Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:03 AM   #1

Default DPHDR's Halo-Matix on NYC Street

I wanted to see if I can duplicate Photomatix's "Grunge" tone map using Dynamic Photo HDR because I think "Grunge" is its biggest draw (at least to me). I think DPHDR's "Halo-Matix" tone map comes closest. All 3 images were sharpened using PSE.

#1. Photomatix's "Grunge" tone map using default values.

#2. DPHDR's "Halo-Matix" tone map with Saturation = 0 and Halo = 0.

#3. Middle exposure of 3-bracket shot.

Anyway I just wanted to show the results of my experiment which is, DPHDR does not limit you to real-looking images -- you can also create unrealistic (noveau?) images if you want that capability (which you can then "photoshop" to deviate further from reality). Also please keep in mind that this is just one type of image using one type of tone map and so is hardly enough for making a decision between the two. I'm no expert in either but I hope you find this helpful.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 17, 2010 at 6:44 AM. Reason: Removed watermark on #1.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:19 AM   #2

I like the building texture of the first shot and the balance of the image in the 3rd shot. Why the watermark in your Photomatix version?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:01 AM   #3

Thanks, Bynx. I was using a second PC (laptop) this morning. I'll run it again without the watermark but it would be sometime late in the day (more likely night). My wife and I are going out for another "photo-trip". NYC has beautiful weather today -- all sun and 40s.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:40 PM   #4

Default Grunge?

Ha-Ha!

I am at loss here. Please advise on what "Grunge" means. If picture # 1 is "Grunge" then the whole thing sound negative to me. To be honest, vvcarpio, both of the HDR's look terrible. # 2 maybe worst because it is all flat.

# 3 is the overall winner on all accounts, except the sky is blown. But still, it is a better sky than in # 1.....

I am not helping here, am I....?
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Ha-Ha!

I am at loss here. Please advise on what "Grunge" means. If picture # 1 is "Grunge" then the whole thing sound negative to me. To be honest, vvcarpio, both of the HDR's look terrible. # 2 maybe worst because it is all flat.

# 3 is the overall winner on all accounts, except the sky is blown. But still, it is a better sky than in # 1.....

I am not helping here, am I....?

Hi, Walter.

Like Dynamic Photo HDR’s (DPHDR) set of Tone Maps -- "Eye-Catching", "Ultra-Contrast", "Halo-Matix", etc. -- Photomatix has its "Presets", too -- "Natural", "Smooth Skies", "Painterly", and "Grunge".

When I first downloaded Photomatix a few months ago (seems like it's been years), I wasn't impressed at all and was actually disappointed for a couple of days because it didn't produce the output some people here at steves-digicams.com were posting at the time. Then I found out about the "presets" at the bottom of the Photomatix screen and when I clicked on "Grunge" my eyeballs popped out I was hyperventilating. I couldn’t believe my picture and any other gutter-worthy pictures I threw at it turned into instant masterpiece works of art! That’s when I decided I gotta have HDR.

After reading some more about HDR, though, I learned there were other brands and got the impression that DPHDR came second. So I tried it. In the end, I have to admit, it was the price that made me decide on DPHDR -- it cost nearly half as much. Although I slabbered at Photomatix’s "grunge", I felt it was more of a "niche" application and so would have limited uses. What was more important to me after I finally overcame my initial excitement and became levelheaded again (I think), was the simple enhancements for the photos I take.

And I wasn’t disappointed. DPHDR can do more than "simple" enhancements. Sure I overdo my colors sometimes but with DPHDR I think I can achieve real-looking pictures whenever I want that none of my friends with their cameras can. I am constantly getting praises from them who keep saying they want to see more.

I am grateful for the expert C&C I get here at steves-digicams.com -- they help me improve my craft all the time -- and would continue to seek them. But in the end, it's the jolt and satisfaction I get when friends (and now, friends here, too) express their appreciation that I (and my wife) continue to be hooked on photography. To a craftsperson, appreciation -- whether from the mainstream or not -- may be the truest form of addiction.

Later you said you can tell if an HDR-edit was done in Photomatix. I think I can, too. (In fairness, I think I can also now tell or at least guess if it was done in DPHDR.) To my eyes -- and I suspect your eyes, too -- they all show a hint of "grunge".

Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:18 AM   #6

Question Thanks for your answer, vvcarpio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
-- Photomatix has its "Presets", too -- "Natural", "Smooth Skies", "Painterly", and "Grunge"....

Now I get it - and don't (!!) at the same time - You must have something I do not have. In my version 3.1.3 there are no Presets at all. All I can choose there is "default" and "previous". The latter being with the same settings as the last mapping done before (earlier in time).

I can however save my own settings as 'Presets' (and do so often, specially if I start a large batch of shots taken under the same circumstances) and I can recall ore load settings I have previously saved.

So, now I know, what you are talking about - but I still don't know exactly what they really mean by "Grunge". Is that #1 you have there, done in Grunge-preset, and ist it that look you what you want to duplicate in DPHDR?

Even with that aweful sky (all muddy, gray and blotchy?)

...?
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote