Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:01 AM   #1

Default HDR buildings

It's well after my bedtime and I know better than to post pictures this late. But I'm a little short of time at the moment, and would like some opinions on these. I'm not entirely sure I like the HDR versions I managed to come up with, and would like some suggestions. I'm afraid you'll tell me that they are all beyond hope.

This is the one I thought was best, though I should have framed it differently. I was using a very wide angle lens and didn't want to point it up too much, to avoid perspective errors. Should I re-shoot it to get the top of the point, regardless of the weird perspective I'd get?

Here's the HDR version (I didn't like the HDR's version of the sky, so I used the one from the middle frame):

I did do some perspective correction and cropping. Here's the middle frame, with nothing done to it:

I think this one is hopeless. I like the tower and the angles in the courtyard. However, the building is a U shape, not an L so there's no end on the left side. On the other hand, I thought the HDR part of it was OK, even if it did make the sky lighter than it was:

The middle exposure is even more hopeless than the HDR version:

This last one is the best as far as the perspective goes (though the original needed to be rotated a bit) - probably the best shot overall, even if I do like the first one better. The color isn't quite what I was looking for - it was starting to get light by the time I made it this far. Looking at them here, this one looks like I should lighten the building without touching the sky, and that would bring out more color and make it look less flat. I'll try that tomorrow evening on the original and see if that makes as big a difference as I think it might.

And the middle, uncorrected exposure.

Any comments or suggestions would be gratefully accepted. Even if it's that you think I should give up on these. I can easily re-shoot any of these again if you have suggestions for "next time include/exclude/try a different aperture/shutter speed etc."

One thing I did learn - my first one was shot at ISO 800 and while it was noisy, it was manageable. I decided to use ISO 1600 for the others as the shutter speeds were getting really long and I definitely regretted it. The last one I ended up running the 5 frames through deNoise first, before doing the HDR conversion. That helped, but my results were better at lower ISOs. Come to think of it - would that have caused the more muted colors on the last one?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:01 AM   #2

To me the main concern is your White Balance. You could have changed it so it wasnt so yellow/orange.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:25 AM   #3
Super Moderator

i find the first image to be the most appealing aesthetically, the curves are nice, and the texture of the foreground courtyard is nice.

but yea, as Bynx noted, i think correcting the white balance first (did you shoot raw) before going HDR would improve the appeal, right now its just very very orange, which I know easily happens.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:05 AM   #4

I should have looked at these on my lousy work computer - on my home computer they are much more yellow than orange.

And I guess I should always keep in mind that what caught my eye, and what I wanted to photograph is not necessarily going to translate well to others who are not familiar with the location. I specifically was not interested in showing things as white that would, in sunlight, be white. The reason is that at night they use a very yellowish-orange lighting on the buildings and it makes it a different world. I wanted to try to capture that un-real world, especially with the first one - its a building I find interesting in person because of it's lines, but which I haven't managed an interesting picture of in daylight because its basically a glass walled, white building with some brick accents. I'll have to see if I can get it less orangy, without losing the yellow lighting, or else give up on them all-together.

I might try taking the first one in daylight as a black and white - that might help accent the curve and interesting lines.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:21 AM   #5
Super Moderator

i think you did capture the interesting lines and textures quite well. and I do see the unreal mood you are going for, and it just almost works really well. but it just gets overwhelmed by the orange.

and our visual system is intimately tied with our memory and vice versa, so its often difficult to judge how our photos are seen from the others that have not experienced it in person.

anyways, if you can just tone down the orange a little bit, i think it will work really well. also, that top floor light on in the building behind it is a little distracting. you may be able to replace that bright one from one of the originals.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Super Moderator

has a bit of an ethereal feel as black and white as is
Attached Images

Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:17 PM   #7

Oooh - I very much like the b&w - while it doesn't capture the light that was one of my primary subjects, it sure captures the feeling I wanted and is a much more successful picture. Thanks also for pointing out the obnoxious 7th floor window - I'd been so tied up looking at one thing I hadn't noticed it (and it is very distracting). I'll try to deal with the orange cast, but I might not bother with the first one, as I really like the b&w version.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:45 PM   #8

Often when working with HDR, I create a copy and correct WB or some other aspect which is a bit off, then layer it and adjust the transparency (OK, for photoshop-opacity) to give me an image somewhere between the extremes. For your first shot, I would paste something like what Bynx came up with on to the original, and blend.
Your last one looks as if it could stand just a bit more tilt correction, judging by the roofline. I think I like the unprocessed exposure better for contrast and light.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:43 AM   #9

I agree with Bynx, but felt that he went a little bit to far in reducing the orange, the picture sort of lost it's magic. Your first picture was like taken out of a comic strip, cool unreal feel, and I'm not sure why this one didn't work for you? Your #2 is on the orangie side, and so were the rest of the hdr's imho.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:18 AM   #10

I finally gave up on the second two - I couldn't quite get rid of the orange successfully (several things I tried made it look very odd or else I didn't like it). They do OK as b&w also, but still look too boring, the basic pictures aren't strong enough.

Thanks for all your opinions, it's given me a starting point. Now to wander up there again some morning and re-take the second two to see if I can get a better starting point.