Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:05 PM   #1

Default A town near by

I don't have as much time as before to run around taking pictures and contributing to this forum, but I do try and to do a little of both from time to time.

Well enough of that. I was out running around a neighbouring town (Halden) and took a few shots with my newly acquired Tokina 11-16 wide lense, and what a lense it is. Gives a totally new demention to ones shots. Here are three that I've had time to work with.

C&C are welcome.

The street is called skippergata (translates skipper street)

Sorry about the silo's, I asked them if they could please remove them for the shot, but they were not very forthcoming.

Bynx asked about boats that get frozen in in another thread, well this is a typical example of what can happen to wooden boats that get frozen in.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:39 PM   #2

I like the second two pictures better than the first one. Just my taste, probably, but I find the halos in the first one distracting and I just like my HDR pictures to look more natural, like the second two. The first one doesn't look real to me, and that's not what I prefer.

The second one I really like, it shows off the wide angle's dof very nicely and the cold color of the snow contrasts nicely with the sunset (sunrise?). There's a bit of CA visible - their 12-24 has some, too. But it's manageable as I would assume it would be with this lens, too. It looks like you are going to have a great time with the new lens - definitely a keeper.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the tour Al. Another nice Norwegian town. Your colors are a bit vibrant. The red in that DONT BE BLUE sign is just throbbing. Really like the anchor shot. That would be a fun one to play with. That poor boat.....ouch. What was the owner thinking? And why does he just leave it there? Oh well, thanks again.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:50 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i really like the anchor shot. the super-wide perspective gives prominence to the foreground anchor.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:50 PM   #5

i wonder if you would have moved more to the right on the anchor maybe lined it up with the gap in between the two cliff/hills ? maybe or not? that lens is sweet
Old Jan 26, 2010, 4:46 PM   #6

definetely "cool" shots...

I've been meaning to practice outside in the snow, but i hate cold .haha.
L]
------------------------------------------------
xJoey Dubsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:47 PM   #7

#2 is the best IMO. #1 has too much lens distortion. If it were straitened, it would be nice. Thanks for sharing these.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:54 AM   #8

Nice series, Al - all three shots are beautiful, but #2 and #3 are my favourites.

#1: I think this one is a bit "to much", a bit oversaturated for my taste. Maybe if the lens distortion would be straightened and you turn the saturation a bit down, it would be better

#2: This one is definetely a keeper - the anchor is perfectly placed, also the boats on the left side. I think this shot came out just right, really natural looking - I like the sky a lot!

#3: Again a wee bit over the top for me - but it's a beautiful shot with the frozen boat and everything! I like it

You see, natural looking HDR's are my cup of tea

BTW, I'm sure Walter really envy you because of your great Tokina, don't he?

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:49 AM   #9

Thanks for all the comments. And I can see that I've probably "over worked #1" trying to make it more vigorous and in the process overdone it. Most of the time I like to try and get my HDR as natural looking as possible, but from time to time I like to try and give them a little twist. And when I do, I'm glad that I can post them here and get feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
... Just my taste, probably, but I find the halos in the first one distracting and I just like my HDR pictures to look more natural,...
Now that you say it I hadn't noticed the halo's. Guess I worked myself blind on this one. Thank you for pointing it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
#2 ... #1 has too much lens distortion. If it were straitened, it would be nice...
This was an effect/ twist that I looked at for a while before deciding that it might just make the picture special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
...#3: Again a wee bit over the top for me - but it's a beautiful shot with the frozen boat and everything! I like it
I'm not sure if this is what Bynx ment with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
...The red in that DONT BE BLUE sign is just throbbing...
, but the lighting that day was a wee bit tricky, making the tweaking of the picture quite challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
...BTW, I'm sure Walter really envy you because of your great Tokina, don't he?
I think that Wally should answer this, if he wants.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote