Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   HDR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hdr-98/)
-   -   HDR-Sunset with snow and ice (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hdr-98/hdr-sunset-snow-ice-166402/)

Walter_S Feb 19, 2010 2:02 PM

HDR-Sunset with snow and ice

Sunsets ar normally not the ones best suited for HRD-renderings, and I havn't been posting much here lately.

I did it anyway - like everything else photographic nowadays - I shoot it with 3 or mostly 5 brackets and it ends up within DynamicPhoto-HDR's guts. Some are just o.k., while others are 'acceptable'.

http://iloapp.marvellcorp.com/data/_...00_resized.jpg
I am not sure these candy-colored sunsets are everybody's cup of tea. Some call it 'kitch' - is it?

The reason I have to post this colorful picture today is purely for self-healing purposes - because I am so tired of winter, the cold and the snow which never seems to stop falling! More and more every day, and the forecast for the next 3 weeks isn't encouraging either. Cold-spells with more snow......! :eek:

zig-123 Feb 19, 2010 2:12 PM

Well, viewing these types of images give me inspiration.

I only wish I was lucky enough to have been able to see it first hand.

Zig

Ordo Feb 19, 2010 2:14 PM

Let the winter never stop at Norway if it helps to bring us such beautiful picks.

mtngal Feb 19, 2010 3:08 PM

I don't care what others think of sunrises and sunsets - I love them anyways. This is beautifully done, I feel like I was there. And since I'm sympathetic about you getting tired of winter, I won't tell you about the 80 F weather we had at work a couple of days ago. Went for a walk at lunch in a long-sleeved shirt and didn't go far because I got too hot. But reality is going to set in tonight - they are predicting possible snow showers at home. Lupine and poppies might be blooming along the freeways and the foothills are very green (for a change), but winter isn't quite over yet.

You can sympathize with me come late summer/early fall when I'm tired of really hot weather and brown hills, while you're enjoying comfortable weather.

Bynx Feb 19, 2010 5:02 PM

Its amazing there is so much yellow and the snow is still nice and white. Beautiful scene in any country any time.

amcam Feb 19, 2010 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter_S (Post 1054214)
Sunsets ar normally not the ones best suited for HRD-renderings, and I havn't been posting much here lately.

Why is that ?

I would have thought that a sunset with snow and black rocks would have had as big a dynamic range as you'd get ?

Walter_S Feb 20, 2010 7:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zig-123 (Post 1054216)
Well, viewing these types of images give me inspiration.

Thank you Zig!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ordo (Post 1054217)
Let the winter never stop at Norway if it helps to bring us such beautiful picks.

I appreciate your nice comment, Ordo!
:-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bynx (Post 1054267)
Its amazing there is so much yellow and the snow is still nice and white. Beautiful scene in any country any time.

I was astounded myself, Bynx, but HPDPH pulled it off. Thank's for your comment!

Quote:

Originally Posted by amcam (Post 1054278)
Why is that ?

I would have thought that a sunset with snow and black rocks would have had as big a dynamic range as you'd get ?

Well yes - you are right just in this case because there is this red-brown rock showing underneath the snow - which came out rather good in the HDR.

But my initial remark was ment more in general terms about the use of HDR with sunset-scenes.

...:)

Walter_S Feb 20, 2010 7:12 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtngal (Post 1054235)
...And since I'm sympathetic about you getting tired of winter, I won't tell you about the 80 F weather we had at work a couple of days ago. Went for a walk at lunch in a long-sleeved shirt and didn't go far because I got too hot....

Nice of you to be so considerate, mtngal! ;)

I also appreciate you having a hard time and not beeing able to walk too far because of high temperatures....:rolleyes:

Woke up this morning to a new load of "White Stuff" all over my porch and driveway.....

Here are som quick snaps done with my good old Lumix FZ-28 to give you an idea of what it looks like these days. :mad1:

The last picture is a hand-held panorama-shot taken throug my livingroom-window, showing the restricted view, due to snow and wind. Usually I can see quite clear across the bay, the bridge on the other side and the hills beyond.....

BTW - Thanks for your kind words about my sunset-pix!

Have a nice and warm day, everyone! :D

mtngal Feb 20, 2010 12:29 PM

Very cool pictures - in more ways than one. I'd like to see your view when its clear - it looks like a very beautiful one, one I would love. But I don't envy you your decking - is it wood or one of the composite materials (one type here is called Trex)? I've thought about getting it on our decking - our wood porch gets icy easily and very slippery (above freezing most days, below freezing most nights) and I wondered if something like that would be better.

Our weather has gone back to winter - woke up to a dusting of snow on the trees, cars and deck, but the ground is too warm to freeze. It was raining lightly a few minutes ago, but has now turned to light snow - don't think it knows what it wants to do today.

Hope you stay warm also.

bahadir Feb 20, 2010 8:11 PM

Such a pleasure to look while sipping red wine from the goblet next to the screen : ) You gathered some very nice complementary colours in the foreground and the background in a tastefully composed image! I'd crop a little from the top so as to force the perception sweep along the foreground to the mid and then to the back. I'd also replace a little blue with yellow using the colour balance tool for a somewhat more harmonious mood.