Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:02 PM   #1

Default HDR-Sunset with snow and ice

Sunsets ar normally not the ones best suited for HRD-renderings, and I havn't been posting much here lately.

I did it anyway - like everything else photographic nowadays - I shoot it with 3 or mostly 5 brackets and it ends up within DynamicPhoto-HDR's guts. Some are just o.k., while others are 'acceptable'.

I am not sure these candy-colored sunsets are everybody's cup of tea. Some call it 'kitch' - is it?

The reason I have to post this colorful picture today is purely for self-healing purposes - because I am so tired of winter, the cold and the snow which never seems to stop falling! More and more every day, and the forecast for the next 3 weeks isn't encouraging either. Cold-spells with more snow......!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:12 PM   #2

Well, viewing these types of images give me inspiration.

I only wish I was lucky enough to have been able to see it first hand.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:14 PM   #3

Let the winter never stop at Norway if it helps to bring us such beautiful picks.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 3:08 PM   #4

I don't care what others think of sunrises and sunsets - I love them anyways. This is beautifully done, I feel like I was there. And since I'm sympathetic about you getting tired of winter, I won't tell you about the 80 F weather we had at work a couple of days ago. Went for a walk at lunch in a long-sleeved shirt and didn't go far because I got too hot. But reality is going to set in tonight - they are predicting possible snow showers at home. Lupine and poppies might be blooming along the freeways and the foothills are very green (for a change), but winter isn't quite over yet.

You can sympathize with me come late summer/early fall when I'm tired of really hot weather and brown hills, while you're enjoying comfortable weather.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:02 PM   #5

Its amazing there is so much yellow and the snow is still nice and white. Beautiful scene in any country any time.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Sunsets ar normally not the ones best suited for HRD-renderings, and I havn't been posting much here lately.
Why is that ?

I would have thought that a sunset with snow and black rocks would have had as big a dynamic range as you'd get ?
amcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Well, viewing these types of images give me inspiration.
Thank you Zig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Let the winter never stop at Norway if it helps to bring us such beautiful picks.
I appreciate your nice comment, Ordo!
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Its amazing there is so much yellow and the snow is still nice and white. Beautiful scene in any country any time.
I was astounded myself, Bynx, but HPDPH pulled it off. Thank's for your comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcam View Post
Why is that ?

I would have thought that a sunset with snow and black rocks would have had as big a dynamic range as you'd get ?

Well yes - you are right just in this case because there is this red-brown rock showing underneath the snow - which came out rather good in the HDR.

But my initial remark was ment more in general terms about the use of HDR with sunset-scenes.

Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
...And since I'm sympathetic about you getting tired of winter, I won't tell you about the 80 F weather we had at work a couple of days ago. Went for a walk at lunch in a long-sleeved shirt and didn't go far because I got too hot....
Nice of you to be so considerate, mtngal!

I also appreciate you having a hard time and not beeing able to walk too far because of high temperatures....

Woke up this morning to a new load of "White Stuff" all over my porch and driveway.....

Here are som quick snaps done with my good old Lumix FZ-28 to give you an idea of what it looks like these days.

The last picture is a hand-held panorama-shot taken throug my livingroom-window, showing the restricted view, due to snow and wind. Usually I can see quite clear across the bay, the bridge on the other side and the hills beyond.....

BTW - Thanks for your kind words about my sunset-pix!

Have a nice and warm day, everyone!
Attached Images

Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:29 PM   #9

Very cool pictures - in more ways than one. I'd like to see your view when its clear - it looks like a very beautiful one, one I would love. But I don't envy you your decking - is it wood or one of the composite materials (one type here is called Trex)? I've thought about getting it on our decking - our wood porch gets icy easily and very slippery (above freezing most days, below freezing most nights) and I wondered if something like that would be better.

Our weather has gone back to winter - woke up to a dusting of snow on the trees, cars and deck, but the ground is too warm to freeze. It was raining lightly a few minutes ago, but has now turned to light snow - don't think it knows what it wants to do today.

Hope you stay warm also.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:11 PM   #10

Such a pleasure to look while sipping red wine from the goblet next to the screen : ) You gathered some very nice complementary colours in the foreground and the background in a tastefully composed image! I'd crop a little from the top so as to force the perception sweep along the foreground to the mid and then to the back. I'd also replace a little blue with yellow using the colour balance tool for a somewhat more harmonious mood.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote