Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jan 9, 2010, 7:44 PM   #21

Thanks very much! The canyon is fun to visit, and it's hard to take a bad picture there (as long as you either use a tripod or watch your shutter speeds - they are going to be slow).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:42 PM   #22

Beautiful, What a subject.

Did you try using a flash? I was just curious to know if a diffuser would have helped with the slow shutter and low light?
This place is definitely going on my list of places to visit.
Thanks.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:47 PM   #23

For anyone interested there is a dvd available called The Canyon. Its a mediocre movie with good landscape scenes of the Grand Canyon and in place of some interior shots they used Antelope Canyon. The movie came out in 09.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:53 PM   #24

I didn't try a flash. I had briefly thought about it, but I have a good tripod so wasn't worried about the slow shutter speeds. Besides, I'm not very good at flash at the best of times. And come to think of it, I probably would have had to use the flash off-camera/wirelessly since I was using a fish-eye, and I'm not sure it would have been wide enough if mounted on the hot shoe, even with a diffuser (and my diffuser is just a coffee filter, I don't have a real one). Since I was more or less alone most of the time, it would have been interesting to give it a try, something to think about next time I visit.

smac - you aren't all that far away from Page, it would make a good road trip.

Bynx - It's been a couple of years since I saw the Imax movie they have at the entrance of Zion, but it seems to me that there are some pictures of Antelope Canyon in it, too. I may have to rent The Canyon, just to see the landscape scenes.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:47 AM   #25

I finally got the movie this morning. While watching it I though some shots might be nice. As you know Mtngal, there is a north and south Antelope Canyon. I dont see any ladders here so it might be the one you didnt get into. Or it is the same and they just didnt show the ladders. Do you recognize any shots?
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:31 PM   #26

They call the two parts Upper and Lower, rather than north and south (a very minor detail). A couple of the shots could have been either, but several others show that they definitely used the upper canyon. My pictures were from the lower canyon and from what I've read, the sun never is at an angle to reach the canyon floor. The sun reaches the canyon floor in the upper canyon only in summer. That means that the third one on the top and the second one on the bottom could only have been taken there (and only in summer). I'm not sure the first one on the bottom could have been taken in the lower canyon, I remember a couple of places that it might have been possible if the sun had been at a different angle. The others could easily have been in the lower canyon, they look just like several places I remember. I have one HDR that had one of the exposures look similar to the next to last one (though the sun wasn't as intense when we were there).
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:49 AM   #27

great stuff, Mtngal... Antelope Canyon is a fabulous place, a photographer's dream. i took the extended "photographers' tour" of the upper canyon a couple of years ago, but didn't have time to see the lower canyon. a return trip is on my list, and the lower canyon is a must-see...

you're right, the canyon does beg for HDR... especially in the upper canyon, when the sunbeams penetrate to the floor, the contrast is so extreme you really almost have to use HDR, or live with terribly blown-out highlights. but the colors are phenomenal, and they really come alive with good processing.

personally, i wouldn't use a flash in the canyon. it'd just make for a bright spot, and fool the camera into thinking it had more light, so the shadows would be even darker. a long exposure and light painting might work well, though.

again, great shots. this place never ceases to amaze...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I finally got the movie this morning. While watching it I though some shots might be nice. As you know Mtngal, there is a north and south Antelope Canyon. I dont see any ladders here so it might be the one you didnt get into. Or it is the same and they just didnt show the ladders. Do you recognize any shots?
Bynx, i think these were taken at the upper canyon. the lower canyon requires climbing down into, and back up to get out of... the upper canyon is a flat walk-in, with the walls carved out of rock that rises above the desert floor. judging by the light and the rock formations, and the way the two people appear to be walking into the canyon, i'd say it's the upper one.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:43 AM   #29

Thank you very much! Your landscape shots always completely intimidate me, so I really appreciate your comment. I definitely want to go back. Like you, its a place that will never cease to amaze me either.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:00 AM   #30

amazing place and amazing pics
well done
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote