Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:49 AM   #11

Showing the middle shot certainly shows the finer qualities of the HDR shot. Sometimes what looks like a simple good photo is really an improved photo due to HDR. It takes that middle pic to understand it.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Showing the middle shot certainly shows the finer qualities of the HDR shot. Sometimes what looks like a simple good photo is really an improved photo due to HDR. It takes that middle pic to understand it.
I totally second this comment - when I see someone posting a HDR, I always want to see the middle-exposure as it came out of the cam

Of course you can pp the middle-exposure too, but, as Bynx said, you need the untouched middle-exposure to see the improvements due to the HDR.

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:07 PM   #13

I've done the occasional HDR that just looked like a properly exposed shot, and had people ask me why I bothered with HDR software for it, or seem very surprised when they find out that it was an HDR. You would never have guessed that the scene needed HDR unless you had seen the middle shot and realized just how much dynamic range there was in the scene.

And this particular thread is about using HDR with a single shot - a rather non-traditional (if there is such a thing for something so relatively new) way of using the software. There's a couple of other software packages that can do similar (or different) effects - enhancing an original picture to create a different look to them (Topaz Labs have some, I've not tried them but looked at their samples when I was researching noise reduction software). So posting the middle exposure does a couple of things - it gives someone an idea of when they might need to use HDR, what some of the effects can be and since this part of the bulletin board is about HDR, it follows that a certain amount of the discussion is going to be technical. While I don't think it's necessary to post the middle exposure for every shot, it's certainly useful in certain cases, where it provides additional information to the discussion.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote