Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:44 AM   #11

Very nice. And you depart from a great original.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
This is a pseudo-HDR...the same image with 5 exposure levels in Photomatrix Pro. Tone mapped.

I like it, Walter, even though it's a wee bit over the top, for my taste. But, I'm intrigued by your pseudo'ing it. Would you care to tell us what you did? How you got 5 exposure-levels out of 1 exposure?

I'm sure, I'm not the only one wanting to learn.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 3:25 PM   #13

Using the RAW file I adjusted the photo for 5 different exposures:

+1.0
+2.0

I used Canon's own Digital Photo Professional RAW conversion software as my version of Photoshop (CS3) doesn't work with 5D Mk II files.

Saved each as a separate file.

Then I brought the 5 exposures into Photomatrix Pro (as you would any normal set of HDR files) and did the adjustments with Tone Mapping.

One of the keys is to use a RAW file, since it has so much more information than a JPG file.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 3:46 PM   #14

Default Aha! RAW - I forgot all about it.

Thank you so much for your explanation, Walter!

I see now that shooting in RAW really pays off. Personally I have this kind of strange notion or vague (mis)conception that I am still not ready for RAW yet (I find it a bit intimidating) and that RAW-files are for the 'big-guys' only - not for me.....

So I keep on shooting JPeg's and tell myself that one day, I will also shoot in RAW.

..Thanks again!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:12 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Thank you so much for your explanation, Walter!

I see now that shooting in RAW really pays off. Personally I have this kind of strange notion or vague (mis)conception that I am still not ready for RAW yet (I find it a bit intimidating) and that RAW-files are for the 'big-guys' only - not for me.....

So I keep on shooting JPeg's and tell myself that one day, I will also shoot in RAW.

..Thanks again!
i think the key here is "misconception". don't sell yourself short, and start shooting some raw. you can always shoot RAW+JPEG and have both.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2010, 9:39 PM   #16

Especially the reflections on the beach that turn the lamplights into torches and complementing the also burning sky the colors are so vivid I love this beautiful shot.

Thanks also for you explanation of RAW. I set my camera to RAW+JPEG on at least two trips but wasn't really impressed by how DPHDR processed the RAW images. I didn't know I had to do some "pre-processing" to prepare the RAW files.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 3, 2010 at 9:43 PM. Reason: Added comment on RAW files.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:42 AM   #17

The HDR came out great but the orginal is a really good too. Guess it is just a matter of the room you were to hang each one.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:28 PM   #18

Aside from the HDR aspect, this is an excellent picture. It would serve very well as an example of what to do right, in anyone's book. Best compliment I can give: "I wish I had taken that picture."

As to the HDR aspect: I think you made too much work for yourself, the way you did it. I tried running the jpeg original thru a couple different programs, and came up with very similar results, with just one or two steps. I don't make a habit of posting others' photos, though, without permission. If you are interested, I can show the results.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:03 AM   #19

Brian
Thanks for following the rules and asking permission. Yes, I'd be happy to see your results.

I've also had good results working with a JPG file, but I like the extra detail in RAW.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:59 AM   #20

The better one of these, IMO, is from Photoimpact. There is a preset camera profile in the HDR portion for the Canon D60, which I used. Seems to do pretty well. This is basically a one step operation, with some parameters which can be changed within the step.

brian
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote