Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Dec 14, 2009, 1:15 AM   #181

Its been some time since I'v been in here. About that X-maz box, Bynx. It looks strange and somewhat 'supernatural', but its a good take of something strange. You have managed to catch a lot of light- and color-values there!

About that last post: I like the "water-hole", Bynx.

It shows a nice mood and has an inviting ambiance about it and the red neon-sign is giving it a nice 'anchor'. (When I say, anchor I am just repeating what others use in critiques about my own pictures. I'm not quite sure what they mean, but I think I'm getting there...). Its not easy beeing a critique either, you have to be sure of what you are talking about!

And, BTW, it does not have the ususl giveaway-signs of beeing a HDR!

That alley-way is a spooky place, Bynx! It gives me the creeps. Is that where they shoot all them horror-movies? No way you would get me walk down that path - No way!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 4:26 AM   #182

That box is really a strange one indeed Walter. Its a milky white plastic box with the ribbon decoration glued on. The bottom is all open. Turning it over you would see the white christmas lights all balled up hanging from the center. When turned on you dont see the white lights but a whole bunch of diamond shaped prismic rainbows which look like they are floating inside the box. As soon as I saw it I bought it planning on taking some odd pics. Only problem is the pics dont come out nearly as odd as the actual box. I think there is a focusing problem with the prismic shapes. But I have lots of time and I will give it a shot again.
The Red Martini is a local eatery. I take my son there for supper once in a while. The food is good but pricey. Its just a 5 minute walk from home so its handy when we are hungry.
The eerie path actually leads to the back of a school yard. Its perfectly safe to walk anywhere anytime around here. You are more likely to run into some guy with a gun in a Subway Sandwich shop than in a school yard at night.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:09 PM   #183

Beautiful. You have really mastered that software
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:20 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I saw this interesting object in a store window today. There are some white LEDs inside the cloudy plastic box. The lights reflect prismatic colors due to the plastic material of the box. It looked so neat I bought it to shoot. I hope the pic gets across the sheer beauty and unusual appearance of this thing. Its a 4 shot HDR using Photomatix Pro.
Great shot of a very curious object! It reminds me of lab experiments in physics although I have not seen anything like it. I also imagine it's not easy to capture those lights the way you did.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:45 PM   #185

Got out and photographed the ol' church with a blazing sunrise....

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:29 AM   #186

I appreciate your getting up early for these shots. If Im up that early Im too comfortable to go outside and shoot anything. I wish I lived somewhere picturesque, or somewhere people looked better or at least worth photographing. Everything and everyone is so plain and boring. Boy am I in a slump.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 5:53 AM   #187

Colors, mood, and the overall feeeling of the picks are marvelous Acapulco. I like #2 especially. The missalignement of the curch is my only objection.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:05 AM   #188

I like both of your pics very much, especially the colors in the first one, and, like Ordo said, the mood they convey.

But I would have placed the church in #2 more in the left or right side so I have a more "Rule-of-third"-look... but that's just my two cents worth
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:17 AM   #189

Hey, Acapulco - That's a Winner!

The first one is just plain perfect in every way, also in composition and with juicy colors only a Nordic sun-rise / -set can produce. I know these colors all to well. Great values from the whitest white to the darkest black - it's all there.

How do you set your White-balance in these shots? The flood-light on the church itself is such a nice and warm white - I'm getting jealous here....

For the second one, I think you may need to righten your church a bit, and maybe a portrait-format on this one, would do it justice?

All in all, great work, Acapulco.

It's a nice feeling, coming home after an early and cold (clear nights are always cold...!) morning of taking night-shots, and stick your almost full SD-card into the PC-slot and examin all the pictures with a heart-beat in third gear!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:33 PM   #190

Thanks you all for your lovely comments. I didn't even know if I were to post these, thinking it would be to mondane or something.
Put you showed me wrong !

Walter, my auto white-balance is @ auto. I must be blessed with a magnificent whitening balance system in my D50, every picture I take feels new in contrast to pictures I've taken with the D60.

I never object if you were to alter my picture in any way you seem it is redeemed worthy. Align it and make portrait-formats if you want. It's nice to see how other people would like to see my own work. That may give me a new insight on the next thing I take a picture of.

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote