Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:55 PM   #11

Thank you, Walter, for your very kind words .

I was about to reply to this thread but Walter beat me . In any case, I pasted below an image from DPHDR's website showing what Walter just explained:

What the picture above doesn't show is the "blur" button which when clicked feathers the edges of the red paint. Because sometimes, especially when the background is very bright like the sky, the final HDR image shows a sharp-edged "outline" around the subject where the red paint was. Below is an example.

In the example below, I painted the father and child climbing up the hill. But I didn't click the "blur" button so a bright, sharp-edged outline appears around the them. I also didn't paint over the child sledding downhill to their right so you can see 3 "ghost" images of the child.

In the next example below, I painted the child sledding downhill as well as the father and child. I then clicked the "blur" button which feathered the edges of the red paint on the subjects. The result is more like a halo which is a lot less noticeable than the outline above.

I use DPHDR's anti-ghosting tool extensively especially since I shoot scenes in NYC with all the constant activity.

However, I, too, don't know which of the three (or more) bracketed images DPHDR will eventually pick from to show anti-ghost-painted objects. In my case, I simply drag-and-drop the three bracketed images onto DPHDR, paint over moving objects, then hope for the best. So far, I have been lucky because the ones I want always end up on the final HDR-edited image. If not, then I simply reload by dragging and dropping again.

I suspect the order of loading images onto DPHDR might give you better control but I haven't tried it. The manual also doesn't reveal how DPHDR decides which image file to pick anti-ghost-painted images from.

I hope this helps.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 9:18 PM   #12

Not being a user of DPHDR I wasnt aware of being able to select which of the moving object(s) you could choose to have visible as well as that blur button which is pretty handy. The reason RAW came up was because it seemed to me, to be the best way to do an HDR of moving objects which was the OP question. Whether its pseudo or real the final image will be better than any single shot and thats the point isnt it.....to produce a good photo.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
-...However, I, too, don't know which of the three (or more) bracketed images DPHDR will eventually pick from to show anti-ghost-painted objects....
-...I suspect the order of loading images onto DPHDR might give you better control but I haven't tried it...
Thanks, vvcarpio - seem that we are doing things in about the same sequens then...

My suspicion about which of the tree exposure stands and which are obscured is .

I think it's always the middle-exposure, or the Median (0 EV) -file, as DPHDR calls it - based on the small square "Manual Alighn"-box on the right side of the pre-view page - which is the underlying exposure onto which every second, third, or the rest of the exposure gets aligned to.

If you look at the window it always sais that it is aligning A + B (first line) then A + C (second line), etc.

The same order is affected when you "Anti Ghost Mark" the moving parts. You will never be able to paint the Median (0 EV)-file, just the others (B and C (...and so on)).

I dont think the order in which you load has any influence, as DPHDR decides which one of the loaded exposures is the Median-file. You may leave it all up to DPHDR to decide which is the Median-file ("Guess EV"), or you, yourself can manually change that order in this here uploaded window (Selected Image).

Does this sound reasonable?
Attached Images

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
I dont think the order in which you load has any influence, as DPHDR decides which one of the loaded exposures is the Median-file. You may leave it all up to DPHDR to decide which is the Median-file ("Guess EV"), or you, yourself can manually change that order in this here uploaded window (Selected Image).

Does this sound reasonable?
Walter, I did some tests to test your suspicion. Following are details of my tests.

I have the following three original images, taken in the order as shown. The ev values are what my camera's (Sony A350) auto-bracketing feature set when I took them.

Originals:
#1: ev=+0.0

#2: ev=-0.7

#3. ev=+0.7

What I wanted to achieve was to make the man near center -- the one in blue jacket talking in his cellphone in image #'s 2 & 3 -- to disappear. This means that I want the final HDR image to use #1 and neither #2 nor #3 for ghosted objects.

(My main subject in the composition is the girl on the right -- I thought a sharp image of the man near the center would unnecessarily attract viewer-attention.)

In the three tests that follow, the first acted as my "control" because I made no change in the way the images were loaded into DPHDR (my suspicion) and I did not shift ev values around (Walter's suspicion). In the second and third tests, I made changes.

Below are the results.

Test A: Control
Correct order (#1, #2, #3), correct ev values (+0, -0.7, +0.7).

Result: DPHDR used image#1 (loaded first, ev=0) for ghosted image -- the man disappeared.

Test B: Walter's suspicion
Correct order (#1, #2, #3) but manually shifted ev values -- #2 (with sharp image of man) is now ev=0 (while I shifted #1's ev to +0.7 and #3's ev to +1.40).

Result: DPHDR used image #2 (ev=0) for ghosted objects -- the man appeared.

Test C: My suspicion
Different order so that #2 (with sharp image of man) is loaded first (followed by #3 then #1) and ev values are correct (-0.70, +0.70, +0).

Result: DPHDR used image #1 with ev value = 0 even though it was the last image loaded -- the man disappeared.

Conclusion
My tests indicate that (drum roll please...), Walter, you are right! Nice detective work! You may claim your prize.

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:26 AM   #15

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Conclusion: You may claim your prize.

Thank you very much, vvcarpio - so much work to proof a point! But I really appreciate your first class detective work (You are the real detective here - I only had a theoretical 'hunch'!), because it helps us to understand DPHDR better.

...and the beer was good, even though it was not from my locale brewery but one from "DAHLS", a well known Trondheim-brewery!

Thank you very much!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote