Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Dec 26, 2009, 7:57 AM   #231

As long as you are using Photomatix, then hand holding is ok. I dont use the auto bracketing feature of my camera but I start off deciding my fstop to give me the fastest shutter speeds. Then starting at one end or the other I take my shots using the 9 square grid that I can bring up on the viewfinder to help me keep the same area in the frame. I do 3 fstop clicks (which isnt 3 full fstops) and take a picture, 3 clicks and take a picture until I have all the exposures I need. Its seldom that 3 are enough. I prefer a tripod but I know in a pinch Photomatix will get me through it.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:39 PM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
The point of the HDR is to extend the dynamic range of the single shot. You didnt go far enough to include the windows. You need a very underexposed shot which will show only the details in the windows. When thats added to the couple of shots for the interior then you have a complete HDR. Yours is only 2/3 there.
This is the reason why I'm posting pics in this forums - reading comments like yours and then go and do it better! Thank's Bynx, I'll go to the church and re-shoot it following your advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
maggo i really like the first shot if the windows were right it would be perfect
Wow, thank you simple for your kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I agree - the darkest exposure should have exposed for the windows only. On the other hand, the first one does show what sometimes happens with PhotoMatix - the program tries to make something darker and it ends up dull/greyish. It's very noticeable (to my eyes) in your first picture, which is otherwise beautiful. I prefer the second one because of that. Your church is really beautiful, I hope you re-shoot the bracketed series as I'd love to see the windows more, along with the beautiful detail in the church.

If Photomatix continues to do weird things with the windows, you might try taking the properly exposed windows and putting them on the HDR photo above. It may or may not work (I've only rarely been able to make it work right, seems like I can never get the windows to match in right).
I'm glad you like the church, mtngal - of course I'll re-shoot it and try to get the most out of the windows

Than you too for your advices about the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Hello maggo85!

What a very nice church you have in your village! You did two honest good shots, even though the windows are burnt. This is the curse of handheld HDR's because once your first 3 automatic brackets are taken, you cannot "reload" - without moving the camera - to take another 3 shots with let's say minus 3 EV for the windows alone.

Next time, bring your tripod and you will get a perfect HDR of that church interior. Start by measuring the light through the windows and take some shots for them only, befor you shoot for the interior.

Taken into consideration that you only started HDR some three weeks ago, I think you did a decent job her. My favorite is # 2 with it's symmetric composition. Churches are symmetric by nature - I wonder why... - and it shows the church less distorted by lens-distortion.

And finally, Walter's words - thanks's a lot for your opinion, i really appriciate it! First I like to thank you for your kind words - good to read you liked my HDR's

As I wrote before, I'm going to re-shoot the church as soon as possible
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:51 PM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
If Photomatix continues to do weird things with the windows, you might try taking the properly exposed windows and putting them on the HDR photo above. It may or may not work (I've only rarely been able to make it work right, seems like I can never get the windows to match in right).
After you paste up the darker shot with the windows, and after erasing everything but the windows, you can use layers transparency to come to a very nice look to the new windows fitting into the scene below. Also when you are erasing the windows dont go 100% hardness. Use around 90 or 95 to soften the edge of the window so it fits in better.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:26 PM   #234

Bynx - I didn't think about using less than 100% to erase around the windows - that's probably why I have such trouble. The transition around the windows were black but the HDR version showed color and lighter. Your suggestion would allow me to do a better transition - thanks for the suggestion!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:27 AM   #235

Let's see now... Haven't been here for a while... I'll have to come back and comment on your photos at a later point.

Here's a quick update on what I've done the latest days.

First off is a HDR I never got to post for some reason. It's from October, if I remember correctly, hehe. I hope nobody thinks twice about commenting. Comment away!

Here's pictures from this day, actually... and Im sorry... I went out half and hour or so too late. the lightning would've been a lot better if I'd gone out a bit better time of day. Sorry again

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:34 PM   #236

Imho.

#1 and #2 gives me... nothing. Nice pictures, but a little on the dull side.

#3 on the other side is magic. Just love how the sun changes everything and changes the scene into something mystical and seductive.

#4 and #5 are good, but I have a little problem on seeing what you wish to show. If it's the moon on #5, then maybe you should try and zoom in on it more?
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:06 PM   #237

I think Alasdair said it best with Nice pictures, but a little on the dull side. None of them have a good composition or complete storyline. If you look at a photo as a story these are all incomplete. I think when taking a picture it must be complete with nothing missing. The HDR effect is excellent for all the pics. Just no wall hangers there for me.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:46 PM   #238

This is a church I was allowed to photograph extensively in the summer. Last week it was destroyed in a fire. It was built in 1865. Both shots are 2 shot panoramas, HDR.
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:01 PM   #239

Interesting comments about the forest pictures. Perhaps its just my taste in scenes, but I really like the second and third pictures. I love the delicate light in the foreground of the second one, it's a place I'd love to visit for a walk. It's also very realistic looking to me - I've seen my local woods have a similar look to them and hadn't thought to use HDR to capture it (tried regular shots and failed miserably). It makes me want to go hiking in snow that's not there at the moment. The third one is lovely, a better HDR picture (but my favorite is the second one).

Bynx, your church sure came out beautifully, and its sad to think that it is no more.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:24 AM   #240

Wow Bynx, I love your church shots, especially the AMAZING details in the windows! Did you shoot when it was dark outside or was the sun shining threw the windows? Great job
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote