Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old May 26, 2003, 5:36 PM   #11

Default Update

Just a quick update from my last post:

I took my camera back to Jessops on Saturday and they did a straight swap. I wasn't too fussed about the bad pixel on the display but I was not happy about a defective one on the ccd. I was told that they were something the manufacturer wouldn't replace (I could imagine this being true for the display but I'm I little dubious if they meant the ccd as well).

Anyway I would fully recommend Jessops (or at least my local branch ), I could have saved a fair amount buying through an online retailer but I don't think I would have got the service.

Col.
Col-73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2003, 4:00 PM   #12

By repeatedly turning on my camera and taking a few shots then turning it off, I was able to duplicate the lockup problem using the original 16 Mb memory card. HP sent me a replacement in two days, no charge because I have the extended damage warranty.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 10:56 PM   #13
NTT

Randy,

I've noticed too that when the camera locks up is normally when the batteries are very low. Since you got a replacement, have you had any problem with the camera being locked up?

NTT
NTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 11:18 PM   #14
NTT

BTW, I too have been using a 256MB Lexar memory card w/o any problem.

However, for those of you that are planning to take many photos and don't want to carry your laptop while traveling, don't spend all your money in memory cards. Invest yourself in one of the portable image storage. Steve's has several in his reviews.

The one I purchased is a 40GB X's Drive II from The-Discount-Shop.com for $240, no shipping cost, no tax. It's very compact to carry, it even fit in my purse! It transfers quickly and very simple to use. Its capacity is unlimited since it allows you to have any size (GB) hard drive you'ld like. I don't think Steve's has this one reviewed but you can read Ian's review at http://dp-now.com/archives/000037.html.

I was able to take as many photos and video clips on my vacation trip as I could and not having to worry about whether I have enough memory or not. As soon as the memory card filled up, I took it out from the camera, plugged it into the X's Drive II and with a push of a button, all files are transferred into the X's Drive II. Then, I format the card and reuse it. Once came back home from the trip, I plugged the portable image storage to my computer via USB cable (included with the drive) and transferred all the photos over. I love this gadget!
Old Jun 7, 2003, 12:25 AM   #15

Unfortunately, just today I had a lockup with the new camera. Batteries were fully charged. I was sea kayaking, with the camera in a waterproof bag. I take it out to shoot, and put it back when done. I almost always change to action mode as soon as I turn it on, because the kayak rocks. I'm wondering if the lockup could be related to salt air, although as noted above, I was able to cause it in my car, too, with the previous camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT
Randy,

I've noticed too that when the camera locks up is normally when the batteries are very low. Since you got a replacement, have you had any problem with the camera being locked up?

NTT
Old Jun 7, 2003, 2:44 PM   #16

I don't think that I've had any lock-ups since getting a replacement camera but then I haven't used it quite as heavily as I did in the first month.

The replacement camera was newer and already had the latest firmware installed. A lot of users have said that this update does seem to help with the problem.

Col.
Col-73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 4:22 AM   #17

Hi,

But doesn't solve it on some camera's.
A friend of mine bought the HP850, I updated the firmware for him and his camera works fine in auto mode, but as soon as he uses the manual mode the camera locks up.

We will be replacing the camera for him next week.

To be honest my first camera also locked up frequently but this was before the new firmware, I exchanged it and the new one did fine.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:13 AM   #18

I'll see what happens when another firmware upgrade comes out before I ask for a second replacement. At least I have the 3-year warranty, including accidental damage.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:40 PM   #19

Default 256 cards and lockups

I've got a Panasonic 256 card. Newer faster 10 mbps memory speed. I've shot about three hundred pictures think I've seen only one lockup and that I think was caused by this cruddy plastic on off switch they have on here, it's sometimes a bit hard to get it in just the right place to turn it on. I've had the camera for over a month.
suemccartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 11:23 PM   #20
NTT

Yes, I agree with Sue. The On/Off switch seems to be the problem, seems to be cheapely made. If so, than no firmware upgrade would solve the problem. Let's see what the latest software upgrade, version 2.0, would do. :roll:

Please report once you've made the upgrage. I'll try to do the same.