Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   HDR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hdr-98/)
-   -   Frozen Pine-Needles in HDR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hdr-98/frozen-pine-needles-hdr-166900/)

Walter_S Feb 28, 2010 4:37 PM

Frozen Pine-Needles in HDR

1 Attachment(s)
Pine-neddles in the clutch of "King Winter". Merciless and consuming frost is covering all trees (and everything else, for that matter), making them look quite beautiful, really - if you look at them against the blue sky.

http://iloapp.marvellcorp.com/data/_...57_resized.jpg
Shooting 90 upwards from a tripod isn't too bad with a fully articulated LCD to frame and compose your picture. This phenomenal LCD on my Lumix G1 is something I will miss mostly, if (and when) I move on to a different brand. And I must admit - I have been looking...:eek:

CC welcome, of course - But please! Do not enter a discussion on Pro's and Con's of HDR in this here thread! Or if HDR is neccesary for this shot or not. :rolleyes: I dont want to be part of this unproductive and tiresom discussion.

Below, the inevitable middle-exposure:

Chato Feb 28, 2010 4:42 PM

This is really a gorgeous shot Walter. I don't see why you needed HDR, but it's a Wonderful job. Perfectly lit to show the ice covered tree tips.

Outstanding!

Dave

Hards80 Feb 28, 2010 7:53 PM

i think this is a stunning shot too walter. love the details and the contrast with the blue sky. just a lovely shot of winter's detail. and one of my favorites from you, though completely different than your norm.

mtngal Feb 28, 2010 8:14 PM

Beautiful shot! Love the detail.

Wingman Feb 28, 2010 8:17 PM

HDR or not, #1 is stunning!

MACKPUDGIES Feb 28, 2010 8:24 PM

Beating the black and whites of winter

Beautiful ju

MACKPUDGIES Feb 28, 2010 8:26 PM

Just beautiful. The blue sky turns the black and whites of winter into a real plate full of color

Bynx Feb 28, 2010 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chato (Post 1059176)
This is really a gorgeous shot Walter. I don't see why you needed HDR, but it's a Wonderful job. Perfectly lit to show the ice covered tree tips.

Outstanding!

Dave

Great job Walter. Outstanding for such a simple shot. And with your G1. Not to be morbid, but should you die soon, would you leave me your camera?

simple Mar 1, 2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bynx (Post 1059333)
Great job Walter. Outstanding for such a simple shot. And with your G1. Not to be morbid, but should you die soon, would you leave me your camera?

LMAO i see a pattern here i mentioned dropping the camera the other day so when does bynx and myself get the oppurtunity to shoot :violent-smiley-027: you i mean with you LOL:D

very nice shot walter :cool:

Bynx Mar 1, 2010 12:53 AM

Gee youre not even gone yet and there is squabbling over your camera. Well for me a G1 is worth it.

Walter C Mar 1, 2010 1:02 AM

Walter, that's a terrific shot!

Walter_S Mar 1, 2010 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chato (Post 1059176)
...I don't see why you needed HDR, but it's a Wonderful job....

This is you, Chato - But thanks all the same! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hards80 (Post 1059314)
...and one of my favorites from you, though completely different than your norm.

Thank you for your generouse comments, Dustin!
:-))

--------------------------------

- mntgal
- jelpee
- MACKPUDGIES
- Walter C

Thank you all guys and gals for kind words and for taking the time to comment!
:wave1:

Walter_S Mar 1, 2010 2:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bynx (Post 1059333)
...Not to be morbid, but should you die soon, would you leave me your camera?

On one condition, Bynx - That you will come and collect it personnally, because I can't afford the shipping-dues...
:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by simple (Post 1059438)
...very nice shot walter

Thank's Simon!
:-)

maggo85 Mar 1, 2010 3:25 PM

Walter, this is an AMAZING work - really outstanding! The details are just stunning - you and of course DPHDR did a fantastic job :)

Walter_S Mar 3, 2010 9:23 AM

It's mother nature and that bloody cold winter who did this - I just klicked the shutter...
:-)

Thank you for commenting!

Chato Mar 4, 2010 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter_S (Post 1059657)
This is you, Chato - But thanks all the same! ;)

Walter, I think this is a great shot of an emphemeral phenomonon. I ran your middle exposure through the levels command of PS. Looks just like your final version (with a little unsharp mask) . I didn't make this oberservation to criticize this wonderful shot, (of which I am green with envy) or even to criticise HDR techniques. It was a literal and straight comment - No offense intended, not even an attempt to egg anyone on. :D

It was a literal compliment.

Out of curiosity, how many times did you shoot this scene?

Dave

Walter_S Mar 5, 2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chato (Post 1061107)
...not even an attempt to egg anyone on. :D...

Not even a tiny-weeny-bit...? ;-)) Ha-ha!

First of all, Chato - I didn't take your initial commet in a critisizing manner and my reply to you was only ment to be kind of 'teasing' you in a friendly manner (notice the 'winky Smilie?), since I am well aware of your rather 'unambiguous campaign' against the use of HDR (and I do not critisize that either, you are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, which rather favors the use of HDR) and so it was only a gentle 'nudge' between friends. :D

Secondly, I had to look up 'emphemeral phenomonon' on Theosaurus, since I didn't know the meaning of the word emphemeral. It turns out it's spelled ephemeral (without the first 'm') and so I have learned a new word in the English language today! Thank's, Dave! Indeed it was a phenomena which only lasted for a few hours.

