Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:59 PM   #1

Default Barns in B&W

Seeing Walter's two boats inspired me to try a B&W HDR myself - so I used this shot I took yesterday and created a pseudo-B&W-HDR out of a single JPG (made out of a RAW with DxO). The HDR was created with the "B&W"-filter/option in DPHDR:

Name:  IMG_1060_DxO_raw_fhdr_small.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  253.6 KB

Here is the untouched original for comparison:

Name:  IMG_1060_DxO_raw_small.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  222.5 KB

C&C very welcome - I love to read your comments about my pictures

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:07 PM   #2
Super Moderator

can i first ask a technical question. you said you did a pseudo-hdr out of a jpeg converted in dxo. did you a) make 3 jpegs out of the raw and then hdr or b) did you use the RAW to make a single 32big jpeg and tone-map it or c) did you create the pseudo-hdr out of the raw. i am just curious because if i do a pseudo-hdr i always feed in the RAW image itself.

anyways, moving on from that. I like this photo. the pseudo-hdr (however you did it) really helped to bring out the texture in the wood of the barns. and enhanced the dimension of the shot. the black and white conversion looks pretty good. the barns are positioned in a good place in the scene.

now you can make this even better with a little dodge/burning. i would dodge (lightent) the foreground snow just a little bit, bring it a little closer to white than grey. then you can do a little burning to the mountains. particularly the hazy spot above the each barn, and then the top left corner to knock down some of the highlights.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
can i first ask a technical question. you said you did a pseudo-hdr out of a jpeg converted in dxo. did you a) make 3 jpegs out of the raw and then hdr or b) did you use the RAW to make a single 32big jpeg and tone-map it or c) did you create the pseudo-hdr out of the raw. i am just curious because if i do a pseudo-hdr i always feed in the RAW image itself.

anyways, moving on from that. I like this photo. the pseudo-hdr (however you did it) really helped to bring out the texture in the wood of the barns. and enhanced the dimension of the shot. the black and white conversion looks pretty good. the barns are positioned in a good place in the scene.

now you can make this even better with a little dodge/burning. i would dodge (lightent) the foreground snow just a little bit, bring it a little closer to white than grey. then you can do a little burning to the mountains. particularly the hazy spot above the each barn, and then the top left corner to knock down some of the highlights.
On this walk yesterday I took all my pictures only in RAW - just to try a few things out and play with DxO. In this case I just developed (?) one single JPEG out of the RAW with the automatic improvements that DxO made.

Then I took this single JPEG and loaded it into Dynamic Photo HDR and choosed "Pseudo-HDR". If you do so, you can ponly choose between Eye-catching, Ultra-contrast and Halo-matix, the other options are disabled (smooth compressor, auto-adaptive, photographic and human eye). But besides this fact, you can adjust everything the same as when you make a "real" HDR out of many exposures.

Anyways, I hope you understand how I did that HDR (I know, my English is not the best ) and want to thank you for your comment - good to hear such nice word

I'll try out the dodge/burning thing with that - honestly I never did that before, but I love to try out new things to improve my photography

Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:35 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post

Then I took this single JPEG and loaded it into Dynamic Photo HDR and choosed "Pseudo-HDR". If you do so, you can ponly choose between Eye-catching, Ultra-contrast and Halo-matix, the other options are disabled (smooth compressor, auto-adaptive, photographic and human eye). But besides this fact, you can adjust everything the same as when you make a "real" HDR out of many exposures.
Yes, I understand, thanks

for you, or for anyone using DPHDR, can you load a single RAW file and use it to make the Pseudo-HDR, as I believe this would give you better results than loading a single JPEG because of the increased data.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Yes, I understand, thanks

for you, or for anyone using DPHDR, can you load a single RAW file and use it to make the Pseudo-HDR, as I believe this would give you better results than loading a single JPEG because of the increased data.
Next time I'll do the HDR directly from the RAW, I didn't think about that yesterday

Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:33 AM   #6

I like it. I'll have to try a B&W HDR myself.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 2:16 PM   #7

i know this might sound a little crazy but in some hdr images i find that jpegs work better than raw files im not saying in them all just on the odd occassion (i shoot both raw and jpeg at the same time) ..... maggo there are loads of filters with dphdr im just learning to use some myself
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
I like it. I'll have to try a B&W HDR myself.
Thank's Walter, I'm glad you like it! It was more to try out how a B&W HDR would look like... next time I'll try it your way and create a color HDR and then convert it to B&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
i know this might sound a little crazy but in some hdr images i find that jpegs work better than raw files im not saying in them all just on the odd occassion (i shoot both raw and jpeg at the same time) ..... maggo there are loads of filters with dphdr im just learning to use some myself
Thank you for taking the time to comment my try - have fun discovering the world of DPHDR
I think I'll give it a try and do a head-to-head comparison between RAW and JPEG to see what I like best

Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:38 PM   #9

The thing about B&W is it becomes timeless. Is it a recent pic or was it taken 80 years ago? In this case the subject really fits into the timeless category nicely. It seems to have more detail in the snow than the color version. Nicely done Maggo.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
I don't know if I'm the only one, but sometimes I've had big problems feeding RAW pics into DPHDR. The problem I've experienced it that the program crashes or the pictures become just a whole lot of messy coloures in the preview screens. This is when I load three or more pictures, and not always. So I've started converting my pictures to tiff's before loading them into DPHDR. I would just like to know if anyone else is experiencing this?
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote