Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Apr 2, 2003, 11:19 PM   #1

Default HP 720 Image Quality

I need HELP! I bought a HP 720 a couple weeks back. After a trip to Callway Gardens in GA I took all my pics (like I did with my C200) on the lowest setting. Because all I do is use them for Email and web posting.

Well, when I got back, most of the images were more 'pixely' (blocky) than my older C200's, and were there was Brown Coloring, it was awful, the brown was a white-gray.

I contacted HP, after a couple minutes he said it sounded like it should be serviced. Well, I took it back to Staples, who exchanged it for me.

Upon my most recent trip to Callaway, I took more pictures. I used the Middle Setting for all my pictures, except for ONE, I used the LOWEST for this picture, it was of a flower bed that had a LOT of brown in it. WELL, this picture looks JUST like all the olds one did on the First Camera.

I noticed my serial numbers are next in line to the new one... like XXXXX70, and the other XXXXX71...

Is this normal for the quality to look like this:

It just doesnt compare to my older C200, the brown is even off a little in the "2 Stars" setting in the 720.

Should I take it back... AGAIN!?

Please Help!
Camelhmpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2003, 1:06 AM   #2

Hi,

Our shop sells the complete line of HP camera, and I must admit that in full quality the pictures are very good for the pricing of the camera's however in the lowest 2 settings they are just plain awefull, blocky and off color.

So I guess there is nothing wrong with your camera, hope this helps a bit.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2003, 1:37 PM   #3

Thanks Frank. This kinda disapoints me, because you would think the new camera would just run all over the old camera with 3xs the MP and features. However, doesnt seem to be the case.

Whooo getting dizzy now, all this white on black... :roll:
Old Apr 4, 2003, 3:38 AM   #4

Hi,

It depends.
When choosing the worst compression and resolution on a higher spec camera this means the CCD is not used completly or you are using on board compression/scaling.

Best would be to shoot at the best settings and let your software do the scaling and compression.

I have made pics as small as 80kb and they look stunning, but the source material was 4MP's.

When compared to a 200kb file from the same camera the difference is so huge even a blind guy can see it. ( ).

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 8:10 AM   #5

Default I had a HP 720 and pics quality was great

I had before my HP 850 a HP 720, and image quality was great.

But I only used ** or *** full resolution image quality.

You can see some samples here (retailed at 1024x768) :

http://photos.chatterie-koolkat.com/...php?idcateg=60

On my gallery (in french, sorry) one hundred pictures are from HP 720.
Cedric Girard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 11:14 AM   #6

Thanks for the link. The ** and *** Pictures are better, I was just depending on the appreantly really low setting of the one star "*" too much. There is a large difference I guess in a 60KB File and 800KB (1200KB on ***). The Brown is better in the ** and *** settings. HOWEVER I still have to adjust the settings often or things turn out gray on the auto exposure.

Again, thanks for the link, doesn't matter the French Language, Pictures have no need for language.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 1:42 AM   #7

Here is that Image with the new settings. I do not recall is I used manual exposure settings or not.