Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:25 AM   #11

Nice edit, Ordo -- thanks! Wow, sometimes I feel like a hack navigating by candlelight. Come to think of it, I am.

Thanks, simple. I very much liked what I saw on Martin Sykes' thread. I'll have to look it up.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Dave, St. Bartholomews on Park Avenue is also very dark. My initial impression was like walking into a cinema. The next day when I walked in again, however, it wasn't as dark. I think maybe the mind plays tricks setting expectations too high the first time around. In any case, it gives you a better feel of what it was like before electricity and the light bulb were invented. You may live in a big castle but to find your way around, you'd still have to navigate by candlelight.
I wish I could trust my memory of the place. I went into the Church because events in my life had traumatized me. I didn't go to pray, but I did go there to find some momentary peace. I remember being soothed by the place. It was dark, quiet...

As I said earlier my memory is damaged from the booze drugs and hot dogs (I did manage to kick hot dogs at Betty Ford). Even so, even so, the place I see in your images are neither soothing nor peaceful.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:38 AM   #13

#4 is awesome. I've been looking at it since yesterday and i like it more and more. In the lateral door windows you can see the interior of the church (lamps, ceiling) while in the center door windows you can see the reflections of the building in front. Colors and detail of the whole shot are plain stunning.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Bynx, I had thoughts, too, about the ceiling. But mine were, imagine one of those getting loose and falling on your head while praying...
All I can say is INCH ALLAH. Which means By God's Will.
On a side note. Im not sure how many people are affected by this, but I use the standard Black background. I'd prefer to use it since it makes the colors and pics cleaner to see without the bright white. Only problem is I cant see your type when Im in black and have to switch to the white one. Any chance you can change your type color so it can be seen in Black mode?

Last edited by Bynx; Feb 9, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
#4 is awesome. I've been looking at it since yesterday and i like it more and more. In the lateral door windows you can see the interior of the church (lamps, ceiling) while in the center door windows you can see the reflections of the building in front. Colors and detail of the whole shot are plain stunning.
Thanks, Ordo!

Yes, I notice that DPHDR's "halo-matix" tone map works well with transparent glass windows. I remember showing Walter S the effect on a dilapidated home's window on my Neversink River thread but instead of making Walter focus on the glass window I was gabbing about rust on the hinges, woodgrain, dust, grime, etc., which probably just confused him more.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
All I can say is INCH ALLAH. Which means By God's Will.
If that brick turns into styrofoam the instant it hits my head then I, too, will believe .

On the other hand, if I am just annoying the faithful trying to pray with my camera's shutter noise then maybe I deserve it...

Quote:
On a side note. Im not sure how many people are affected by this, but I use the standard Black background. I'd prefer to use it since it makes the colors and pics cleaner to see without the bright white. Only problem is I cant see your type when Im in black and have to switch to the white one. Any chance you can change your type color so it can be seen in Black mode?
I just switched to black theme and I can read the posts -- text turned to white. I'm not sure how to force a font color but I'll keep looking.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:29 PM   #17

The day I took my camera out of the box the first thing I did was turn off all clicks etc. Its completely silent. Unless your camera has a folding up mirror etc. all the noises are artificial.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:20 PM   #18

Quote:
The day I took my camera out of the box the first thing I did was turn off all clicks etc. Its completely silent. Unless your camera has a folding up mirror etc. all the noises are artificial.
Yes, mine has a noisy click because the mirror slaps out of the way.

I have been very selective of my shooting position inside churches, though, far away enough from the closest congregant to not be distubed, and alert for any movement after every click that may be a sign of annoyance, especially that the ledge be it wood or stone I set my camera on amplifies the three clicks per bracketed shot. I think soundwaves travel through solid objects and so makes the noise much louder.