Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:57 PM   #11

I believe that for moving objects, waves, trees, people and cars etc that the RAW file is the way to go. My next camera is going to shoot RAW.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
The middle exposure for comparison.
Actually, This is the Middle exposure. Certainly not as good as the HDR version, but not bad...

Post processing is post processing, and HDR is simply another form of PP.

But if you're going to compare HDR, then be fair about it.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:40 PM   #13

Chato

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your comment. Please explain.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
Chato

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your comment. Please explain.
Sorry about that Walter. What I meant was that those who see this thread, and your other one, will be under the impression that the HDR version should be compared with the posted example of the Middle Exposure. Yet, we all, to one extent or another process images even if just to get the contrast right.

All I did with your middle exposure was run it through the levels command of Photoshop, and it comes close to matching the HDR version. Not that close, but close.

I don't want to offend anyone, but the Middle exposure is in the same ball park as the HDR version.

Dave
Old Feb 3, 2010, 6:53 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Chato,

I think you are asking if we should be comparing our HDR's to our "Best Middle Exposure" since we normally post our "best HDR"?

I do see the logic in that one, but it depends on the purpose the poster had when they posted the middle exposure. Some do in fact use it to show how much improvement the HDR had, and in that respect your comparison is probably logical. others just do it to give an idea of the scene, and then i think any middle exposure is fine.

but it is another way of looking at it.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post

All I did with your middle exposure was run it through the levels command of Photoshop, and it comes close to matching the HDR version. Not that close, but close.

I don't want to offend anyone, but the Middle exposure is in the same ball park as the HDR version.

Dave
I don't agree. Your adjustments are nowhere near the HDR version IMO
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Chato,

I think you are asking if we should be comparing our HDR's to our "Best Middle Exposure" since we normally post our "best HDR"?

I do see the logic in that one, but it depends on the purpose the poster had when they posted the middle exposure. Some do in fact use it to show how much improvement the HDR had, and in that respect your comparison is probably logical. others just do it to give an idea of the scene, and then i think any middle exposure is fine.

but it is another way of looking at it.
As I said in the other thread on this, Why post the Middle Exposure at all?

Unfortunately, this appears to be singling out Walter. My bad. But the point remains. Walter I'm sure didn't post it for the purpose of saying, "See what an improvement HDR is over a regular shot."

And I apologise if my posts give this impression. On the other hand, what IS the purpose of posting a drab image? It defacto is a comparison. And while I just happened to respond at This time to Walter, most of those showing their HDR images do the same.

None of them are being dishonest. It seems like the right thing to do - But my point is, Why Bother?

Dave