Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:50 PM   #1

Default Mmmm, candy.

I was asked today by a shop owner to photograph the interior of his candy store. Lots of delicious looking chocolate, covered strawberries, candy apples, etc. Here's one shot in HDR.
Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2010, 6:52 PM   #2

And, here's the middle shot of 5 taken. Processed in Photomatrix Pro. I had to remove the lens distortion as I was using a 16-35 lens on a FF camera. As you can see, it was a challenging shot because of the severe backlighting. HDR saved the day!
Attached Images

Last edited by Walter C; Jan 26, 2010 at 6:54 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:11 PM   #3
Super Moderator

the hdr works well in this kind of shot. an interesting use of the processing. i like it.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:59 PM   #4

MMMMM those look so yummy great shots!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:20 PM   #5

Im always blown away when I see the "middle" shot. The first shot looks just like a really well exposed photo until you see the difference. Good one Walter.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:36 PM   #6

You are not doing me any favors - that display is making my mouth water, just thinking about dessert. My waist does not thank you at all. Love the shot, by the way. The processing is just right for this shot.

I do have a question for others, but some explanation first. This picture was very effective for me - my eye went first and completely to the display, I didn't even notice what was out the window. After I saw the middle exposure, I went back to the first one and then looked at the window, not before. Then it occurred to me that some might find the scene out the window a distraction and therefore not something you would want. That's my brain talking, not my emotions. My emotions say don't change a thing, but I did wonder what others think about it, and what those that know more than I do about composition think.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:47 PM   #7
Super Moderator

mtngal,

its actually not a distraction for me in this scene. and i can't quite place my finger on why i think it works. but i think its because it gives the scene some context, like i know i am looking at a corner display of a corner bakery. and the layout is interesting enough that the background doesn't pull me away easily. just some thoughts. my only distraction in this scene is the left corner being cut off, but the right intact. but then again its a minor nitpick. as i really like this image.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:50 PM   #8

By way of explanation, I was backed up against a railing and had my tripod at maximum height for this shot. Even with a 16mm lens I couldn't get the full table display. The only solution would have been to have a stool so I could shoot more in a downward direction. At the same time, the view outside the window provides some context for the shop's display.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:53 PM   #9

Here's the rest of the interior, from the customer's viewpoint. The railing at the foreground was what I was backed up against for the 1st shot.
Attached Images

Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:55 PM   #10

And, the middle shot (of 5). The HDR version, to me, adds an appealing richness to the scene that the single shot lacks. What do you think?
Attached Images