Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > H-P

Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:16 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

I'm the happy owner of an HP r707 or at least I was until a couple of days ago when I took it out of my pockets.

The film light was on, but it was impossible to turn the camera on.

I removed the battery (r707 Li ion rechargeable), put it back in... nothing changed.
I plugged the camera with and without the battery... still the same.
I reinitialized the camera... no success either.

The red light for films is still on and it is still impossible to turn the camera on.

I'm at a loss here. I really like this camera but it is no longer under warranty... Has anybody here been subjected to this problem? Does somebody know what's wrong with my camera?

Thank you.

eichpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:02 AM   #2

I have the same camera with the same problem. I have not found any solution. Have you found a solution? Thanks,
Jess
jstengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 11:27 AM   #3

Anything here help you guys ?. ... Jack

http://www.tiny.cc/F5Tbx

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:22 AM   #4

Thanks Jack, I have visited the HP site and spoken to HP on line. I've tried everything short of opening it up. It looks like this is a common problem and those of us who bought one are just out of luck.

Below is what Steve from HP said in part. I think I want a camera that can be repaired. And, I'm feeling a bit scammed but I also realize HP is just trying to be profitable.

Steve: Jess, we do not have the R707 cameras with us.But we have upgrade cameras with upgrade features than R707. Please stay with me while I get back to you with the upgrade options.
Jess: ok
Jess: Can it be repaired?
Steve: I would like to share this information with you that the HP Photosmart digital cameras are very compact devices with very complex circuitry. The extreme care and expertise is required to repair the digital camera. Some times the cost for repairing a camera is almost equal to the price of a new camera. Because of the complexity involved in the camera circuitry and the care required at the time of camera service, HP does not have any service centers.
Steve: Here are the upgrade options : REFURB HP PHOTOSMART DIGITAL CAMERA M525 HP EXCHANGE TRADE UP GROUND SHIP $99.99
Steve: REFURB HP PS DIGITAL CAMERA M527 W/DOCK HP EXCHANGE TRADE UP GROUND SHIP $139.99
Steve: REFURB HP PHOTOSMART DIGITAL CAMERA R927 HP EXCHANGE TRADE UP GROUND SHIP $209.99
Steve: These are the upgrade options availble with us.All the above cameras come with a warranty of 1 year and shipping is free.
Steve: I understand that the R707 camera is one of the best cameras available with us , but the R927 camera is also a good camera .
Jess: No service options. That's too bad. I had the same issue with my Kodak and I refuse to buy another Kodak, ever. I don't think any of the models you've listed fit the docks I bought either. Can you confirm that? How about the memory for the models you've listed; is it SD? Perhaps I need some time to make a comparison on line. How can I take advantage of your upgrade offer in the future?
jstengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:42 AM   #5

OK Jess, looks as if you have a rough deal, I sympathise, but that doesn't help you. I have a photosmart 850 which is still going strong ... I've had it since August 2002, I guess I've been lucky judging by some of the tales of woe I read on this and other forums re. HP equipment. If and when it does go faulty I wont hesitate to get inside since I have a fair bit of experience in working on boards using SMD (surface mount) components. The service possibilities are poor anyway. I hope you get a satisfactory solution to your problems. I like to keep an eye on the HP threads, it may help me in the future. Good Luck. ... Jack
Old Jan 28, 2007, 4:18 PM   #6

jstengel wrote:
Quote:
I have the same camera with the same problem. I have not found any solution. Have you found a solution?* Thanks,
Jess
I have the same camera and as of 2 days ago the same problem!
bill77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:09 PM   #7

I have the same problem. Went to fire up the camera today and nothing.When I put in the battery the red light next to the picture of the video camera comes on for a second and then nothing. When I remove the battery, then place the camera on the dock the screen lights up with the HP logo, and the power light comes on but nothing else. I pressed the flash button when I did this and could get the lense to pop out but that was about it. When I placed the camera on the dock with the memory card and pressed "connect" it came up with the access address message. That's about all that I can get the camera to do and I can't update it with new software if it won't turn on and connect to the computer. I've spent the entire day trying to get it do do something and have talked to HP about it. Like it was said above, they can offer me a new camera but not a way to fix it. $350 down the toilet.
blackdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 1:46 PM   #8

Hi.

I had the same problem, and I found that a firmware reset solved the problem.

To do a firmware reset, open the battery bay, remove the battery and the SD card, and then insert a paper clip into the tiny hole in front of the little "+ -" sticker on the battery door. Hold it for 6 seconds, and remove. After this, I reinserted the battery, and the turned it on and it looks to be okay. I'm hoping it stays this way.

kangaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 4:48 AM   #9

kangaman wrote:
Quote:
Hi.

I had the same problem, and I found that a firmware reset solved the problem.

To do a firmware reset, open the battery bay, remove the battery and the SD card, and then insert a paper clip into the tiny hole in front of the little "+ -" sticker on the battery door.* Hold it for 6 seconds, and remove.* After this, I reinserted the battery, and the turned it on and it looks to be okay.* I'm hoping it stays this way.

Hi Kangaman,
Where did you find the firmware reset info ?. I'm wondering if there's a way of doing a firmware reset on the Photosmart 850, not that I need it now, but may do in the future. ... Jack
Old Mar 31, 2008, 8:55 AM   #10

Hi everybody,

I am having R707 Hp camera. Suddenly it started odd behaviour. Still images taken in day light or inside the room are not good and showing white horizontal lines in the background. But if i am taking the photos in the dark these are coming somewhat ok. Please let me know if someone has faced this issue and any luck in fixing this.

Thanks

bsd
bsdhingra is offline   Reply With Quote