Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:11 PM   #1

Default Some sunrises

A couple of HDR sunrises:

These two I took in early Dec. This first one I did using tone mapping in Photomatix, instead of details enhancer (which is what I usually use). The pictures used were hand-held and I let Photomatix automatically align them before doing the HDR. I didn't like how the details enhancer handled this series, but did like this one:

Another series taken at the same time. This one was done using details enhancer, extra contrast added in Lightroom, then run through Topaz Lab's denoise before resizing and a bit of USM. The series was again hand-held. Even though this isn't quite what I had envisioned when I took the series, I rather liked this version.

Finally, this last sunrise picture was taken Friday morning, in a totally different location. Of all the pictures I played with this weekend, this is my favorite. These were taken using a tripod and it shows.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:55 PM   #2

Easy to see why you like the last one. I do too. Great clarity and colors.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:11 AM   #3

The last one is my favorite, the color of the first 2 are to abstract for me. Looks like something with a color polarizer filter.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:15 AM   #4
Super Moderator

the first two look quite a bit too magenta for me, making it lose some believability.

but the last shot looks really really nice. i love the sky, and i love the golden windows. furthermore this shot looks eerily 3-dimensional for me. nice one. i was going to refrain, but i must nitpick a little, the lights in the foreground distract me a little.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:54 AM   #5

The color really was strange to begin with, and the rocks really reflected it. I did some adjustments and probably this one is more realistic (I think I need to re-calibrate my laptop's monitor, it didn't look so bad when I did it originally). Is this any better?

I wondered about the lights, leaving them in, cloning them out or cropping the picture more. The original had more of the street, but the HDR process did weird things with the already ghosted cars, so I cropped most of them out since the subject was the building. But I like the crop now, I think I'll clone out the street lights and see what it looks like.

I thought that I had taken this picture with a lens that does sometimes give you a 3-dimensional effect, but I didn't use it for this one. Guess its due to the color and the HDR process.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 1:10 AM   #6

This one looks better, it is more believable less abstract.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:49 AM   #7

I liked the last one too....

It always kinda neat to get up at that time in the morning and see the hustle and bustle of city life..beginning a new day..

I live in the country..and only see this stuff from a hotel room once in a while..
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:50 AM   #8

I just clicked Auto Color on your first pic to see what Photoshop thought about your colors. This is what it came up with. While your version may be more accurate, I think mine is more realistic.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:32 AM   #9

That city-sunrise (# 3) is a very good HDR - I like it, and its mood! I would crop just below the top-light, where that wooden pole ends, and 'clone-stamp' the bright light with some of the green bushes in the background. I think it could work.

The other two others (mountain-landscape) dont appeal so much, because of some 'strange' and artificial looking colors. I'm not saying it wasn't like that, it just looks artificial. And I still don't know why the word 'Fujichrome' comes to my mind, when looking at them...

Thanks for sharing!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:28 AM   #10

I kind of like the pink tone
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote