Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
...Very inviting.
Thanks gjtoth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
...i think you could easily fix that color cast in photoshop if you wanted.
I'm really not bothered by the red color cast, as it's not a shot I'd normally put out for critiques. But thanks' for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
...A pic like this couldnt be made without HDR...
Thank you very much for your kind words, Bynx! I had hoped it would warm somebody's heart! The whole idea behind this picture was to draw attention to HDR and its possibilities. Also that a HDR-picture does not have to appear HDR immediately - only on second or third sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
- This picture shows just how natural HDR can really be - it's very effective in conveying a mood.

- I love the heavy wet snow (wish we had some).
- Agree totally, mtngal - HDR is perfect for this. I have become a real HDR-buff, looking for HDR-motives all the time. I'm also experimenting with motives that not neccesarily lend themselfes naturally to this kind of treatment, like very dark and generally low-key landscapes with little detail.

The reason I do this is out of needs, becaus during the winter in our latitudes there are only about 5-6 hours of what you would call "daylight", and the little we have is usually dim and very low on the horizon. Surprisingly I find that even there DPHDR does a splendid job. Shots where Photomatix wouldn't be able to show anything but grain / noise, come out quite well. DPHDR also gives me the possibility to compile photos that do not carry all the tell-tale sign of HDR. I like mine to be on the subtle and natural looking side.

DPHDR is also much more consistens(t)ly (having trouble with spelling here...!!) in its output than Photomatix ever was. In Photomatix you never know what you get (sounds like Forrest Gump...) depending on exposures. Under- og over-exposures can sometimes twist the outcome into strange and completely different directions. DPHDR is much more predictable.

- about the snow. You can come and help yourself to snow anytime you want to. My frontyard is full of that messy, cold and nasty stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
...the first image is just great
Thanks a lot for the edit, Simon! Hows are things in Britain. I heard there is a lot of snow and cold there too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Walter..that was very pleasing to the eye........If I could do that.....it will be worth the effort soo far...lol
Thanks for your kind comments, littlejohn - you'll be as fine also. Just download one of the 30-days free softwares and start playing around...

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 7, 2010 at 7:32 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
Noticed the "wall-hangers" through your windows. I'm assuming that they are of your own photographs...
Thank you for your kind words, Walter C!

No, these "wallhangers" are in fact real paintings (oil) from my artistic-periode when I seriousely wanted to becom an artist.....

Many, many moons ago ( befor PC became known to everybody), all my energy was used to draw (pencil, charcoal, etc...) and paint (mostly oil, but also some water-color or aquarell as its really called). Now that I have discovered digital photograhpy, I try to "paint" with my camera and with tweeked pixels....

Another funny thing is, when you look closely in the top window, right. There in the lower left corner you can see my dog watching my every step I make. This is his domaine, the "outlook-window" where he has his own blanket and sees to that all is in order! The slightest change or movement of strangers on the road down below gets barked at...

Attached Images

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 7, 2010 at 7:33 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:11 AM   #13

Very nice capture, crop, and edit! Your house may have a "cold" exterior, but it's all warmth inside.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:15 AM   #14

walter things are ok ... just some places people get a bit of snow and they think the world is going to end
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Thanks gjtoth!

I'm really not bothered by the red color cast, as it's not a shot I'd normally put out for critiques. But thanks' for your comments.

my opinion is that the red adds to it....and what it adds can be described in many ways..
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Another funny thing is, when you look closely in the top window, right. There in the lower left corner you can see my dog watching my every step I make. This is his domaine, the "outlook-window" where he has his own blanket and sees to that all is in order! The slightest change or movement of strangers on the road down below gets barked at...

Hahaha...That;s a story in itself..............my dog is like that too...no deer nor cat can get thru the pasture undetected
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 4:34 AM   #17

Walter, nice to see your house here - I was wondering if you live in one of that red buildings yourself, now I have the answer

With HDR, you really enhanced the power of the pic - I love the warm feeling coming from the windows besides that really cold, snowy envirnment you have in Norway... wish we had that much snow here in Austria

Nicely done, Walter - I always like your shots!
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Your house may have a "cold" exterior, but it's all warmth inside.
Thank you, vvcarpio!
We have a cold spell, now for the third week, with average temperatures down to -18C (which is around 0,4F) and I have to put big firewood-logs into my stove every day to keep warm!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
...I was wondering if you live in one of that red buildings yourself, now I have the answer.
... wish we had that much snow here in Austria...
Sorry to disappoint you for not living in one of those red-houses, maggo85! (joke!)

Thank you for your kind comments. I am not so fond of the snow and the cold (down to - 15 to 18 every day, now for 3 weeks solid!) and I am longing for summer, more than anything else right now.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:17 PM   #20

Not sure whether I feel sorry for you or not. Went higher up the mountain yesterday looking for snow and found myself snowshoeing in 50 F weather. Seemed bizarre to be on snowshoes with a relatively light jacket on and being hot. I'd rather it be just below freezing when I'm out in the snow.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote