Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Dec 19, 2009, 9:46 AM   #211

I will throw mine in the pot since I finished it. Photomatix does a nice job eliminating the ghosting. The only problems there might be now is the color balance. That sunset with its redish orange glow doesnt help things.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 9:59 AM   #212

I might as well do "my bit" here in this community-effort. I had another go at DPHDR with 3 different renderings:

The first one is with Ultra Contrast-output, but with a level 3 (of total 6) Light Radius to tone down the eccessive dark & light contrast, that this method is known to produce.

The next one is Eye Catching-output, but lowered color satruration to 70

The last one is with the most "natural" - but least exiting "Smooth Compressor"-output at default settings.

And, best of all - No Ghosting at all. It can be done in DPHDR with its special Pin Warping-funktion, but it needs some extra work with manual settings.
Attached Images

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 19, 2009 at 1:01 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 1:45 PM   #213

I actually like the warmer touch from the sunset (Bynx, Aculpoco) Walter pictures to remind me more of a sunrise which I like as well, but knowing that it was late in the day, maybe I am relating more with Bynx. Thanks again to everyone.
2morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2009, 3:31 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Seeing that HDR brings out the colors I would imagine that the original shots for the sunset would not be as dramatic as what we see here. While I agree with you Walter that HDR is more noticeable in a 3D world, Im betting that the beach you see in tsjiaotais picture would be almost black without HDR. How about posting your middle shot to let us know what the scene looked like?
Here's the middle shot, beautiful in it's own right, but less dramatic then the HDR..put in a different manner, the HDR is closer to what I was actually seeing, instead of what the camera made of it...I think (in my limited experience) that that's the added value of HDR in sunrise/set pics

First the middle exposure, then again my HDR for comparison
Attached Images

Last edited by tsjiaotai; Dec 19, 2009 at 3:33 PM.
tsjiaotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:24 AM   #215

tsjiaotai one word comes to mind .... STUNNING!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:35 AM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
tsjiaotai one word comes to mind .... STUNNING!
thanks
although I didn't create the sky, I only held the camera
(and busted my tripod in the process, 1 of the legs broke off..)
tsjiaotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:02 AM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsjiaotai View Post
thanks
although I didn't create the sky, I only held the camera
(and busted my tripod in the process, 1 of the legs broke off..)
Bipods are hard to come by.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:40 AM   #218

Another beautiful sunset/sunrise HDR picture! Its definitely spectacular! And it sounds like its time for a better/sturdier/more expensive tripod. I heard so many tales about broken tripods, I just went for the best - figured it would save money and aggravation in the long run.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:45 AM   #219

Another one where I'm trying to decide if which of the two versions I prefer. First is the HDR version and then the middle one. The scene turned out not to have as much dynamic range as I had thought when I was there - the HDR does capture a bit that the middle one didn't, and I like the color/saturation of the HDR version, but I like the contrast of the non-HDR version. I'm curious what others think.

Here's the non-HDR picture:

I'd appreciate any feedback about which you prefer (if you have one) and why. I'm always trying to learn.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:37 AM   #220

The first (HDR) by far. The texture on the pink walls as well as the details throughout the scene are brought out nicely whereas the second pic has lost a lot of the details. The contrast isnt enough to make any difference but looks better in the first shot. From the shadow in the bottom left to the bright area in top right -- all brought out nicer with HDR. Put both shots together in Photoshop in layers then change the transparency of the top layer until you get the look you want. Sometimes the look between the HDR and the middle exposed shot looks pretty good. By the way I just love this place. I would love to spend a couple nights there. Reminds me of a place in the Sinai I was in once. Carved out sandstone, mostly cavelike with the odd opening to the sky. Unfortunately not long after I was there the whole thing disappeared in a really bad storm.

Last edited by Bynx; Dec 21, 2009 at 11:41 AM.