Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   HDR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hdr-98/)
-   -   Frozen Pine-Needles in HDR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hdr-98/frozen-pine-needles-hdr-166900/)

Walter C Mar 1, 2010 1:02 AM

Walter, that's a terrific shot!

Walter_S Mar 1, 2010 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chato (Post 1059176)
...I don't see why you needed HDR, but it's a Wonderful job....

This is you, Chato - But thanks all the same! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hards80 (Post 1059314)
...and one of my favorites from you, though completely different than your norm.

Thank you for your generouse comments, Dustin!
:-))

--------------------------------

- mntgal
- jelpee
- MACKPUDGIES
- Walter C

Thank you all guys and gals for kind words and for taking the time to comment!
:wave1:

Walter_S Mar 1, 2010 2:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bynx (Post 1059333)
...Not to be morbid, but should you die soon, would you leave me your camera?

On one condition, Bynx - That you will come and collect it personnally, because I can't afford the shipping-dues...
:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by simple (Post 1059438)
...very nice shot walter

Thank's Simon!
:-)

maggo85 Mar 1, 2010 3:25 PM

Walter, this is an AMAZING work - really outstanding! The details are just stunning - you and of course DPHDR did a fantastic job :)

Walter_S Mar 3, 2010 9:23 AM

It's mother nature and that bloody cold winter who did this - I just klicked the shutter...
:-)

Thank you for commenting!

Chato Mar 4, 2010 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter_S (Post 1059657)
This is you, Chato - But thanks all the same! ;)

Walter, I think this is a great shot of an emphemeral phenomonon. I ran your middle exposure through the levels command of PS. Looks just like your final version (with a little unsharp mask) . I didn't make this oberservation to criticize this wonderful shot, (of which I am green with envy) or even to criticise HDR techniques. It was a literal and straight comment - No offense intended, not even an attempt to egg anyone on. :D

It was a literal compliment.

Out of curiosity, how many times did you shoot this scene?

Dave

Walter_S Mar 5, 2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chato (Post 1061107)
...not even an attempt to egg anyone on. :D...

Not even a tiny-weeny-bit...? ;-)) Ha-ha!

First of all, Chato - I didn't take your initial commet in a critisizing manner and my reply to you was only ment to be kind of 'teasing' you in a friendly manner (notice the 'winky Smilie?), since I am well aware of your rather 'unambiguous campaign' against the use of HDR (and I do not critisize that either, you are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, which rather favors the use of HDR) and so it was only a gentle 'nudge' between friends. :D

Secondly, I had to look up 'emphemeral phenomonon' on Theosaurus, since I didn't know the meaning of the word emphemeral. It turns out it's spelled ephemeral (without the first 'm') and so I have learned a new word in the English language today! Thank's, Dave! Indeed it was a phenomena which only lasted for a few hours.

Thirdly, to answer your question - When I shoot for HDR (which is almost all of the time...:p), I shoot in series of 5 exposures (my camera, the G1 has a phenomenal bracket-function with either 3, 5 or 7 AEB with either 0,3 - 0,5 - 0,7 or 1,0 EV's apart. So I can tune and play that camera like a fiddle to my liking...!).

To be sure to have the widest span of values possible, I usually do 3 such 5-exposure-series:

1. - On the meter = 0 EV - that's without any Exposure-Compensation.
2. with EC at - 1
3. with EC at + 1

Giving me a whole lot of values to play with, all the way from -2,4 EV via zero to + 2,4 EV.

The above HDR is made out of 5 exposures together. A motive like this is a chance to take, because the slightes movement of the pine-needles in a faint breeze can ruin the HDR. I was lucky.

Have a nice week-end, Dave!

Widowmaker Mar 5, 2010 6:04 PM

That is just awful.

Widowmaker Mar 5, 2010 6:04 PM

Awful good :)

Chato Mar 5, 2010 7:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter_S (Post 1061329)
Not even a tiny-weeny-bit...? ;-)) Ha-ha!

First of all, Chato - I didn't take your initial commet in a critisizing manner and my reply to you was only ment to be kind of 'teasing' you in a friendly manner (notice the 'winky Smilie?), since I am well aware of your rather 'unambiguous campaign' against the use of HDR (and I do not critisize that either, you are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, which rather favors the use of HDR) and so it was only a gentle 'nudge' between friends. :D

Secondly, I had to look up 'emphemeral phenomonon' on Theosaurus, since I didn't know the meaning of the word emphemeral. It turns out it's spelled ephemeral (without the first 'm') and so I have learned a new word in the English language today! Thank's, Dave! Indeed it was a phenomena which only lasted for a few hours.

Thirdly, to answer your question - When I shoot for HDR (which is almost all of the time...:p), I shoot in series of 5 exposures (my camera, the G1 has a phenomenal bracket-function with either 3, 5 or 7 AEB with either 0,3 - 0,5 - 0,7 or 1,0 EV's apart. So I can tune and play that camera like a fiddle to my liking...!).

To be sure to have the widest span of values possible, I usually do 3 such 5-exposure-series:

1. - On the meter = 0 EV - that's without any Exposure-Compensation.
2. with EC at - 1
3. with EC at + 1

Giving me a whole lot of values to play with, all the way from -2,4 EV via zero to + 2,4 EV.

The above HDR is made out of 5 exposures together. A motive like this is a chance to take, because the slightes movement of the pine-needles in a faint breeze can ruin the HDR. I was lucky.

Have a nice week-end, Dave!

I respect the rules of this forum, which is why I haven't posted a shot. My original comment was not intended to egg anyone on, "even a tiny-weeny-bit."

I actually thought about the comment before I made it, and said to myself, "should I be afraid of saying what's on my mind, because everyone thinks ANY mention of HDR automaticaly means I'm turning the knife?

I get a chance to shoot scenes like this maybe once every year. This year, I didn't have a camera. I once saw a scene similar to this, that occurs once in a lifetime, again no camera. And the thought crossed my mind, AFTER I processed your image, that if I was there, I would have taken a hundred different shots from various angles. Thus my question.

Again Walter - stunning photograph!

Dave