Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:42 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
...I know that one of Photomatix's strenght is its automatic aligning-function - which is great!!
We're starting to see cameras doing that kind of thing now, too (combining multiple images in camera and automatically aligning them).

The Fuji S200EXR is one example of a camera that can take bracket images for Higher Dynamic Range and combine them in camera, aligning them for you.

The new Sony A500 and A550 dSLR models have a similar feature (able to take more than one photo exposed differently and combine them in camera, automatically aligning them to account for minor framing differences).

So, I expect we'll see more and more cameras able to do that kind of thing as time passes.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:56 PM   #12

Yes, Jim - I realize that.

And I am really glad for this trend as it confirms my belief that HDR is here to stay!!

In fact we just had a small, but not yet finnished discussion in; http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hd...r-setting.html where Caryl shows us 2 In-camera HDR's made with her Leica DLux4.

In her case I suspect the in-camera tone-mapping is done as a 'Pseudo-HDR'-mapping taken from one single shot, rather as we know, of several shots put together into 1 HDR-output. I base this assuption on the fact that there are no ghosting-artifacts visible in moving objects, like flag, cars, walking people, boats out in the bay, etc.

Any idea about that? (and maybe this should be further discussed in it's proper thread, and not here...)

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 18, 2010 at 2:59 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:03 PM   #13
Administrator

It's probably using something similar to the engines used by Nikon and Sony for their Adaptive D-Lighting and Dynamic Range Optimization features. If you read through some of the past press releases, you'll notice announcements about both of them using technology from Apical when they first announced models those features (although you don't see that mentioned very often). Here's one of the engines they offer:

http://www.apical-imaging.com/iridix

Here's another:

http://www.apical-imaging.com/MemTrue
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Oops.. You're running on a Mac Mini, right? With a Mac, you have to install QT4 for OS X, too (you'll see a link to it in the Mac download section).
The only program I could find was Qt, didn't see any other program...

(I have a Mac Graphite, not a mini)

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:12 PM   #15
Administrator

The links to both are in their download page. Look for the highlighted portions in the Mac section (those are links to the two different downloads you need).

Here's the program link, where it says ("here" Intel only) next to the version number):

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/qtp...sgui.1.9.3.dmg

Here's the link to QT4:

ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt...urce-4.5.1.dmg

Quote:
Mac OS X
Bleeding edge (1.9.3) here (Intel only)

The Mac OS X version requires, as with the other platforms, Qt4. If you don't have it the program will not launch, so you need to download Qt4 for Mac OS X, which you can get here.
For further instructions read Mandus' blog.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:15 PM   #16
Administrator

I just looked up the Mac Graphite, and I guess it's probably not Intel, right? If not, then that program won't work on it (it's for Intel based machines only).