Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:17 AM   #1

Default Trying out HDR

This is a quick attempt during my recent stay on the Queen Mary. I think Im going to enjoy HDR but also want to spend minimal funds. Whats going to be the best choice for software?

Last edited by Widowmaker; Feb 22, 2010 at 10:01 PM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:42 PM   #2

Neat shot! I like it.

As far as software - lots of people here use High Dynamic HDR software and have posted excellent results with it (a capable program, indeed). I tried it but didn't get along with it particularly well. I've been using Photomatix and it seems to fit me better. I've seen both excellent and lousy results from it, it's great for certain things but has it's limitations.

I use Photoshop for my main editing program. I've not been impressed with their HDR feature, but have used a very basic manual way of stacking different exposures into one using layers and layer masks. It's easy and as long as your scene doesn't have too big of a dynamic range (i.e., where there's one small part of the picture with information while the rest of the frame is clipped black), it can give pretty good results. If you already own Photoshop in some flavor or a later version of PSE, you could try it to see if it would work.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 3:05 PM   #3

Judging from your HDR in post # 1 I'd say you already have found your "beste choice" of HDR-software. "Essential HDR" is that what it's called?

There are so many HDR-softwares around now that you just have to try them - most can be downloaded as trial-software to be used, free of charge, for 3 weeks or so. Most photographers have tried and got along pretty good with Photomatix. I did the same when I first heard of HDR, but soon found out it does some unexplainable and erratic things which I was not able to control.

I have since used DP-HDR (look through the 'sticky' HDR-threads here to find company-URL's) and found my 'soulmate' in it. It does what I want it to do, both with day- and night-shots (Night-scenes is where Photomatix sometimes goes it's own way and does some strange things...).

Mind you, aligning 3 or 5 or 7 bracket-shots in DP-HDR is not so easy (you have to do this manually with the warp-function) to do if you have not used a tripod. Photomatix is better at the initial aligning of exposures and is ususally the fastest program to get ok-like results from.

Anyway, i feel you have already come a long way, judging from this result on the QM. Great shot, BTW!!

Welcome to the HDR-bunch and hope to see lots of posts from you in the future.

Last edited by Walter_S; Feb 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 3:14 PM   #4

Wow, great shot indeed! Amazing... I am looking forward to HDR, sounds really fun and interesting.

Take care.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:07 PM   #5

What a shot!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 4:33 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Widow, i like the symmetry in this shot, and the processing looks good.

and that essential hdr seems to be quite reasonable in price, so it may be just what you are looking for.

i personally use Photomatix
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Widow, i like the symmetry in this shot, and the processing looks good.

and that essential hdr seems to be quite reasonable in price, so it may be just what you are looking for.

i personally use Photomatix
Yeah, extremely well done...

I too often spell Photomatrix without the "r"....

When I have more time (in six weeks) I intend to really give the layer menu of Photoshop a workout.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:10 PM   #8

Nice shot with beautiful post processing but Id prefer to see it from an adults perspective instead of a toddlers. Why did you shoot from so low a position. It caused the pole in front to cut through the middle of the ceiling fixture as well as other interesting points.
For those illiterates. Photomatix doesnt have an r, never had an r and probably never will have an r. So what are you starting now Chato? And please, dont bother posting any of your pictures to show me.

Last edited by Bynx; Feb 22, 2010 at 7:18 PM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Nice shot with beautiful post processing but Id prefer to see it from an adults perspective instead of a toddlers. Why did you shoot from so low a position. It caused the pole in front to cut through the middle of the ceiling fixture as well as other interesting points.
For those illiterates. Photomatix doesnt have an r, never had an r and probably never will have an r. So what are you starting now Chato? And please, dont bother posting any of your pictures to show me.

Well its because its the 28-135 kit lens on a 1.6 crop factor camera. I could not get the shot I wanted. I had to go down the steps to half level to get that wide. My tripod was up all the way as well and I had to tilt up to keep from cutting the round light off. My next lens will be wider for sure because I found the 28mm to be very limiting in all of my shots.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:02 PM   #10

Thanks all.. Here is a second with photomatix using the same three images. It seems to have maintained more detail.