Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Feb 20, 2006, 1:14 PM   #1

I recently purchased the HP R817. Nice camera but I've noticed that the LCD is grainy when I'm framing my shots under most lighting conditions. Perhaps not during bright conditions but it's hard to see the lcd then. Anyone else have these problems?

When I play back my images, they are smooth.
sbiswas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2006, 5:05 PM   #2
Administrator

This is normal behavior for many camera models in low light (and a well lit interior is low light to a camera).

In low light, most cameras (unless their displays get very dim in low light) do two things to "gain up" the display.

One is to amplify the signal from the CCD (just like increasing ISO speed). This makes the display look grainy in low light from more noise.

The other is to slow down the refresh rate (allowing more time for the "pixel wells" to fill before reading the signal from the CCD). This can cause a delay from real time and make your subjects look smeared, jumpy, etc., because it's not refreshing the display as often.

If they didn't do this in low light, you'd have a very dark display. Think of how dark a photo would look indoors if you tried to take it at 1/60 second without a flash. You'd have a veryunderexposed image, because not enough light would have struck the sensor to properly expose the image (much longer shutter speeds would be required indoors without a flash with most non-DSLR models)

If manufacturers tried to read the CCD at 60 frames per second in low light, the same thing would happen (you'd have adark display).

So, they slowdown the refresh rate (how often they are "emptying" the CCD) to allow more time for photons from the light sources to strike the photosites in the CCD to allow a stronger signal to be built up before reading it again, and amplify the signal from the CCD (which introduces noise/grain).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 7:00 AM   #3

I've been using my HP R817 for almost 4 months now and i have taken hundreds of pictures already but i dont recall if i complained about grainy or noisy LCD display. Anywayz i will try to pay more attention next time on my LCD display. I am happy with my 2 inch lcd display of r817, i put a screen protector plastic to protect it from scratches.

BTW, is there anyone wonderingon why during video recording, the camera (HP R817) suddenly stops without you doing anything eventhough the memory is not full yet?I know the answer he he he :lol:, i'll discuss it next time :idea:

USERS OF HP R817 CAMERA....POST YOUR COMMENT,,,,THIS IS A GREAT CAMERA,,,LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOUUUUUUU :|

marksotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:02 PM   #4

Hiya to all,

I have had a "HP R707" camera since 2004 and still using it now in 2006 hehe... Its the Best Camera I have ever had, I have only had cheapy types which have also been good to me such as: Vivitar20 & Jenoptik, I didn't like the Vivitar due to not having a LCD screen but that was a old one haha, Jenoptik was a great camera but not good LCD screen colours but great Pictures but not Sharper than most the cameras these days...

I swear by anything from "HP" I love Hewlett Packard... I have Scanner, Printer and Digital Camera, never had a problem with any of them. I will admit, The Camera does need Charging alot with the HP's due to the amount Of Software on the Camera I think and it has some great Super Help tips on their cameras... I bought a Samsung V800 which is Superb Quality but had a Broken plastic bit to fit the Wrist Strap so took it back and got another and screen was Faulty, got money back... But They had a Charger Box to the Samsung and Charged my Camera Battery from the HP camera took Half a Hour to charge and it lasted alot longer for about 4 Days, but using the HP charger dosn't last long... So good to invest in a Proper Lithium Charger which dosnt connect to the CAMERA I think...

The Reason why I am typing here in the R817 Forum is, I fancy Upgrading from my R707 to a R817 due to the lovely 2" LCD Screen... Close up and Big to see Pictures... I've never really had a Problem with my HP camera in the Day and Night, The only thing I have had a few problems is if I take Camera into a Concert, The Pictures are Dark and the Black is like a Grey colour... but that dosnt bother me...

I have noticed the Camera's now have no "Eye Piece, you know the hole you look through, and the Samsung V800 had this, and was very Rubbish for Digital Zoom..." Does the pictures look good with Optical Zoom & Digital Zoom with the R817...

Im really interested in this Camera, plz let me know anyone, would love to know any of the reviews... the only reviews I see at the moment on Google are Complaints which try to Put ya Off... I like nice reviews mostly... but plz let me know...

Thanx alot

Mapoo
Mapoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 6:30 PM   #5
Administrator

Mapoo wrote:
Quote:
Does the pictures look good with Optical Zoom & Digital Zoom with the R817...
Digital Zoom is mostly a marketing scam. I'd suggest ignoring it when comparing camera models and go only by optical zoom.

All digital zoom is doing is cropping a photo to make it look like more optical zoom is being used. In other words, it's removing the outside edges and leaving the desired portion in the center. Then, it enlarges the cropped section back to full size, degrading image quality.

If you crop an image to make it look like twice as much optical zoom is used (for example, with 2x digital zoom), you end up with only 1/4 the original resolution before the camera enlarges the image again.

If you crop an image to make it look like 4 times as much optical zoom is used (for example, with 4x digital zoom), you end up with only 1/8 the original resolution before the camera enlarges the image again.

You'd be better off just cropping the image using software later. If you need to bring in distance objects closer, buy a camera with more optical zoom, not digital zoom, unless you want the quality to degrade as you use more digital zoom.

Quote:
Im really interested in this Camera, plz let me know anyone, would love to know any of the reviews... the only reviews I see at the moment on Google are Complaints which try to Put ya Off... I like nice reviews mostly... but plz let me know...
How about right here? ;-)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/hp_r817.html

In reviews here for cameras you consider, the Conclusion Section (last page before the Sample Images in each model's review), is where you'll findcomments on things like Startup Time, Image Quality, LCD or Viewfinder usability, Autofocus Speed/Reliability, Cycle times between photos, image quality indoors and outdoors, etc.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote