 pictures either onany set of NiMH. In fact, in the 5 days after Christmas I did a2500 mile road trip and by the time I got home I had taken 97 pictures, and went through afully charged set of Energizer 2500 mah, a set of Energizer Titanium's (from HP "tech support" which we're supposed to me Lithiums, but they sent the wrong ones.), and a set of Duracell Alkalines.

I use a Maha MH-C204W charger.

My camera is only6 months old andstill under warranty, but HP doesn't have any 945'sto replace it with. (It acts up in other ways also.), and they don't have any parts to fix it, so they're sending me a R818 as a "replacement".

Edit:Oh, and a faster card won'thelp the camera's speed, though it will help speed up the transfer from the card to the computer.
Hip2u77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 3:03 AM   #6
E.T

subzerothegreat wrote:
Quote:
Well Actually i bought the batteries from Ebay.....and they were in packaging as well....and the logo says...........Energizer and the packaging looks real as well....
It doesn't say anything else than that those are 90% sure counterfeits whith lowest quality cells inside faked wrapping.
eBay is full of frauds selling substandard crap with profit margin literally in hundreds of percents.

With a worst-case runtime of nearly two and a half hours on 1600 mAh NiMH AA cells, the PhotoSmart 945
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/HP945/945DATA.HTM

Quote:
even though i charge for 20 hours it does not charge them fully
And that ain't charger, only use for it would be keeping batteries topped... if charging current is low enough for that.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-11.htm
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote