Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:07 PM   #1

Default Night-shots in HDR - DPHDR:

Night-shots is another field where HDR can or may give you some extra depth and details, compared what you would be able to show in one single exposure.

I have tried hundreds of night-HDR's and failed with most of them, because I was using Photomatix, which has a tendency to add grain or noise to underexposed shots - which night-shots naturally are, and turn white areas into grey! I must say that DPHDR does a much better job her. I have tried to render HDR's out of grossly underexposed shots, and DPHRD pulls it together! Amazing.

3 example of DPHDR's wonderful ability to make smooth and dynamic nigh-scenes:

# 1

# 2

And, before any of you say: "You should have included the whole bridge-tower in #1 and #3 - It was just not possible, physically, without backing up a lot. My wide-angle on the kit-lens is just not wide enough.

The inevitable middle-exposer of the first 5-exposure HDR:
Attached Images

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 13, 2010 at 5:14 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:28 PM   #2

Nice job Walter. You have really captured that sweet hour. The subject or composition isnt that interesting to me, but you have really done it well. Beautiful sky.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:49 PM   #3

I really enjoy photos of cable stay bridges and suspension bridges. The are very elegant.

Love the sunset off to the side.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:55 PM   #4

Walter, you've made a strong case for DPHDR. Nicely done.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:34 PM   #5

These are very nice, I'm another who finds suspension bridges interesting, especially at this time of night. Having tried several sunrise pictures with Photomatix and giving up because of the grain, I'm really impressed!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:51 PM   #6

I love bridges and HDR......thanks for these...and the advice on software...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:08 PM   #7
Super Moderator

these came out really smooth. i am impressed.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:13 AM   #8

Nice pics Walter - the results are really good-looking, especially the sky!

I tried to do many nightshot-HDR's with Photomatix as well, but they all came out REALLY grainy, just as you mentioned before - but after seeing these, I think I'm gonna play around with DPHDR

P.S.: Can you tell me (and the others) in wich mode you've done these HDR's (Ultra-Contrast, Eye-Catching,...)? Thank's a lot!
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
...Can you tell me (and the others) in wich mode you've done these HDR's (Ultra-Contrast, Eye-Catching,...)?...

As I wrote in the other HDR-thread: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hd...e-mapping.html ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
(1) - My usual tone-mapping type, if the subject does not contain too many colors, is called: 'Eye Catching'. If there are many strong colors in the set, EyeCatching will exaggerate them to look over-processed and un-natural, in which case I go with the 'Smooth Compression' tone-mapping instead, resulting in a less colorful and more natural looking image.

(2) - For myself, I would never use the last two Ultra Contrast-examples, I usually 'play it safe' and use EyeCatching, but I must admit that the UC-versions gave very good increased contrast that could just liven up an otherwise dull picture.....

...I never use Ultra Contrast as it changes the mood of the pictures very much, sometimes beyond recognition. I don't like that. I usually stick to the more 'conservative' tone-mapping functions, such as 'Eye Catching' (but I alway turn down 'Vivid Colors' to zero and also decrease 'Color Saturations' down to at least 70%) and 'Smooth Compressor' if elements in the picture contain strong colors.

I seldom use the function 'Halo Matix' as it has a tendency to introduce Halo's around dark objects with a brighter sky behind, like trees and buildings. IMO halo's are the worst 'tell-tales' of HRD.

I am saying that now, after about 6 month of experimenting with HDR and having come to my senses, but when I first started out, I did go "all bananas" and delivered some grusome extreme renderings that make me shiver with disbelive when I see them today.

But everybody has to find its own level of comfort with HDR-expressions, be it 'extreme' or 'natural' and who is to to say "this is right and this is wrong'? There are no rules.

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:19 PM   #10

Well done.
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote