Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Feb 8, 2010, 9:32 PM   #1

Default Another go at DPHDR -- St. Raphael's Church

#1. Dynamic Photo HDR version.

#2. Photomatix version.

Thoughts? Comments?

The 3 bracketed shots (+/-0.7ev) are handheld. There's massive pitch, roll, and yaw throughout the combined images. With DPHDR manual pin-warping (albeit painstaking) took care of that. Photomatix did its best but I guess couldn't do any more when it came to the left side of the photo.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:45 PM   #2

i agree photomatix does look great on this one but like you say the left hand side is a bit bizzarre but the colours and detial are fantastic
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:59 PM   #3

VV,

Normally I really like your HDR work, but the second one to me I find it to be detail overload. It actually bugs out my eye when looking at it. It looks less like a photo, and more like a cgi of a high end graphic. It looses the realness to it.

The first one is more eye friendly and easier to view. And coveys details with a much better sense of reality. And it still looks like a photo. I like the first one.

Hope you don't mind.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:17 AM   #4

Its for those reasons that shoturtle gives that I like #2. Too bad the pieces dont fit. Ive never had much problem like that when doing hand held. I find Photomatix does a pretty good job lining up the photos.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Super Moderator

i actually kind of like the darker exposure of the first one, which to me sets off the red and gold doors. the dphdr still retains plenty of fine detail in this darker exposure, just doesn't lighten it up as much as the photomatix.

i think you could probably tweak either software to produce something midway between the 2 that could give that good contrast to the door while bringing out a few more details.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:17 AM   #6

It looks like we have a good split. I actually like both (hey, I made them ). But in different ways. To me, it's like picking between a banana and some grapes. I like both.

But to provide additional info, the Photomatix version is pretty much a one-step process -- I just feed the 3 exposures into PM, choose "grunge" tone map, and then sharpen the output with PSE.

The DPHDR version on the other hand consists of several steps. I feed the 3 exposures into DPHDR, select the "halo matix" tone map, adjust sliders to lessen saturation and contrast, then use PSE7 to increase saturation and contrast and sharpen.

Why do I go through all these? Because the point of my exercise is to see how close I can get to PM's grunge tone map which I believe wows everyone on the planet.

In the process, I end up liking DPHDR even more. Primarily because I take a lot of handheld shots and because PM has a distinctive style that makes it easier to identify which makes the viewer I think wonder if the author did anything else other than run it. (That's actually a compliment to PM.)

So, while PM creates a "finished" product, I think DPHDR's "halo-matix", "auto-adaptive", and "smooth compressor" tone maps (maybe its other tone maps, too) are ripe (and probably meant) for further processing.

Of course, with DPHDR, you can also use "eye-catching" or "ultra-contrast" and be done with it. And vice versa, you can if you want further enhance your PM output.

Thanks a lot for all your comments! The fact that some of you also liked the DPHDR version and made suggestion means a lot to me because it means I'm getting somewhere with it and so will continue to experiment with it. (Bynx, I think I picked a really badly misaligned example.)

Also, I post my edits on my website for friends and family to see. I sometimes go against what's discussed here but most of the time I simply obey. Either way, you all give me a nice solid backbone on which I can rest my ever-burgeoning (I hope) photography weight.

Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:58 AM   #7

I use both HDR programs. Sometimes I like both versions, so I blend them both together.
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:44 AM   #8

Thanks for the input, Ancientritual. I'm just wondering what you meant by "blend".

On a side note, a friend of mine asked if this church -- St. Raphael's Church -- is the one used in the Daredevil movie. The movie is set in Hell's Kitchen where St. Raphael's Church is located. I said I don't know. Anyone?