Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
The thing about B&W is it becomes timeless. Is it a recent pic or was it taken 80 years ago? In this case the subject really fits into the timeless category nicely. It seems to have more detail in the snow than the color version. Nicely done Maggo.
Thank's for your nice words Bynx! It's a honor for me to read such words from a 5000-post-man

I played around with a few more barn shots I took when I went home from shooting my mountain-panorama... I found a different way to go down from this vanishing point - down a large meadow with many barns

All these pictures are B&W-pseudo-HDR's done with a single JPEG in DPHDR:

Name:  IMG_1027_bw_small.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  251.3 KB

#1 - three barns in a row

Name:  IMG_1030_bw_small.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  239.3 KB

#2 - same object, different angle

Name:  IMG_1034_bw_small.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  242.8 KB

#3 - and another one, here I added some grain and contrast in PSE to give it a different look

Name:  IMG_1040_bw_small.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  163.4 KB

#4 - the last one + grain

I hope you liked my little "barn tour" - I think these old hats are a great subject for a B&W.... C&C again very welcome

BTW: This was post #300 - I'm on my way

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 3:28 PM   #12
Super Moderator

i really love the contrast in this last set. gorgeous mono images.

the contrast is particularly exquisite in #1, so much detail throughout, very interesting image. and i love the perspective of #2.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 3:59 PM   #13

These are great. I love the details...if walls could talk!
If I may, were these really barns, in the traditional sense? With the interesting positions of the structures on the hillside (not conducive to animal use I wouldn't think, storage perhaps, more recently), and given the terrain with the old-growth in the background, I wonder if these were originally temporary dwellings for loggers?
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:20 PM   #14

The first is my favorite, but they are all really nice.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:55 PM   #15

Again some nice shots showing lots of details. What are these structures? Unless the chinking has fallen out leaving those wide gaps Im thinking they must be designed for what we see. Storing hay. The roof to help keep some rain off while the sides open for ventilation. Any ideas Markus??
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 6:24 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Again some nice shots showing lots of details. What are these structures? Unless the chinking has fallen out leaving those wide gaps Im thinking they must be designed for what we see. Storing hay. The roof to help keep some rain off while the sides open for ventilation. Any ideas Markus??
based on the design of the door and the openness around the roof, i think they were designed just for what they are doing.

farmers make similar hay shelters around the midwest here too, a tin roof to keep the direct rain off, but open around for venting.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:42 PM   #17

The way those places are built like that on the side of the hill with nothing under the floor its perfect for those kids who wet the bed. It would just drain out and they could go on sleeping. Just a Bynx thought.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:24 PM   #18

Maggo,

Very nice series, think the B&W really adds to the photos.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i really love the contrast in this last set. gorgeous mono images.

the contrast is particularly exquisite in #1, so much detail throughout, very interesting image. and i love the perspective of #2.
Thank you very much Dustin - #1 and #2 are the same barns, but the perspective in #2 is my favourite here too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
The first is my favorite, but they are all really nice.
Nice to read such kind words from you Harriet - thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Maggo,

Very nice series, think the B&W really adds to the photos.
Thank you too shoturtle - I think these old hats are a great subject for b&w... the color versions are not really that interesting to look at

Quote:
The way those places are built like that on the side of the hill with nothing under the floor its perfect for those kids who wet the bed. It would just drain out and they could go on sleeping. Just a Bynx thought.
Bynx... I like your thought - every child that wet the bad should have such a barn in the garden to sleep inside

You should have this idea patented

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB View Post
These are great. I love the details...if walls could talk!
If I may, were these really barns, in the traditional sense? With the interesting positions of the structures on the hillside (not conducive to animal use I wouldn't think, storage perhaps, more recently), and given the terrain with the old-growth in the background, I wonder if these were originally temporary dwellings for loggers?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
based on the design of the door and the openness around the roof, i think they were designed just for what they are doing.

farmers make similar hay shelters around the midwest here too, a tin roof to keep the direct rain off, but open around for venting.
Dustin, your explanation is totally right - these barns were built more than a hundred years ago to do this one thing: storing hay and keeping it dry as good as possible

EDIT: On my first photo on page 1 of this thread, you can see the original roof these barns had!

Of course I want to thank you all for taking the time viewing and commenting my images - you are a great help for me!!

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L

Last edited by maggo85; Feb 10, 2010 at 6:15 AM. Reason: Added a sentence
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:41 AM   #20

A hundred years old!!! I should look so good after a hundred years. Its a nice connection to your roots. Imagine filling a structure, built by your grandfather or great grandfather, with hay and doing the same things as they did. Literally walking in their footsteps. All I have from any of my grandfathers is a couple of pictures.