Thirdly, to answer your question - When I shoot for HDR (which is almost all of the time...:p), I shoot in series of 5 exposures (my camera, the G1 has a phenomenal bracket-function with either 3, 5 or 7 AEB with either 0,3 - 0,5 - 0,7 or 1,0 EV's apart. So I can tune and play that camera like a fiddle to my liking...!).

To be sure to have the widest span of values possible, I usually do 3 such 5-exposure-series:

1. - On the meter = 0 EV - that's without any Exposure-Compensation.
2. with EC at - 1
3. with EC at + 1

Giving me a whole lot of values to play with, all the way from -2,4 EV via zero to + 2,4 EV.

The above HDR is made out of 5 exposures together. A motive like this is a chance to take, because the slightes movement of the pine-needles in a faint breeze can ruin the HDR. I was lucky.

Have a nice week-end, Dave!

Widowmaker Mar 5, 2010 6:04 PM

That is just awful.

Widowmaker Mar 5, 2010 6:04 PM

Awful good :)

Chato Mar 5, 2010 7:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter_S (Post 1061329)
Not even a tiny-weeny-bit...? ;-)) Ha-ha!

First of all, Chato - I didn't take your initial commet in a critisizing manner and my reply to you was only ment to be kind of 'teasing' you in a friendly manner (notice the 'winky Smilie?), since I am well aware of your rather 'unambiguous campaign' against the use of HDR (and I do not critisize that either, you are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, which rather favors the use of HDR) and so it was only a gentle 'nudge' between friends. :D

Secondly, I had to look up 'emphemeral phenomonon' on Theosaurus, since I didn't know the meaning of the word emphemeral. It turns out it's spelled ephemeral (without the first 'm') and so I have learned a new word in the English language today! Thank's, Dave! Indeed it was a phenomena which only lasted for a few hours.

Thirdly, to answer your question - When I shoot for HDR (which is almost all of the time...:p), I shoot in series of 5 exposures (my camera, the G1 has a phenomenal bracket-function with either 3, 5 or 7 AEB with either 0,3 - 0,5 - 0,7 or 1,0 EV's apart. So I can tune and play that camera like a fiddle to my liking...!).

To be sure to have the widest span of values possible, I usually do 3 such 5-exposure-series:

1. - On the meter = 0 EV - that's without any Exposure-Compensation.
2. with EC at - 1
3. with EC at + 1

Giving me a whole lot of values to play with, all the way from -2,4 EV via zero to + 2,4 EV.

The above HDR is made out of 5 exposures together. A motive like this is a chance to take, because the slightes movement of the pine-needles in a faint breeze can ruin the HDR. I was lucky.

Have a nice week-end, Dave!

I respect the rules of this forum, which is why I haven't posted a shot. My original comment was not intended to egg anyone on, "even a tiny-weeny-bit."

I actually thought about the comment before I made it, and said to myself, "should I be afraid of saying what's on my mind, because everyone thinks ANY mention of HDR automaticaly means I'm turning the knife?

I get a chance to shoot scenes like this maybe once every year. This year, I didn't have a camera. I once saw a scene similar to this, that occurs once in a lifetime, again no camera. And the thought crossed my mind, AFTER I processed your image, that if I was there, I would have taken a hundred different shots from various angles. Thus my question.

Again Walter - stunning photograph!

Dave

Walter_S Mar 7, 2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chato (Post 1061489)
...And the thought crossed my mind, AFTER I processed your image, that if I was there, I would have taken a hundred different shots from various angles. Thus my question....

Thank's again Dave!

I think I may have missunderstood your question in post 16 before about how many exposures I made. My answer was based on this motive here alone! After all, you asked how many exposures of this scene!

But after that, I keept on shooting that morning, moving from tree to tree, until I hade som 150-shots with different exposure-values. I will post a new thread in the Landscape-forum with some of them!

BTW - feel free to post your edit here Dave, if you like - and thank you for obtaining permission first! :)

AAMOF I just posted the other pictures, and here is the link: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...edles-2-a.html

Thanks for stopping by.

Chato Mar 7, 2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter_S (Post 1059171)

Ok, read your post and editited your middle exposure. Total time one minute.

Auto levels, auto color, hyped saturation and unsharp mask

From your Middle exposure. On my monitor, it looked soft, so I hyped it for translation to the WEB...

http://davidbarkinphotography.com/tmp/WALTER_S1.JPG

And of course, it's smaller than your version, and your middle exposure is not the exact same crop as your HDR version.

Dave

Walter_S Mar 8, 2010 1:03 PM

Not bad, Dave - not bad at all - considering you only had the small 800 x 600 to work with.

Thanks for the edit, Dave - appreciate your work and interest!
:)

P.S.: You are not getting me to say any wise words about HDR - because I have none...!

Chato Mar 8, 2010 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter_S (Post 1062536)
Not bad, Dave - not bad at all - considering you only had the small 800 x 600 to work with.

Thanks for the edit, Dave - appreciate your work and interest!
:)

P.S.: You are not getting me to say any wise words about HDR - because I have none...!

Oddly enough, in the latest thread I started, "Shooting Chato II," HDR would have come in quite handy. I played around in Photoshop three layer method, and got the first shot to have a blue sky. Then I got involved in other matters, deleted the original RAW and... :(

Dave

Charlie46227 Apr 9, 2010 9:25 PM

Chato, so you think you can get to #1 by doing pp in PS or what? #1 is absolutely stunning, totally nicer than #2 [not being critical of #2, but comparatively...]

scarface199 Apr 9, 2010 9:41 PM

Awesome shot... Great job capturing it.

The technical name for that stuff is called Hoar frost, It is when you get fog and the surface temp of objects are below freezing. Awesome stuff to capture.