Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   HDR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hdr-98/)
-   -   in camera HDR setting (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hdr-98/camera-hdr-setting-164783/)

carylwithay Jan 16, 2010 6:17 PM

in camera HDR setting

2 Attachment(s)
My Leica DLux 4 has new HDR settings. I tried the standard and the black and white. Here are the results. what do you think?
Caryl

shoturtle Jan 16, 2010 6:58 PM

Very nice, great contrast with the HDR

vvcarpio Jan 17, 2010 1:57 PM

I think they look so much better than regular camera shots. I know these would make my friends scratch their hands as to how I can take such good pictures. :)

I'm curious, though, how in-camera HDR would handle moving objects like people.

Walter_S Jan 17, 2010 2:05 PM

First of all, Caryl - I think your Leica makes good HDR's. They look good and have very good contrast, as well as span of values. Great function to have!
:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvcarpio (Post 1040923)
...I'm curious, though, how in-camera HDR would handle moving objects like people.

I don't think that's a problem, as I suspect the in-camera tone-mapping is a 'Pseudo-HDR'-mapping taken from one single shot, rather as we know, of several shots put together into 1 HDR-output.

You can see that in both pictures. In # 1 the flag on top of that building is crisp and sharp. No sign of movement there.

In # 2 in the lower-right corner you can see a car in the street turning left, further up the street, people are walking, crossing the street - no sign of ghosting there! Also, out in the bay, the boats are moving, but no ghosting there.
:-)

shoturtle Jan 17, 2010 2:18 PM

Quote:

I think they look so much better than regular camera shots. I know these would make my friends scratch their hands as to how I can take such good pictures. :)

vv,

I did say HDR in camera will be the next big thing, it will be a standard feature in the next 2-5 years on all cameras I think.

Bynx Jan 17, 2010 11:57 PM

Is that a window reflection over the white building to the right of center?

littlejohn Jan 18, 2010 3:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter_S (Post 1040927)
First of all, Caryl - I think your Leica makes good HDR's. They look good and have very good contrast, as well as span of values. Great function to have!
:)

I don't think that's a problem, as I suspect the in-camera tone-mapping is a 'Pseudo-HDR'-mapping taken from one single shot, rather as we know, of several shots put together into 1 HDR-output.

You can see that in both pictures. In # 1 the flag on top of that building is crisp and sharp. No sign of movement there.

In # 2 in the lower-right corner you can see a car in the street turning left, further up the street, people are walking, crossing the street - no sign of ghosting there! Also, out in the bay, the boats are moving, but no ghosting there.
:-)

Interesting question...in the KX 3 photos are taken ..I would think motion is a problem in HDR