Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:54 PM   #151

Those are stunning! (As usual... ) "Not overdone" would be an understatement -- I think they are perfect in that they set a mood of tranquility.

"Not overdone" was what came to mind because I'm sure on the first pic I would have made the mistake of trying to bring out the green on the grass. The two pictures below show what I mean.

#1. This is the "overexposed" version of 3 bracketed shots. The other two are much darker because I used a manual setting instead of the camera's auto-bracketing feature. (I've been doing that as an experiment to see if I can bring out detail in light bulbs, after Bynx wished that the light bulbs in my library shots were not as bright.)

#2. This what I have so far after post-processing with Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006's Editor. I've been making tweaks whenever I have some "free" time at work .

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is I am hell-bent on making my grass as green as I possibly can. I now think that's not always a wise thing to do. Your picture suggests a mood of calm. Unlit grass as that on your first pic I think best delivers the message that the day is ending itís time to retire.

I could argue that my photo, however, suggests that the night is just beginning letís go out to dance. But, really, thatís after-the-fact. Whereas you know exactly what youíre doing, I, on the other hand, donít.

Knowing when to stop making the grass any greener, I think, is what makes you a master of the craft .
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:12 PM   #152

VV, I think it would look nicer if the shot was taken later in the day. The sky is too brigt and the ligthts dont show up enough. A good balance between the two and you would have one mighty fine photo.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:46 PM   #153

That's actually the adjacent lawn of a restaurant ("Eagle's Nest" restaurant) in the Catskills where my son was attending a sweet-16 birthday party. My wife and I were there early (before the 5pm end-time) so we can take pictures.

Thanks for the tip, Bynx! It's a little hard for me to visualize but I will keep them in mind. I think it's as simple as hanging around just a wee bit longer next time around.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 2:37 PM   #154

Reffering to Walters newest shots - these two shots are overwhelming!! Everything's just perfect and as Bynx said, I love the composition of the first one

@vvcarpio: The pic itself looks really good, but I also share Bynx's opinion: The lights would come out better if the sky would be darker.

Last edited by maggo85; Dec 6, 2009 at 2:41 PM.
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:43 PM   #155

Test-shot with Panasonic Lumix G1 (Micro FourThirds).

This one was done in Dynamic-Photo HDR which is great - I grow more and more fond of it - wheras Photomatix could not have given me that smooth look I was after.

Below the inevitable middle-exposure:
Attached Images

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 4:47 PM   #156

The middle expo shot shows more sharpness and less color artifacts.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:18 AM   #157

Yes, Ordo - there is a natural explanation to this.

- It was constantly raining that day, I had to hurry and did not have the time to set up my tripod. So all shots in this series are handheld which will always give some blurr around otherwise sharp objects. This was actually the only 3 exposures that Dynamic-Photo HDR would accept (or would be able to align), all other HDR I have of this series had to be done in Photomatix.

- HDR introduces color artifacts of its own, depending on exposures. Also, the merging-process of stacking 3 exposures on top of each other enhances color-density - just like the function "Multiply" does in Photoshop when used on layers - also some colors may be affected more than others.

Another thing, Ordo. I am not a professional camera-tester. I am merely posting some shots that I find interesting.

Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:15 AM   #158

Hmmm... Not so sure. Some of your picks ar pro picks.
How do you compare the G1 with the FZ28? Do you perceive a real difference in sharpness, color saturation, etc.?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:33 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
...because I'm sure on the first pic I would have made the mistake of trying to bring out the green on the grass.

- Whereas you know exactly what youíre doing, I, on the other hand, donít...
vvcarpio - Thank you very much for your ever so kind words!!

Please do not see me as some HDR-expert. I struggle every day like you do, I may just be some weeks ahed of you since I started with HDR before you - that's all.

I make frequent mistakes and get my fair share of criticisme. I do sometimes "go overboard" with tweeking, because I do get carried away when pp'ing my pictures.

The last example of a misunderstood tweek was this here picture, which I thought was great because it displayed such a wide span of values. I was wrong. I posted it in http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...blue-hour.html and very soon got "thumped"... ... because the wet sand with tire-tracs was distracting from the main motive which was the bay....

So you see, you win some and you loose some. but thanks anyway, for having such high hopes for me and my photography!

Cheers!
Old Dec 7, 2009, 8:05 PM   #160

Hi, Walter! To be honest, I looked at your "The Blue Hour" link and have no idea what you're talking about. You made a stunning recovery (if that's a mistake at all) and made an already stunning series even more stunning. It felt like my heart was moving up my throat as I viewed the pictures one after another...

But I will consider your plea not to see you as an HDR expert. (I still think you are.) I will do so that I may believe someday I will be as good as it gets when it comes to HDR'ing. (Um, maybe I should start by getting my syntactics right -- I don't think "HDR" is a verb...)

Now if only I can get out of the habit of asking, "What would Walter S do in situations such as this" when stumped with an HDR conundrum...