Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:59 AM   #1

Default psuedo HDR in jpeg?

Hi everyone,
I am just getting into photography, and i got my first camera about a week ago (canon powershot SX20 IS). I am playing around with different types of photography to see which i really like. Last week, i started with macro. Now i am testing HDR.

My question regarding HDR photos is 'can i create a pseudo hdr image using jpeg using the photomatix software?' I have not yet found a way to do so. The reason i ask is because my canon shoots at 1 fps which is the fastest rate on this camera. (thats really slow), and if i want to take pictures of waves, or fall foliage, or a car, I want to be able to take just one pic, and then edit that like an hdr with tone mapping.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Eric
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:47 AM   #2

you need to shoot in raw to do a psuedo in photomatix however you can do a one shot jpeg in dynamic photo hdr hope this helps

http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/index.html

one shot jpeg with dynamic hdr

Last edited by simple; Jan 24, 2010 at 2:57 AM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:17 AM   #3

You can turn any jpeg into a 32 bit file in Photoshop and open it in Photomatix. Not sure if the results are what you are after.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:06 AM   #4

darn. I have been trying to decide to buy either photomatix and DPHDR. I have been using the free trials of both. I like photomatix better, but my camera cant take pictures in RAW. (stupid, right?).
Photomatix is easier to use, and has more functions, but DPHDR is like half as pricey.

hmmm.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? Or can direct me to a thread that does?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
....Does anyone have any opinions on this? Or can direct me to a thread that does?

Maybe start reading the HDR-Forum (this one here)? There are lots of threads discussing the pros and cons of Photomatix / DP-HDR...
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
darn. I have been trying to decide to buy either photomatix and DPHDR. I have been using the free trials of both. I like photomatix better, but my camera cant take pictures in RAW. (stupid, right?).
Photomatix is easier to use, and has more functions, but DPHDR is like half as pricey.
My camera doesnt shoot in RAW either. Just convert your jpeg file to 32 bit and git it a shot in Photomatix.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 1:04 PM   #7

personally i think i would be tempted to purchase dynamic for the price but if you look around there are some discounts available for photomatix that may help a little and i will say photomatix is the best for alligning the images up in my opinion

get the code here and be prepared to be blown away with the examples LOL http://www.stuckincustoms.com/photomatix-review/

***************Moderator Note****************

I got a report asking us to check for malware at that link because it locked up a member's browser (IE8). It appears to be clean (no malicious code detected when using tools to check it). Here's a summary report:

http://wepawet.iseclab.org/domain.ph...f23431&type=js

If you submit a url to Wepawet for analysis, you'll see more detailed report (and you can do that kind of thing yourself without opening the link if you simply copy the link location and paste it into the url box).

Chances are, the flash content on the page was the culprit locking up IE8 (tabs to the site owner's twitter page, flash content at bottom with advertising and links to match.com, etc.). But, no malicious content was identified.

If you suspect malware in a download (versus malicious content on a web page), here's a great site for checking it (just make sure you don't open a suspect program before submitting it for a scan).

http://www.virustotal.com

JimC
**************End Moderator Note**************
Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I am just getting into photography, and i got my first camera about a week ago (canon powershot SX20 IS). I am playing around with different types of photography to see which i really like. Last week, i started with macro. Now i am testing HDR.
If you read the posts already made, you are getting the best advice available on what will, or will not work, in terms of HDR.

But since you are just getting into photography My Advice is that you First learn the basics of photography; which is to say, learn how to capture highlights and shadow without using HDR techniques.

HDR is a very useful tool, and don't take this as a critique of HDR - But rather that photography is a craft and before you can get the most out of HDR, you should learn the basic aspects of photography.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:57 PM   #9

Some very wise word here from brother Chato!

One should not mistake HDR for a quick and easy way to instant sucess in photography. It's not.

One gets easily blinded by posh colors and strange contrast of HDR, but without a "message" in the picture, something to say, to tell, to describe (a mood f. inst.), it will only be an illustration without content.

A picture doesn't automatically become "good" or "better", just because it is a HDR. But if HDR keeps you interested in Photography, its worth a try...

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:13 PM   #10

thanks for the advice everyone. I looked through a lot of different forums, and i was gravitated towards this one. Everyone is so nice.

And thank you for that little photomatix coupon too!

I think i'm gonna go with photomatix.

-Eric