Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:42 AM   #91

thanks, i was impressed with how much extra detail the program gives, ive just done another of a small lizard think it was a gecko (below) which we saw hiding in bush in Egypt also.

the second is the processed image the first being my "touched" up effort before i found this program anyway enough posting more pics to mess about with
Attached Images

Blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:05 AM   #92

Well, Blaupunkt - I dont want to dissapoint you, but this treatment did - IMO not make things so much better. If all, the entire picture has become more difficult to 'take in' because all the shadows are gone now, giving the eyes of the viewer so much more to digest, that it actually works against what it was supposed to do.

If only the gecko itself would have been treated, without the background, I would agree that it was indeed an improofement, as the details in the gecko have been improoved. As it is now, the gecko blends in too much with the ground.

So, the lesson is that HDR does NOT automatically improofe any photo.....
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 1:36 PM   #93

i can see what you mean but i like the second pic more because of the extra detail

i have done some other pics that it made very little difference to or made look worse in some ways, i took some sunsets when i was there with mountains in the background, after using this program on those shots the out come did not look so good

maybe i can cut the gecko out and just do it on that image or crop the picture a lot more so the gecko fills up the whole thing.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:13 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaupunkt View Post
i can see what you mean but i like the second pic more because of the extra detail

i have done some other pics that it made very little difference to or made look worse in some ways, i took some sunsets when i was there with mountains in the background, after using this program on those shots the out come did not look so good

maybe i can cut the gecko out and just do it on that image or crop the picture a lot more so the gecko fills up the whole thing.
There are many ways to improve detail without using a specific tone mapping program. I took your image of the Gecko, removed chroma noise, hyped saturation and then added some unsharp mask. This produces and image that both retains the shadows, and increases detail.

With your permission, I'll post it.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:21 PM   #95

sure post away
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:46 PM   #96

Quote:
sure post away
Compare it for detail in your tone mapped shot

Dave
Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:09 AM   #97

what program are you using to do this ? i use MS digital image pro 9 or 10 cannot remember now to edit pic etc, similar to photoshop but much easier to use, i once tried that but could not get my head round it
Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:43 AM   #98

Quote:
what program are you using to do this ? i use MS digital image pro 9 or 10 cannot remember now to edit pic etc, similar to photoshop but much easier to use, i once tried that but could not get my head round it
I'm using Photoshop, but nothing really complex. As I said, I removed chroma noise (really don't know if this was necessary) with noise ninja, raised the color saturation, did a little unsharp mask. I then played around with contrast, and probably would have done better if I hadn't...

Dave
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:53 PM   #99
NLA

Hi Martin.

Though I already have a psuedo-hdr program, I must say that I am very impressed with some of the examples that I have seen here. However, I have been unsuccessful at getting your program to function for me. I have downloaded it a couple of different times, and have opened up various Jpegs in it. The only button available (darkened) to me is the "Open Image" button.

Would you have any suggestions for me?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:09 AM   #100

Sorry, small bug in the latest version - I'll fix shortly. If you drag an image into the window instead it works fine.

[Edit] Fixed in 1.59

Latest version is slightly faster and gives better results on *most* images. Jpeg artefacts in the original can become more visible but I think it's better to clean up those separately before the pseudo-HDR step. There are now two settings - 'Local contrast' and 'Strength'. You need to re-process the image if you change the contrast setting but changes to the strength are applied immediately which gives a faster way to 'tune' the result.

Last edited by MartinSykes; Apr 7, 2010 at 1:17 AM.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote