Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old May 5, 2003, 6:11 PM   #1

Default HP 850 'locking up'

I have just bought a HP 850 and have been using it for the first time today but one time the camera just locked up while it was on. I've just checked the trouble shooting guide in the manual and under the problem 'The camera does not respond when I press a button' a possible cause is stated as 'the camera has stopped operating' and the solution is 'Remove and reinsert the batteries' !!

Is this a little worrying or is it just me?

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Other than that it's a great camera and the results are looking very promising.

Col.
Col-73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2003, 4:42 PM   #2

You are not alone.

Happened to me while transfering images to the PC. :shock:
Opening and closing the battery compartment solved the problem.
Must add that the batteries where not that good. Did you have fresh ones?

It's a small computer.......only without a reset button.
I agree it performs quite well though.

Arend
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 5:14 PM   #3

I don't know if it's a good thing that I'm not the only one it happens to

There was a fresh set of batteries in at the time (the batteries from the boxed got wasted in my first evening of messing around with it!) - prehaps I pressed a wrong combination of buttons while using it as it was my first afternoon using it properly.

Anyway I'm looking forward to giving it a serious testing in the next week or so - I'll let you know how I get on.

Col.
Old May 7, 2003, 6:29 AM   #4

Hi,

Check for the new firmware on the HP site.
I had similair problems, and the new firmware solved it.

Also buy 1800Mah (or more) NiMH batteries, they last about 200 pics without flash.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 6:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Doorhof
Hi,

Check for the new firmware on the HP site.
I agree with Frank. Uploaded the new firmware and did not encounter lock-ups anymore so far.

Bedankt Frank.
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 6:10 PM   #6

Default More on lockups - 850

Three week old Photosmart 850, a couple of lockups each day during a four day trip. A quick open/close of battery compartment fixes it for a while. I spent an hour with HP tech support today, two different calls. They suggested a firmware upgrade but the in-camera diagnostics show I already have 1.01.05, the latest version.

They really want to blame my Lexar 256mb card, since the camera isn't tested for 256 mb cards. However, the lockup never occurs on a read-write, only when I am changing some mode while looking through the the eyepiece. Also, the camera usually functions fine, and I've got the 256 mb almost filled with no problems. Right now I'm trying to duplicate the problem with the original 16 mb card. But since it's so erratic, it won't be easy to duplicate on demand. Also, it was happening during frequent use on a vacation. I don't have a lot of time to play now that I'm back.

HP also was looking to blame my batteries. But since I have brand new, 2000 mAh Powerex NiMH batteries, there isn't anything bad they could say. They did suggest I use alkalines. Hello? Even the manual says to use NiMH batteries for "best results".

I am glad to see I'm not the only one with the problem. However, it would help in my next call to HP if you others would say what memory cards and batteries you are using.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2003, 3:33 AM   #7

Hi,

I use a 256MB card from Sandisk without problems.
And 1600NiMh recharcables which were delivered with the docking station.

2000 NiMh should be no problem, change to nicads ????? are they crazy !! that will run you bankrupt.

Just try for a while the 16Mb card or try to exchange the camera/card to rule out which one has the problem.
With a good dealer a card exchange should be no problem (I know we do it).

Greetings,
Frank
Old May 22, 2003, 8:26 AM   #8

I've just spent a week in Menorca with the 850 and must have taken around 300 pictures (although I ended up with just over 200). I had three or four lock-ups during that time. I used a 256mb ScanDisk card, a set of 1300 NiMh and a set of 2000 NiMh.

The camera performed fantastically over the week and I would definitely recommend the camera to anyone thinking of buying one.

When I get the pictures online I'll post the link.

On a downside I've noticed a dead pixel in the lcd display (which isn't that critical) but worse than that there's also a bad pixel in the ccd! so on Saturday I'll be back in Jessops to get it sorted out.

Btw, the first time it locked up I was using the 16mb HP card.

Col.
Old May 22, 2003, 9:45 AM   #9

Hi,

It does seem to lockup when the batteries are almost drawn.

Also I have had 2x the camera would not power down, setting it on ON again and OFF solved this, I never had to change batteries.

My first model however DID lock up frequently and they exchanged it.

Greetings,
Frank
Old May 22, 2003, 11:51 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies, especially about using 256 mb cards successfully. So far I cannot duplicate the lockup. That's good, I guess, but I don't think HP will replace the camera if it doesn't also lockup with the 16 mb card. Maybe I will just carry the 16 mb card at all times in the camera case. If I get somewhere with the camera locks, I'll change the card and see what happens then.

Maybe resetting the camera helped. I did this at HP's suggestion. However, here's another oddity. I tried both the fast reset, as posted on their website, and overnight with no batteries. Either way, when I restarted the time changed but the date stayed correct. This makes me wonder if I haven't done a full reset after all.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote