Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > HDR

Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:41 PM   #11
Super Moderator

you last shot does seem to work quite good.

and you have made your point that you can increase dynamic range without using an HDR program. which, i think its actually kind of interesting you have to make this point at all, seems how the hdr programs are relative newcomers to the game, and this kind of processing you present here is something landscapers have been doing variations on since the dawn of digital.

anyways thanks for sharing in detail the steps, i am sure it will be helpful for some to increase their "postprocess toolbox" so to speak.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:58 PM   #12

Which version of Photoshop are you using? CS4 has a feature to align layers by using features - it works quite well (I use it when stacking pictures to extend depth of field). Photomatix's alignment also works very well, better than DPHDR's automatic alignment. You have the ability to align the layers more or less manually, but I'll never mess with it - I don't have the patience.

Also, have you tried to blend your layers using layer masks in Photoshop? It's another way to do it that doesn't require a separate software package. I went looking for the tutorial I had found last week but couldn't find it again - you basically have the lightest version on the bottom, then do a select-all, copy, and paste it on the layer mask for the next darker one. I tried your first three exposures using that method but the middle exposure was too underexposed to make it work right, (but did discover that the Photoshop alignment feature worked well on them). Like any other method, there are limitations with it, but it can be useful sometimes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Which version of Photoshop are you using? CS4 has a feature to align layers by using features - it works quite well (I use it when stacking pictures to extend depth of field). Photomatix's alignment also works very well, better than DPHDR's automatic alignment. You have the ability to align the layers more or less manually, but I'll never mess with it - I don't have the patience.
Ahh, a good incentive to upgrade to version 4. I'm using CS1 and CS2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Also, have you tried to blend your layers using layer masks in Photoshop? It's another way to do it that doesn't require a separate software package. I went looking for the tutorial I had found last week but couldn't find it again - you basically have the lightest version on the bottom, then do a select-all, copy, and paste it on the layer mask for the next darker one. I tried your first three exposures using that method but the middle exposure was too underexposed to make it work right, (but did discover that the Photoshop alignment feature worked well on them). Like any other method, there are limitations with it, but it can be useful sometimes.
Nope, not an expert with the layers menu of Photoshop. Big thanks for the tip, and when you find that tutorial I would be pleased if you posted a link to it.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
you last shot does seem to work quite good.

and you have made your point that you can increase dynamic range without using an HDR program. which, i think its actually kind of interesting you have to make this point at all, seems how the hdr programs are relative newcomers to the game, and this kind of processing you present here is something landscapers have been doing variations on since the dawn of digital.

anyways thanks for sharing in detail the steps, i am sure it will be helpful for some to increase their "postprocess toolbox" so to speak.
Looking at the version posted by Bynx, and for that matter the versions I did myself using Photomatrix; they have more "punch." On the other hand, the version I did in Photoshop is far more realistic.

While a matter of taste (Bynx's version was not "sureal," just doesn't look like my apartment) I prefer realism in my photography. At some point the sureal becomes "Art," and not photography.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:01 AM   #15

i tried the images myself in photomatix and dynamic and easy hdr , dynamice also needed further adjustment to allign these images anyway here is one with easy hdr using the first 3 images posted and the bog standard settings .... i think i will need to get one of the cs photoshops tor try a few things out

Last edited by simple; Feb 22, 2010 at 12:16 AM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:03 PM   #16

Nice try Chato ; I didn't know I could produce results like this in photoshop, I learned something today! I agree that natural-looking HDR's are the best, that's my motivation of trying HDR i.e. showing on film what I'm seeing in real life. However I'm no photoshop hero, so using the limited presets in HDR software suits me better - but that's a personal choice. Nice work.
tsjiaotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:20 PM   #17

REALLY interesting exercise - and well executed! I think I'll try the 3-layer-technique myself

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 2:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Here is a final done your way by mixing your 3 exposures in Photoshop. Now that the sun has gone down and Im looking at my screen in the dark I can see this pic is way over exposed. But there is still detail in the shutters.
Bynx, are you a first-born in your family??? Just kidding... I just observe your keen attention to detail and get a photo right... Good work... I like the colours, contrast and all. What I really appreciate is seeing people working together on a photo to get it right, rather than just offering a few arm-chair comments... good to see some real substance in what could be done with a photo... good on you, mate. When I get my new camera, I will send pictures from here in Finland... go easy on me, though, for the first few pictures.

Take care.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 2:56 PM   #19

I have a younger sister who is an only child. I hope that answers your question. Thanks for your kind words and I look forward to seeing your work. Photos from Scandinavian countries are pretty popular here. Not sure if its because of the scenery or the photographic skills of the inhabitants.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 3:03 PM   #20

"A younger sister who is an only child"... what a scream! I wish I had the camera now, so I can send pictures of Finns jumping in a hole in the ice... or racing cars on the frozen lake... Thanks for the laugh. Take care.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote