Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:58 PM   #131
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,646
Default

As Walter says, the settings depend on the photo specs. I suggest you start each picture with DEFAULT setting. Then tweak it from there. When you get the feel for the sliders you will know better how to adjust them if you have a common starting point.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:56 PM   #132
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

Thank you very, very much Simple, Walter, Bynx and everyone else for these FANTASTIC introductions and tips for making HDR's - this is really helpful!!

So... I read every page of this thread and created my FIRST HDR - take a look and PLEASE tell my what you like and what I can make better (most important for me!):

The picture is a little chapel near our hometown - I'm looking for a location to marry

Name:  2009-11-29-1c-small.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  241.9 KB

This one was done with Photomatix - I've played around a bit and this is the result

Name:  2009-11-29-1d-small.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  251.9 KB

The same with Dynamic-Photo HDR

Name:  2009-11-29-1c-orig--small.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  220.3 KB

And here is the middle-exposure original - it was a 3-exposure-bracketing that was shoot hand-held.

Which one do you like more, what is good, what's bad? I'm looking forward to read your comments!
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:22 PM   #133
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fredrikstad - Norway / Europe
Posts: 1,954
Default

Congratulations, Maggo85 for your first HDR - And you have done well!

This is a nice place to get married in. Beautiful and romantic settings.

As for your picture. I am impressed that you shot these at 1/30" handheld and still got enough aligning for a DPH! Solid and steady hand, I guess.

There is really not that much difference between the two softwares. The #1 (Photomatix) is IMO the best with the cleanest whites of the ceiling / walls but DPH has given most details in the dark bits, the alter f. instance where the colors are more defined than in #1. The colors are generally more saturated in DPH.

All in all a good series. The only thing I would do is to level the picture. I have a feeling that the floor is tilting a bit to the right, or is it my eyesight playing tricks on me?

May be your middle exposure is a bit on the light side? You could have stopped down easily 1/3 EV - I think - But then I didn't see the other exposures. How far apart are they? 1 full EV or maybe 2 EV's?

Well done for your first HDR. I am impressed by the whites, which has a tendency to color either cold or warm.

Keep shooting, Maggo85!

Last edited by Walter_S; Nov 30, 2009 at 4:27 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 7:49 PM   #134
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,646
Default

Here is a comparison between the outputs of Dynamic and Photomatix.



Dynamic has highlights slightly blown out compared to Photomatix.
With the alter piece the colors are more rich and brighter with Dynamic.
Notice the lace. There is more detail with Photomatix.
All these differences are just a matter of altering the sliders. Both pics are over saturated with color compared to the colors of your middle exposure. In this case the oversaturation is a good thing. Its not too much. I think another darker exposure would have helped with the highlights. But for a first attempt you have really done well.

Last edited by Bynx; Nov 30, 2009 at 7:57 PM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:28 PM   #135
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

Interesting comparison. Just my personal opinion, but I'm not crazy about the Dynamic version. I only tried Photomatix, liked it and didn't bother trying anything else. And I agree that it looks like a lovely place for a wedding!

There's lots of different ways of approaching HDR. I use Lightroom a lot, so I use it to select the various frames, export to Photomatix, take a look at what the default settings come up with and then change very little - sometimes the strength, sometimes the light smoothing (like Walter I use the the higher settings), then skip most of the other adjustments. I process it, which also automatically brings the new picture into Lightroom, then I make whatever adjustments to contrast, light/dark and saturation (I find Photomatix often over-saturates colors or emphases certain colors in strange ways). I'm more comfortable using LR for things like this.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:04 AM   #136
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Congratulations, Maggo85 for your first HDR - And you have done well!

This is a nice place to get married in. Beautiful and romantic settings.

As for your picture. I am impressed that you shot these at 1/30" handheld and still got enough aligning for a DPH! Solid and steady hand, I guess.

There is really not that much difference between the two softwares. The #1 (Photomatix) is IMO the best with the cleanest whites of the ceiling / walls but DPH has given most details in the dark bits, the alter f. instance where the colors are more defined than in #1. The colors are generally more saturated in DPH.

All in all a good series. The only thing I would do is to level the picture. I have a feeling that the floor is tilting a bit to the right, or is it my eyesight playing tricks on me?

May be your middle exposure is a bit on the light side? You could have stopped down easily 1/3 EV - I think - But then I didn't see the other exposures. How far apart are they? 1 full EV or maybe 2 EV's?

Well done for your first HDR. I am impressed by the whites, which has a tendency to color either cold or warm.

Keep shooting, Maggo85!
Thank you Walter for your detailed look at my HDR! Would be a beautiful place to marry, but unfortunately the chapel is too small for all the people

It was a hand-held shot, but I was leaning on the church door - so my hand is not as steady as you think

It's been an exposure-bracketing with the values "-2/0/+2" - but the middle-exposure is really a bit overexposed. If I had a tripod, I would have done another darker shot and then made the HDR out of 4 or maybe 5 single pics.

You're right when you say the pic is not level - I'll try to fix that issue and also cut the pic a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Here is a comparison between the outputs of Dynamic and Photomatix.



Dynamic has highlights slightly blown out compared to Photomatix.
With the alter piece the colors are more rich and brighter with Dynamic.
Notice the lace. There is more detail with Photomatix.
All these differences are just a matter of altering the sliders. Both pics are over saturated with color compared to the colors of your middle exposure. In this case the oversaturation is a good thing. Its not too much. I think another darker exposure would have helped with the highlights. But for a first attempt you have really done well.
Wow, thanks for your detailed comparison and your kind words! I also like the Photomatix version more then the result from DPHDR - but I have to play around with the sliders oftener and sometime there will come great results

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Interesting comparison. Just my personal opinion, but I'm not crazy about the Dynamic version. I only tried Photomatix, liked it and didn't bother trying anything else. And I agree that it looks like a lovely place for a wedding!

There's lots of different ways of approaching HDR. I use Lightroom a lot, so I use it to select the various frames, export to Photomatix, take a look at what the default settings come up with and then change very little - sometimes the strength, sometimes the light smoothing (like Walter I use the the higher settings), then skip most of the other adjustments. I process it, which also automatically brings the new picture into Lightroom, then I make whatever adjustments to contrast, light/dark and saturation (I find Photomatix often over-saturates colors or emphases certain colors in strange ways). I'm more comfortable using LR for things like this.
Thank you too, mtngal! That's an interesting way - maybe I'll try that because I'm using Lightroom too.
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:12 AM   #137
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

Not all pictures look better with HDR, even ones that are beyond the dynamic range of the camera. I've looked at these two pictures in a couple of different programs. When I look at them in Lightroom, I think I prefer the middle frame (the dynamic range wasn't too much beyond the camera's capability), but when I looked at them in my uploaded photo album, I thought I liked the HDR version better. I think I've been looking at them too long and forget about it for a week. What do all of you think?

HDR version:



Non-HDR version:



Maybe I should take the room from the HDR version and paste it onto the non-HDR version and see if that works? Or not - I think I won't bother any more with this picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:40 PM   #138
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,646
Default

I prefere the HDR version hands down. Better details in the shadows. What you could try is to lay the Non HDR version over the HDR version as a layer in Photoshop then move the opacity slider until you get something in between.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 4:00 PM   #139
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I prefere the HDR version hands down. Better details in the shadows. What you could try is to lay the Non HDR version over the HDR version as a layer in Photoshop then move the opacity slider until you get something in between.
yes, that was my immediate thought as well.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 4:17 PM   #140
Senior Member
 
Ordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BsAs
Posts: 3,452
Default

hdr. Otherway the wall looks like a cave.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:01 PM.