Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

View Poll Results: Do you have the same issues ?
Yes I have 2 100.00%
No, everthing is working fine (longer than 2 months) 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23, 2003, 11:57 AM   #1

Default Terrible docking station HP850, please read and post poll !!

Hi,

When I bought my HP850 all was well the docking station worked flawlessly and everything was good.....

Then one day my docking station refused my camera, meaning I had to really push my camera back to get the docking station to recognise the 850. When releasing the camera it would lock down.

I than began my 5 months hell.
Finally after 5 months (I won't go in details here, but exchanging a docking station is VERY difficult for HP NL, even for a dealer (which we are)) I got myself a new docking station and what to my surprise......

My 850 is not recognized, only when I put small pressure on my camera from front to back it is recognized and works, when I release pressure it locks down.

Because I allready worked 5 months without docking station I'm now used to recharging the batteries myself and using a card reader, the docking station has moved to the attic.

Anyone else having this problem, according to me the constuction of the station is not up to the size of the 850, on the 812 everything has worked fine for 4-5 months (untill I sold the camera), the 850 only worked 1 month. I have to admit however that I DAILY remove the camera from the station several times (I'm a bit hooked on photography).

Curious after your opinions.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2003, 12:30 PM   #2

It's not the docking station, it's the camera itself !!!

I looked closely just now and saw the the metal casing holding the dockingstation has gone loose, I openend the camera but there is no clear view on how to connect this again.... it's a very flimsly construction I must say.

Greetings,
Frank
Old May 23, 2003, 2:43 PM   #3

Frank...

Here is an idea...esp since you are a dealer

Just spend $25-30 for a 6-1 reader.

Relegate the docking station to role as paperweight.

Yes...I know..."It should work".

Consider this...

The docking station will only work with your camera.

A 6-in-1 reader will work with almost all digital cameras

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2003, 5:16 PM   #4

What do you think I did the last 5 months ?

I allready use a cardreader, and I use a quickcharger with conditioner for the batteries (my other hobby is racing 1/10 RC cars). The docking station does a poor job in battery life, when you discharge and quick load at 1 Amp (1600MaH) you will get alot more photo's from the batteries.

It's just amazing that the most expensive camera of HP has such a flimsy construction, it really makes me wonder if we must continue with this brand in our shop.

But the camera results are VERY VERY good, and that's what counts offcourse .

Greetings,
Frank
Old May 23, 2003, 5:42 PM   #5

If you don't buy the docking station you don't get a cable to connect to a TV. The cable only costs $2 from HP Shopping, but s/h minimums bring it up to over $15! You can get a cable and adapter, as described in the instruction book, for about $7 from RatShack.

I opted to ignore the docking station completely. I bought the TV cable/adapter and a top quality battery charger separately. The software works well enough that downloading to the PC is no big deal, although I would like an extra usb-camera cable.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 11:29 PM   #6
NTT

Have you guys thought of getting an AC adapter? When plugged in, it recharges the batteries also. No docking station needed.

Also, get a portable image storage device such as the X's Drive II. Depends on how much of GB you want, you can get one for as little as $195 (20GB) from The-Discount-Shop.com. Their shipping is free. What's so nice about the X's Drive II is that it has unlimited storage capacity since you can upgrade it yourself. It's very portable, quick and simple to use. You can read the review on Ian's DP-Now website at http://dp-now.com/archives/000037.html.

Hey, I talk so much about this, I think Vosonic should cut me a profit sharing
NTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2003, 3:06 AM   #7

Hi,

I also use the XSdrive, I love it.

I fixed the camera in the mean time, and made sure it can never happen again , it took a little time and demontage of the camera, but it's works flawless now.

Greetings,
Frank
Old Jun 7, 2003, 10:03 PM   #8
NTT

Hum... not sure if salt air has anything to do with the camera being locked up.
NTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:54 PM   #9

Default HP should have released a new dock

from what I've read on other forums, lots of folks yelling about the stupid dock. It seems that HP went the cheap way and tried to use an old product with this new and physically much bigger camera and it just ain't working right. From what I'm seeing in other places the contacts just don't make contact after a while, it's because the 850 is so much larger than the earlier cameras the same dock is supposed to work with. I avoided it, memory reader is much easier if you ask me.
suemccartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 2:41 AM   #10

Hi,

The problem is that after repeated use the metal protector comes loose of the body, resulting in no more contact.

I have solved it by attaching small pieces of tape from the body into the metal housing (when using "magictape" you hardly see it).

This gives two advantages:

The grip is MUCH tighter resulting in a much better position in the dock.
The metal casing will NOT come loose anymore.

For me the dock is much better than a card reader, I tend to shoot alot of pictures and using the dock will spare my cards from getting in and out the camera too much.

Greetings,
Frank