Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Feb 8, 2010, 5:02 PM   #1

Default Quick question about HDR

Ok, been looking through the pictures, and this is the first time ive come across this in pictures. seen allsorts of other wierd and wonderful ways of combining pics, but not with HDR,

so thought id give it a go.

but one thing has been really confusing me. how was everyone getting 3 pics at different exposures,

now can you just clarify.. basically when ur choosing the pic you want to turn into your HDR, (presuming all your settings are right, file types etc) you would add it to the program 3 times, and then for each one change the exposure in the prog, to create 3 'layers' then the programme would then add these 3 pics together to make the final pic?

or am i missing something?

(ive been fiddling abut with dynamic photo hdr)
jasonholland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2010, 5:22 PM   #2

You take 3 shots or more changing only your shutter speed. The aperture you dont touch. You can take your pics one of two ways. With the auto bracketing feature of your camera. I dont like mine so I do it manually. I decide the best overall settings to take the shot. Then I click up 9 times the shutter speed with my camera. At that point I just shoot, click 3, shoot, click 3 until Ive gone through the range I want to use. Each shot is then assembled in Photomatix and it then does its magic.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 5:29 PM   #3

hmmm ok, so it is litteraly 3 different pictures? well ill have to try that as well then. the way ive been doing it has been getting some pretty gd results none the less mind

edit..

had another thought... if you were taking a picture of something that had people in it etc... surely changing the speeds is going to take too long. by the time each time the shutter speed is changed, the picture is going to have changed in some way?

Last edited by jasonholland89; Feb 8, 2010 at 5:32 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 5:35 PM   #4

Your next question is a good point. Up til now Ive only been doing buildings mainly for HDR. To catch moving objects like auto traffic or people on the go you would use a single RAW file. Convert it into 3 16 bit tiffs and use those in Photomatix. Unfortunately my camera only shoots jpeg. I wish there was a way to hack the camera so it would give me raw instead of jpeg.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 5:46 PM   #5

ah ok. that makes more sense. well still objects i can do, will have to keep trying to play with pics of things in motion, its my animals which are gna be tricky to do.

im just going to show you examples of what ive done... basically, ive taken a couple of images from my holiday to vegas (and one of my water dragons eye)
ive added the file 3 times into the program, each file with a different exposure. -2, 0 and +2. (might try with a higher amount of pics when i have more time) then going through the process.. this is what i come up with....

obviosuly nothing like what can be achieved, but i havt really lpayed around much. just tested out the combining of pics. will have to keep playing me thinks