Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:53 AM   #101

Default Interesting Trash or Toss in Trash?

At the transfer station and intriged by the colors. Light coming from all over the place so shot HDR. What do you think?
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:57 AM   #102

Better results with Dynamic Photo HDR Walter. Much better than with Photomatix as I see.
Stupendous picks. That Lumix FZ 28 is something!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:42 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Hi guys and gals!

BTW - this HDR was renedered in Dynamic-Photo HDR and not in Photomatic Pro! I just had to find out what the difference between them is.
Thanks a lot for letting us know you used Dynamic-Photo HDR, and showing us the middle exposure as well! I use Dynamic-Photo HDR, too, and now I know its capabilities.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 2:44 PM   #104

Default Photomatix Pro vs Dynamic-Photo HDR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Better results with Dynamic Photo HDR Walter. Much better than with Photomatix as I see.
...That Lumix FZ 28 is something!
Now, let's not get confused and / or biased her! This last HDR in post #100 was actually rendered in Photomatix Pro. It's an old rendering that I posted anew today - but it is a Photomatix Pro-HDR!!

And, yes Ordo - I am quite happy with my FZ-28. It has very good optics which really helps me to picture what I see and, to some extend, what I feel when I see it! You could say, 'its a happy marriage' - my FZ-28 and me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thanks a lot for letting us know you used Dynamic-Photo HDR, and showing us the middle exposure as well! I use Dynamic-Photo HDR, too, and now I know its capabilities.
To be perfectly true I prefer Dynamic-Photo HDR when I have planned my shots carefully. That means, they are taken with HDR in mind and that I have used a sturdy tripod. The slightest mis-alignement results in non-perfect alignement in the end-result and blurry edges.

Wheras Photomatix Pro has the best alignement-procedure of them all. Its quite amazing really, to think that the picture in #100 has been taken handheld - Yes, handheld, because I didn't plan the shot and had no tripod with me! There is actually a slight miss-alignement between the 3 exposures (which Dynamic-Photo HDR couldn't handle!), but Photomatix Pro has managed to aligne them just perfectly, giving a razor-sharp image.

Here is another HDR done with Dynamic-Photo HDR which came out rather nicely, wheras an earlier Photomatix Pro-one showed signs of grain with the same exposures.

This is a night-shot at 05:30 in the morning, approx. 30 minutes before the sun came out:

At the end, as usual, the middle exposure of the above 3-exposure-HDR:

Enjoy!
Attached Images

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Nov 9, 2009 at 2:58 PM. Reason: Editing out spelling-errors! :o]
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 2:51 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
...Light coming from all over the place so shot HDR. What do you think?
Hello pboerger,
I think this is a perfect situation where HDR is at its best, giving all the different values present.

Thank you for sharing!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:05 PM   #106

Thanks, Walter S.

I also discovered by accident that with single shots, I can combine different presets in Dynamic Photo HDR (DPH) to get different results.

For example, image#1 below is the original. I ran DPH's "halo-matix" preset against it to get image#2. Thinking that I hadn't run HDR yet on the original, by mistake I ran DPH's "ultra-contrast" preset against image#2 instead of image#1. What resulted is #3 which is a combination of the "halo-matix" followed by the "ultra-contrast" presets. Running just "ultra-contrast" against the original didn't produce as colorful as "halo-matix" and "ultra-contrast" combined.

I don't know if this technique is already standard practice but I thought I'd pass it along.

Image#1: Original

Image#2: Halo-Matix

Image#3: Halo-Matix followed by Ultra-Contrast
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:34 AM   #107

Very interesting, vvcarpio!

This is exactly what this thread needs. On-hands experience and experimenting with different softwares.

The way to the final HDR is very diversified - so it seems!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:26 AM   #108

Default A block of flats:

I have posted this one in http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ar...ts-really.html in the Architecture-forum, but belive it would fit in this thread here nicely as it shows a perfect example that speaks for the use of HDR.

It was the challenge to picture something shot straight against the sun (Yes I know, it's a hazy one, but still...) and still get enough details in the shadows, that I could not resist!

Dynamic-Photo HDR (which I grow more and more found of - at the expense of Dynamix Pro) has done a perfect job in getting out all the details I wanted.

Blokkene på Nygårdsbryggen i Fredrikstad:

This is the middle-exposure of the above 3-exposure HDR:

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Nov 12, 2009 at 8:56 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 6:55 AM   #109

Its good to examine a good HDR, thats not over the top. What I see that makes your first shot stick out is the strength of color and richness of detail. The grey blocks on the left have very subtle changes of light with the bumpy surface which you can see easily in the HDR. Also the yellowish bricks beside them has a nice rich color and again more details. In the HDR you can actually see where the sun is while in the other shot it could be anywhere. For me, HDR is the best thing to come along since I first picked up a camera. It has made me look at things differently now that I am more aware of the bright things and the dark things in a picture instead of just settling for the middle ground.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:14 PM   #110

that may just be a block of flats but they look good due to HDR