Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   HDR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hdr-98/)
-   -   Some of my HDR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hdr-98/some-my-hdr-165858/)

Jayrou Feb 7, 2010 3:36 PM

Some of my HDR

Hi , Its great to see a new HDR forum here, I hope you don't mind me sharing some of mine..:)

This Is Corbiere Lighthouse Jersey Channel Islands

Canon 50D - EF-S 18-200mm
3 Exposures run through photomatrix

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs30/i/20..._by_Jayrou.jpg

This is a house that overlooks the lighthouse

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20..._by_Jayrou.jpg

This is St Savoiurs Church, one of the many stunning little church's in Jersey

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20..._by_Jayrou.jpg

Thanks

James...:o

AaronB Feb 7, 2010 5:25 PM

Wow. Those are beautiful. I think I like #3 the best. The church color and detail look amazing and the tree and headstones add a wonderfully dark feel to the scene.
I'm new to this and just tried Photomatix the other day for the first time. You really give me something to aspire to. Thanks for sharing.

Bynx Feb 7, 2010 6:06 PM

You are going to hear lots of negativity about your shots being over the top. But I love em. They have transcended from a mere photo to a piece of art. My only comment is the second one seems a big bright. Id like to see more detail on the left side of the white corner stones and the left side wall.

Jayrou Feb 7, 2010 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronB (Post 1049432)
Wow. Those are beautiful. I think I like #3 the best. The church color and detail look amazing and the tree and headstones add a wonderfully dark feel to the scene.
I'm new to this and just tried Photomatix the other day for the first time. You really give me something to aspire to. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Aaron,I appreciate your comments, I agree there is more detail in the Church, The 3 images were taken with 3 different lens,the church being taken my new 17-40L and its sure sharper than the EF-S that was used for the 1st image, although I didn't really know what I was doing when I took that (still don't really), Only 7 months into my photography addiction..:o

Cheers

Jayrou Feb 7, 2010 6:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bynx (Post 1049451)
You are going to hear lots of negativity about your shots being over the top. But I love em. They have transcended from a mere photo to a piece of art. My only comment is the second one seems a big bright. Id like to see more detail on the left side of the white corner stones and the left side wall.

Thank Bynx,really appreciate your comments,my idea of over he top would be halo's everywhere,I don't mind a little dreamylook, or looking like it could be in a Tombraider game..:)

Thanks again

Chato Feb 7, 2010 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bynx (Post 1049451)

Correct... :D

They ARE art, and very well done at that. But are they photographs? Their not what I would see, not even close.

Dave

Jayrou Feb 7, 2010 6:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chato (Post 1049477)
Correct... :D

They ARE art, and very well done at that. But are they photographs? Their not what I would see, not even close.

Dave

Well I didn't draw them Dave..:p

Chato Feb 7, 2010 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayrou (Post 1049482)
Well I didn't draw them Dave..:p

Most disagree with the flavor of my posts. So feel free to join the crowd! :)

But if you notice we have a forum for "Digital Art." Most of this digital art is based on photographs - Indeed, I make my own digital art based on my photographs. I am very pleased with my digital art... :)

Whatever I said to critique your images, I never called them "bad."

Dave

mtngal Feb 7, 2010 6:56 PM

They definitely fall into the fantasy category of HDR, rather than the natural category. I have yet to take a scene that translates well to this effect, which yours do - the scenes are very dramatic and the processing accentuates that. Some day I'd like to produce something like this that works - it's fun in small doses. They won't appeal to everyone, but that's the nature of things - we all come in different sizes and have different tastes.

Jayrou Feb 7, 2010 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chato (Post 1049487)
Most disagree with the flavor of my posts. So feel free to join the crowd! :)

But if you notice we have a forum for "Digital Art." Most of this digital art is based on photographs - Indeed, I make my own digital art based on my photographs. I am very pleased with my digital art... :)

Whatever I said to critique your images, I never called them "bad."

Dave

Yes, I've seen a pattern emerging whilst browsing..;)

No, Sorry I didn't mean that to come out as it did,you're entitled to say what you feel about anything.

Chato Feb 7, 2010 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayrou (Post 1049490)
Yes, I've seen a pattern emerging whilst browsing..;)

No, Sorry I didn't mean that to come out as it did,you're entitled to say what you feel about anything.

Trust me, I'm not offended. Indeed, I didn't want to offend you... :D

BTW: Moutain girl is constantly posting HDR images. It's almost impossible to tell them apart from non HDR stuff - Meaning that she's expanded the dynamic range to the point where the shadows and highlights are visible and yet, appear to be what an on site observer would see.

Dave

Hards80 Feb 7, 2010 7:15 PM

these look great. i really love the mood imparted not only by your processing, but also your use of perspective in shots #1 and #2. thanks for sharing, looking forward to more.

over-the-top is a matter of taste, i find these to be of the good flavor.

simple Feb 8, 2010 12:42 AM

a excellent set jayrou and just how i personally like em a kinda dark mood as hards80 put it but none nicely done :)

Jayrou Feb 8, 2010 5:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chato (Post 1049493)
Trust me, I'm not offended. Indeed, I didn't want to offend you... :D

BTW: Moutain girl is constantly posting HDR images. It's almost impossible to tell them apart from non HDR stuff - Meaning that she's expanded the dynamic range to the point where the shadows and highlights are visible and yet, appear to be what an on site observer would see.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I had seen Mountain Girls images, Like others have said its all down to preference

Cheers for you input though.

James

Jayrou Feb 8, 2010 5:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hards80 (Post 1049496)
these look great. i really love the mood imparted not only by your processing, but also your use of perspective in shots #1 and #2. thanks for sharing, looking forward to more.

over-the-top is a matter of taste, i find these to be of the good flavor.

Thank you Hards80, much appreciated...:)

Jayrou Feb 8, 2010 5:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simple (Post 1049603)
a excellent set jayrou and just how i personally like em a kinda dark mood as hards80 put it but none nicely done :)

Thank you, its how I would prefer to see HDR too..:D

Cheers

Jayrou Feb 8, 2010 5:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtngal (Post 1049489)
They definitely fall into the fantasy category of HDR, rather than the natural category. I have yet to take a scene that translates well to this effect, which yours do - the scenes are very dramatic and the processing accentuates that. Some day I'd like to produce something like this that works - it's fun in small doses. They won't appeal to everyone, but that's the nature of things - we all come in different sizes and have different tastes.

Sorry, missed this last night

I can't argue with any of that, I appreciate that we all have different tastes

I've yet to find any rules about the correct way when it comes to processing HDR, what I have noticed is for every one that dislikes the way I process my images I have 10 that love it.

Thanks for your comments

James

vvcarpio Feb 8, 2010 9:45 AM

I couldn't see the pics anymore. In any case, I saw them yesterday and thought they are stunning. They looked like the examples I saw in this book and I think should also be published in a book. :)

Jayrou Feb 8, 2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvcarpio (Post 1049706)
I couldn't see the pics anymore. In any case, I saw them yesterday and thought they are stunning. They looked like the examples I saw in this book and I think should also be published in a book. :)

Thank you.......... they are still there?,anyway....... funny enough,I only got into photography last year and soon after someone sent me that picture by Pete Carr on the cover, which was the first time I had heard of HDR, that picture looking at the Liverpool Liver buildings inspired me to have a go at it myself.

I did get a landscape version of the first HDR image printed in February's edition of Photography Monthly Magazine, which made my day if I'm honest.

Thanks

neilcrichton Feb 8, 2010 11:18 AM

Vertical distortion

1 Attachment(s)
Excellent use of HDR producing a wonderful fantasy effect. The second shows considerable vertical distortion. I had a go at it in PSE to correct this.

Jayrou Feb 8, 2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilcrichton (Post 1049747)
Excellent use of HDR producing a wonderful fantasy effect. The second shows considerable vertical distortion. I had a go at it in PSE to correct this.

I appreciate your comments, I like the distortion that my Sigma 10mm lens gives to the image, I think it adds to the dramatic effect.

Does your version not look a little blurry now?