Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Feb 10, 2010, 2:25 PM   #1

Default DPHDR on single RAW, 3 JPEGs from 1 RAW, Single JPEG, 3 Bracketed JPEGs

This is really in response to Hards80's question in maggo85's thread here where Hards80 asked:

"for you, or for anyone using DPHDR, can you load a single RAW file and use it to make the Pseudo-HDR, as I believe this would give you better results than loading a single JPEG because of the increased data."

The answer is yes you can load a single RAW file into Dynamic Photo HDR (DPHDR). In addition, DPHDR will not only let you do a Pseudo HDR edit but will even recommend you do a Full HDR edit instead.

I remember playing with RAW images before but wasn't happy with the results. However, I was very new to HDR then so I was doing things incorrectly. Later I learned from Walter C how to generate 3 (or more) JPEGs with different ev values from 1 RAW file.

Today I decided to try again.

I hope the following edit comparisons help. I used the "Eye Catching" tone map for all edits with default values except for Saturation being reduced to 0.7 (from 1) and Vivid to 0 (from 0.1). These values are what I call "Walter S' values" and work perfectly on all my edits.

#1. HDR on single RAW file.

#2. HDR on single JPEG file.

#3. HDR on 3 JPEGs generated from single RAW with ev values +1, 0, and -1.

#4. HDR on 3 JPEGs from a bracketed shot with ev values -0.7, 0, and +0.7.

It looks like the single-RAW HDR (#1) is overly saturated while the single-JPEG HDR (#2) has muted colors (lacks saturation). So I'd say single-file HDR using DPHDR does not create "finished products" but would require further processing (with Photoshop, etc.).

Multiple-file HDRs, on the other hand -- whether from JPEGs generated from a single RAW file or from 3 separate JPEGs shot with different ev values -- seem to have just the right amount of color saturation and so can be "finished products" and require no further processing.

For what it's worth, I made edits to all four according to my personal preferences below. I wanted to see especially if I can increase or decrease saturation on the single-file HDRs to make them more natural-looking. I'm hoping they would at least show the potential for further processing.

#5. Processed HDR on single RAW file.

#6. Processed HDR from a Single JPEG file

#7. Processed HDR on 3 JPEGs generated from single RAW with ev values +1, 0, and -1.

#8. Processed HDR on 3 JPEGs from a bracketed shot with ev values -0.7, 0, and +0.7.

Original image files -- RAW and 3 bracketed JPEGs -- are here:

http://cid-7e695c2c0dde32eb.skydrive...W%20Experiment

Last edited by vvcarpio; Feb 10, 2010 at 2:31 PM. Reason: Added link to originals
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2010, 2:33 PM   #2

You saved the best for last. Thats the way I see it on my monitor. Nice comparison.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 2:40 PM   #3

I just re-read Hards80's question and realized I didn't fully answer it. My answer is yes, I agree, loading a single RAW instead of single JPEG would give better HDR results because of the increased data. The color info (at least) on the single-RAW is richer than on the single-JPEG.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 2:49 PM   #4

Thanks, Bynx!
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:44 PM   #5

I took a jpeg and in Photoshop--Mode--I changed the file to a 16 bit or 32 bit tiff. Then took it into Photomatix and played with the sliders. It changes the original for sure. Not sure if its the best way to go though. Single file should always be from a RAW file.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:33 PM   #6

If we talk reality (?) I like #6.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:43 PM   #7

Thanks for doing this - it makes an interesting comparison. The other thing is that I didn't realize that Photomatix could process a single file to HDR until I started reading here. I got some interesting results, though I far prefer the results I get using bracketed shots.

The thing I found very interesting is the difference between the set you processed at +/-1 and +/-.7 . I think it would be smart for me to try several different sets using different steps, just to see what differences I get.

This is all very thought-provoking!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote