Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:26 AM   #201

Very nice

In making the conversion from VBA to C++ for speed I found a couple of very small but hugely important bugs in my code (mixing an integer with a float if any programmers are interested). As a result I've just uploaded version 1.106 which is still in VBA but gives beautifully clean and much sharper results (even with the smoothing). It now defaults to 'low quality' which is still far cleaner than the previous high-quality which means you can get even better results in a third of the time. Have fun )
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 6:05 PM   #202

Thanks Martin, you're a legend!!

I will try out autohdr v1.106 very soon.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:27 PM   #203

Martin,

I've tested your latest version and it works well, although very slowly. It is very much personal preference as to the results. I wonder if you could please describe just what your program is doing ? It brightens dark areas, bringing out more detail and adds contrast of some sort. Does it denoise before the latter ? It also seems to add saturation ?
amcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 3:33 PM   #204

Thanks Martin, really like the program, think i need a faster laptop for all this photo stuff. great fun and I've only just started. like the effect on your pictures.
regards. mark
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 8:48 PM   #205

I'm starting to neglect my HDR software; your program does most things more easily and quickly with one image.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:50 PM   #206

version 1.106 gives me this error every time i try to generate a preview:
"Unhandled exception has occurred......
Index was outside the bounds of the array"

version 1.105 preview works fine on exact same image.
freddesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:04 AM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddesto View Post
version 1.106 gives me this error every time i try to generate a preview:
"Unhandled exception has occurred......
Index was outside the bounds of the array"

version 1.105 preview works fine on exact same image.
Yes, I found the same - for the preview I get that error.

I had previously used v1.87, which doesn't have the preview function.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 3:39 AM   #208

Just back from holiday in Turkey - lots of pictures to work through.

v1.107 just uploaded fixes the preview bug - sorry about that

And thanks all for the feedback and kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcam View Post
I wonder if you could please describe just what your program is doing ? It brightens dark areas, bringing out more detail and adds contrast of some sort. Does it denoise before the latter ? It also seems to add saturation ?
In brief:

For every pixel it works out the lightest and darkest related pixels and stretches the histogram accordingly. So a mid-grey pixel can become almost white if it is the lightest pixel in an area or can become almost black if it is the darkest pixel in an area. This has the effect of increasing local contrast and shrapening as well which shows more detail. It does do some optional denoising as a final step. When the tone is adjusted, AutoHDR attempts to increase or reduce the stauration to keep the colours looking natural.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:09 PM   #209

Have made an hdr image with your handy program. The original is an image made with 16s shutter speed capturing the moon and venus. I like how hdr (in detail preset) makes it look more like a day shot and a bit out of this world.
Attached Images

Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:23 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSykes View Post

For every pixel it works out the lightest and darkest related pixels and stretches the histogram accordingly. So a mid-grey pixel can become almost white if it is the lightest pixel in an area or can become almost black if it is the darkest pixel in an area. This has the effect of increasing local contrast and shrapening as well which shows more detail. It does do some optional denoising as a final step. When the tone is adjusted, AutoHDR attempts to increase or reduce the stauration to keep the colours looking natural.
Thanks Martin.

Shouldn't denoising be the first step, otherwise noise is amplified by the following steps ?
How much clipping of the histogram do you do ?

It also highlights the fact that the first step before using any multi image HDR program should be to look at the RAW histogram. If there is no high or low truncation, using multiple exposures is a complete waste of time. Multiple EV's can only reduce the final image quality because of the added noise from multiple images, including the added noise from tiny image misalignments.

Even cheap Canon's can produce RAW's by using CHDK. Where jpgs are used, blown out areas and loss of detail is common. It's better to spend money on a good camera than on buying software to compensate for a poor one.

I'd reckon that 90% of the HDR images shown on this forum don't need multiple EV images. Martin's program is a far better approach for those wanting a very quick image enhancement. Personally, I'd prefer to take the time to do such adjustments manually ... but it does take time ;-))
amcam is offline   Reply With Quote