Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   HDR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hdr-98/)
-   -   When a single RAW file works best (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hdr-98/when-single-raw-file-works-best-166111/)

Walter C Feb 12, 2010 10:06 PM

When a single RAW file works best

1 Attachment(s)
Today I shot a 3 frame HDR in a local park. Problem is that there were ducks in the water that were swimming fast enough to appear at different locations in each frame -- even though I was shooting at multiple shot mode. Here's the full view.

Walter C Feb 12, 2010 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not too bad...until you look closer. Here's a crop from the center of the frame. Clearly, there is a lot of ghosting with the swimming ducks.

Walter C Feb 12, 2010 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Then, I ran the 3 frames through Photomatix again, using the setting that attempts to reduce ghosting. Here's what I got. Still ghosting.

Walter C Feb 12, 2010 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So, I tried using the middle exposure RAW file and created 3 different exposures in Photomatix Pro. Here's the full shot.

Walter C Feb 12, 2010 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And, finally, the crop from the middle of the frame. No ghosting. So, there are situations when using a single RAW file is the only way to go.

Walter_S Feb 14, 2010 3:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter C (Post 1051547)
Today I shot a 3 frame HDR in a local park.... Here's the full view.

Interesting thread, Walter.

But what puzzles me most is, WHERE IS THE SNOW AND THE ICE!!! :eek: How can you have a winter and no snow?

This is not fair!
:o

You must be living in paradise!

This is a picture of the pond here in Fredrikstad that used to be crowded with lots of ducks and swans......:(

Chato Feb 14, 2010 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter_S (Post 1052187)
Interesting thread, Walter.

But what puzzles me most is, WHERE IS THE SNOW AND THE ICE!!! :eek: How can you have a winter and no snow?

This is not fair!
:o

You must be living in paradise!

I've already complained to management. All of these people are going to be banned for violating the rules of the site! :mad1:

Dave

Walter C Feb 14, 2010 3:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, Walter, I hate to do this to you but....today it is 75 degrees here at the beach. Last week a storm dumped 2 feet of snow in our nearby mountains which are about 50 miles east of here. So, on a day like today you could be wearing nothing but your swim trunks, getting a nice tan, and looking eastward from your beach chair and seeing this sight. (Actually taken from the top of a parking structure in downtown).

VTphotog Feb 14, 2010 5:02 PM

AP news article says that 49 of 50 states have snow. Hawaii the only holdout.
Fortunately, we are pretty used to it here. Summer is actually just 30 days of bad sledding.

brian

mtngal Feb 14, 2010 10:37 PM

Love the variety - while I'm shoveling snow from my driveway, a co-worker is surfing about 75 miles away. Thursday I was taking pictures of a sunbather in shorts at lunchtime and Friday (furlough day) I was snowshoeing, taking pictures of shadows on snow.