Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Oct 21, 2009, 8:40 AM   #61

Are you using AEB, Bynx?
I just happen to find my old Nikon 4300. That actually have AEB, which I find pretty astounding as it is pretty old (Steve's REVIEW)
And all I gotta say... OH MY GOD! It's so much easier taking HDR shots with it.
The 4300 has these different settings for AEB:
3 shots @ +/- 0.3 , 0.7 or 1.0 between each shot
5 shots @ +/- 0.3 , 0.7 or 1.0 between each shot

Only negative is that it might be to low of a EV setting with just 1.0 being the greatest difference.
Anyhow, just wanted to run that by you. I'll make a simple HDR later, showing that the quality is still really good for a 7 year old camera.

EDIT : OK, now I'm getting lazy. The weather, I realized, is too poor to shoot HDR, so I used my study as a subject.

To the left, a Details Enhancer Tone Map with a grunge look. To the Right, a Tone Compressor Tone Map.

Flikkaarrrr

Last edited by Acapulco; Oct 21, 2009 at 9:18 AM. Reason: Adding pic.
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:32 AM   #62

I only use my camera in manual mode except for focusing. Im sure it has a few automatic features like Shutter Priority and Aperture Priority but Ive never used them. When shooting an HDR I pick my aperture based on what Im shooting and where. Doing an HDR in a gloomy church room is different than outside in bright sunshine with hard shadows. I only have 1/1000 to 4 seconds range and I prefer to stay nearer the 1/1000 so the noise is kept to a minimum. I use the fastest shutter speed I can get for the highlights and work down from there to my darkest shadows. If the range is closer to the 4 seconds then I have to open my aperture and move it up. From there its just a trade off on what you want to give up for noise to maintain a good depth of field.
I like your kitchen scene except for the focus. It has a photo realistic artwork look about it. I just wished it was all in focus.

Last edited by Bynx; Oct 21, 2009 at 9:34 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:28 PM   #63

This church-shot is exactly where HDR comes in. Very good example, Bynx! Even if you forgot to change the white-balance. A very easy mistake to make.

Good shot, good perspective - did you correct the picture for perspective afterwards?

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 3:38 PM   #64

No Walter, I never touched for perspective. As for the white balance, I had it on the wrong setting on purpose. But when I got home the whole room was too orangish yellow. Ah, live and learn. I learned not to do that. I have another church to photograph on Friday. That should go well.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:26 AM   #65

Hope so, Bynx. Really liked this one and I bet I'll like the next one too

Flikkaarrrr
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:00 PM   #66

Well the shoot went well and here are a couple of pics.
Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2009, 1:51 AM   #67

Interesting pictures of a beautiful church, Bynx. You had to battle with the difficult whitebalance between indoor-lighting and the faint outside light, filtered through glass-stained windows - not an easy task I can guess!

I noticed that this church has a most unusual lay-out. For instance the organ is right behind the altar, together with seating-places for the choire (how do you spell quire?) contrary to all churches I have seen, where the organ usually is at the opposite side of the main-altar. The seating arrangement on the ground-floor in semi-circle and also the interesting upstairs arrangement with those benches and beautiful carvings (or are they of cast iron?) all around the edges.

I'm not a church going man, but I have an eye for beauty and harmony in architechture is on of my interests.

#1 is a very nice and balanced picture.
Thank you for sharing, Bynx!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:19 AM   #68

Love churches also, Walter... Churches are where symmetry goes overboard It's everywhere.

Nice shots Bynx

Flikkaarrrr
Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:29 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acapulco View Post
Love churches also, Walter... Churches are where symmetry goes overboard It's everywhere.

Nice shots Bynx
You got that right Acapulco. Check this out. Its only a cut and paste and nothing else.
Attached Images

Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:55 AM   #70

Here are the original untouched 3 middle shots. I just noticed how degraded the images are compared to what was posted. This site sure screws up the pics. Anyone know how to fix this problem?
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Oct 24, 2009 at 3:57 AM.